Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear wheel bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slivel
I've searched the web for rear wheel bearings and find that Performance Products has the best price that I could find but don't they say who the manufacturer of the bearings is. I want to stay with a US or German bearing. Does anyone know if Perf Products bearings are quality bearings?

Steve
Midtowner
Just got these for my '73 2.0. smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Buy it from GPR. PProds bearings are probably German or Swedish, but why support a megacorp that barely cares about 914s? BTW, "American" bearings are likely to be reboxed European parts. FAG or SKF are the generally available and good quality parts. The Cap'n
Brad Roberts
You can also buy them from the dealer.

ALL 1997-99 Boxsters run them front and rear.

I agree about the mega corp thing.

GPR is a 914 friendly business.

B
J P Stein
You want FAGs....SKFs SUX.
eeyore
Minor hijack. Here's a picture showing the placement of spacers to use 911 hubs in 914 control arms.

The outer spacer (PMPCASPO) goes between the hub and the bearings. I didn't need the inner spacer.
Brad Roberts
Did you do that drawing?

B

Allan
I got mine HERE.

Super fast delivery.
eeyore
Yep
Brad Roberts
Cool. You have mad skills.

B
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 3 2006, 12:27 PM) *

You want FAGs....SKFs SUX.

Never had a problem with either in over 30 years. The Cap'n
Brad Roberts
Somewhere along the line, I *think* there was a bum batch of SKF's. Bontempi ran across some.

I have used both, but prefer the FAG's since I had to deal some bad SKF's out of the box.

I guess it kinda depends on how many wheel bearings you are doing over a course of a year. With all the AutoX cars + road racing cars I dealt with, we would replace both rears once a year (the fast guy's)

B
J P Stein
I had one. Bout .04 lateral slop....course ya don't know that till you put 250 ft/lbs of torque on the big effin' nut at the end of the job. headbang.gif

slivel
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 3 2006, 01:23 PM) *

Somewhere along the line, I *think* there was a bum batch of SKF's. Bontempi ran across some.

I have used both, but prefer the FAG's since I had to deal some bad SKF's out of the box.

I guess it kinda depends on how many wheel bearings you are doing over a course of a year. With all the AutoX cars + road racing cars I dealt with, we would replace both rears once a year (the fast guy's)

B

Mine have been on the car (track only) for about 5 years and they were definitely ready for replacement. The castle nut on the left side had rotated about 1/8 turn and almost severed the cotter pin. Just ordered replacements from here: http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/
JFJ914
QUOTE(Cloudbuster @ Jul 3 2006, 03:52 PM) *

Minor hijack. Here's a picture showing the placement of spacers to use 911 hubs in 914 control arms.

The outer spacer (PMPCASPO) goes between the hub and the bearings. I didn't need the inner spacer.

Is this so you can use the later (alloy arm) hubcentric parts that use the wider bearing? Are these spacers available? Where? $?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.