Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 cyl points replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
okay - the 914.6 conversion engine donor car (911) left me stranded last night - no spark. quick check shows the rubbing block is broken. car came with a spare set of points (thanks Rusty!) to get me going but the handwriting is on the wall... i have a MSD-6 and i'm not changing it - JUST need a points replacement to trigger it (and some other rpm-sensing stuff 911E's have...).

looks like the Allison/Crane "XR735" is a complete ignition system (Bosch CDI replacement) as well as an opto-shutter points replacement trigger - for ~ $125 and that what i actually need is the "Crane Optical Pickup Trigger" and "Crane Installation Kit" for ~ $75... is the Crane the one that'll release its life-giving smoke if i leave the ignition on 30 sec ? 'cause if so, that's not gonna be acceptable ...

i'm open to alternatives... anybody got any BDTD installation issues ? yes, i'll pull the dizzy for the install and yes, there's already a shaft O-ring on the shopping list ...

(and since the 911 was OTS i had to drive the company 3,0 V6 Audi A4 Quattro home last night, darnit :-) )
jtf914
Here is the optical trigger kit which works with the stock CD, not sure about it working with MSD.

Crane

I thought petronix was the one that spontaneously combusted if you left the ignition in the ON position.

-Justin
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Oct 10 2003, 05:56 AM)
Here is the optical trigger kit which works with the stock CD, not sure about it working with MSD.

Crane

I thought petronix was the one that spontaneously combusted if you left the ignition in the ON position.

thx. if it replaces points and works with the stock CD (which uses a point closure) it should work with the MSD - which was also working with a points closure.

these are the same units the Birdy site sells for about $15 more the set; i'll give the direct route the try this time, i think - especially if they're closer than a continent away... if i can get the car running and home tonight i'll still be on track for everything that's gotta be done before the AX on the 19th, andi can do the ignition update some evening next week... (these things always fail on Friday for me, making it impossible to get parts for the weekend ...)
jtf914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 10 2003, 09:23 AM)
these are the same units the Birdy site sells for about $15 more the set

SummitRacing sells the complete XR700 kit for $90, compared with $125 from you-know-who, made it an easy choice for me, and it showed up in two days.

-Justin
Joe Bob
Yeah I got mine from Summit, too.....did you have to use a tach signal converter on the HI-6?
jtf914
QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 10 2003, 10:44 AM)
did you have to use a tach signal converter on the HI-6?

I'm gonna have to. I just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet. Anything I should know before installing it??
jtf914
When I called Crane a few months ago they also suggested this Tach Adapter as a solution.

Note: The Install Instructions say not to use this adapter with a CD system.

-Justin
Joe Bob
I used one on the stock 914/6 I had....it was a no brainer....
J P Stein
That does it. mad.gif
I'm gonna fry my Pertronix if have to leave the ignition on all freakin' night. The SOB had been resisting my best efforts to kill it for bout 4-5 years.....whazzmatter, can't it READ?, does it lack internet access? does it not believe all I been tellin' it bout this stuff?
Maybe it's time to get out the smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
jtf914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 10 2003, 01:57 PM)
That does it. mad.gif
I'm gonna fry my Pertronix if have to leave the ignition on all freakin' night. The SOB had been resisting my best efforts to kill it for bout 4-5 years.....whazzmatter, can't it READ?, does it lack internet access? does it not believe all I been tellin' it bout this stuff?
Maybe it's time to get out the smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif

That's some funny shit!!!!! lol3.gif My permatune lasted alomst 20 years even though everyone kept telling me it was a POS. I killed it in the end sad.gif poor little guy never saw it coming smash.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Oct 10 2003, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 10 2003, 09:23 AM)
these are the same units the Birdy site sells for about $15 more the set

SummitRacing sells the complete XR700 kit for $90

don't need the CD box, already got the MSD workin' just fine - just need the trigger unit.

ordered direct from the Crane site - the unit was the same price as Summit but the install kit was $10 cheaper. an hour later i got an email saying they're outta stock but "guess what" - Summit has 'em. (Crane will have 'em around the 17th 'probably') (if i could wait for the 17th i wouldn't have specified 2nd Day Air shipping, woul i?)

so i pay $10 more for the parts plus the $10 'handling fee' and now it's $100 delivered instead of $75 -- but my car is PARKED and i've got too much to be done before the AX the 19th - and it's already gonna be a thrash making that happen if all i can work on it is evenings...

and i've developed a new and nontrivial oil leak topside somewhere, guessing it's probably an injection pump oil line. long as it's not the pump itself i'll be okay, i guess ...
TimT
I had the Allison (nee Crane trigger in my old 911 forabout 15 years) just set and forget...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.