Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questioning oil temp gauge functionality
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass
My oil temp gauge seems to max out near the line drawn in the pic (maybe even a little below it), even after I've been running it for awhile, such as 45minutes at 70mph in 4th/5th on the expressway or an hour long fun run at 30 to 65mph in all gears. Or could it be staying that cool?
Click to view attachment
BigDBass
While I'm at it: Is it normal that my voltmeter bounces back and forth a bit with the turn signal?
type47
console oil temp gauge is generally viewed as a ballpark temp, not super accurate. if you wanted to really know, there is a company, imagine auto i think or something close to that, that sells a thermometer dipstick. you could calibrate your console gauge with the dipstick for better piece of mind.

yes, the console voltmeter does deflect with turn signal flashing.
drewvw

do you have a link for the thermo dipstick. I'd like to get one of those....
BigDBass
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 2 2006, 05:23 PM) *

console oil temp gauge is generally viewed as a ballpark temp, not super accurate. if you wanted to really know, there is a company, imagine auto i think or something close to that, that sells a thermometer dipstick. you could calibrate your console gauge with the dipstick for better piece of mind.

yes, the console voltmeter does deflect with turn signal flashing.

Thanks Jim! driving.gif
Joe Bob
The hand held IR Pyrometers sold by Summit Racing are more versatile...you ca use them for tire temps too...
73Phoenix20
My stock and freshly refreshed 73 2.0's Oil Temp Guage runs just a bit less than your indicator, when moving. Of course, it will creep up a bit if in a long idle, but never gets near the Red area of the guage. And I had it checked when the engine was redone so got to believe it is working relatively correctly.
newto914s
You could drop you sender in a pot of boil water and see what the gauge tells you. You'll know what 212F look like anyway(and that's around the top of the safe temps). I'm not sure if this is really a good idea, but I'm going to do it next time I change the oil.
Here you go check page two.
vertigo
Wow mine will only go about half of where yours is at most, guess it runs really cool (or is really off) My volt guage also bounces when blinker is on.
Rrrockhound
Try this for a dipstick temp gauge. I've been using it for several weeks and I like it. I have a pyrometer too but I trust this much more.
BigDBass
That thread linked by newto914s is excellent. Didn't find that one when searching.

That dipstick gauge is nice but it's a bit too pricy for me at the moment. It's now on my list, though!
newto914s
No problem.
I've directed like 5 people to that thread, and every time I do it it takes me little 20 minutes to find it. I have to save those pics slap.gif
Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.