Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to remove dizzy gear?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
last night i got the 13mm bolt off of the end of the crank

i also was able to remove the impeller mount from the crank unsing a slide hammer

i then removed the c ring from between the impeller mount and the dizzy gear

but i do not know how to remove the dizzy gear.

i dont want to use a screwdriver and risk damaging it and i know a slide hammer will trash it...

i need to remove the dizzy gear to get the crank bushing off, unless there is another way that i dont know about...

please help

-jim
bondo
There is a special tool that hooks around the back of the gear and has a flat pad on a threaded shaft that screws against the end of the crank. It's pressed on.. You might be able to fashion something for a slide hammer that hooks around the back of the gear, but I wouldn't reccomend it. The tool is C shaped, with the ID of the "C" just the right size to fit behind the gear. The gear is on VERY tight. You might be able to rent a suitable puller.
ws91420
Used a hydraulic press like one for wheel bearings off axle shafts to get mine off and used heat to reinstall it.
So.Cal.914
I use a gear puller to get it off , I am sure you can rent one. To put it back on is a

breeze, use a map gas torch and heat it up it will slide right back on. Just make

sure you seat it all the way up to the step on the crank.
McMark
Iff'n yer handy, you can use heat to take it off too. Especially the distributor drive gear, that one's easy. Heat it up (I used Oxy-Acetelyne, but MAPP would probably work and propane might) and use a nice thick leather glove to pull it off, or use a screwdriver to apply light pressure. Once it's heater up it should come off pretty easily.
shaggy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 1 2006, 08:13 PM) *

Iff'n yer handy, you can use heat to take it off too. Especially the distributor drive gear, that one's easy. Heat it up (I used Oxy-Acetelyne, but MAPP would probably work and propane might) and use a nice thick leather glove to pull it off, or use a screwdriver to apply light pressure. Once it's heater up it should come off pretty easily.

fire huh?...i like fire happy11.gif

so i need to remove all the oil first huh?

thatd prolly be good im thinkin'...

hopfully my friend will call me after he closes at his work tonight and tell me to come over so we can work through the night and it wont be 110* in the garage...

thanks!
-shaggy
So.Cal.914
Is the crank out of the case? If not I don't know if I would use fire, IMHO.

Thats what I get for assuming huh.gif

It was 117 here today, I was talking to a friend and he says " Yah but its a dry heat"

so I respond " Yah so is fire".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.