Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel gauge only shows 1/2 tank even when tank is physically full.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
Don't know why it's not reading a full tank so I decided to take it apart and run some fine emory cloth over the sending wires and clean out the tube as there was a good amount of rust debris inside the tube. Here are the pictures:
http://www.aircoolednut.com/cmgallery/thum...ls.php?album=58

Very simple procedure. Just be VERY careful with the sending wires that the float glides on wink.gif smash.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jul 6 2006, 12:41 PM) *

Don't know why it's not reading a full tank so I decided to take it apart and run some fine emory cloth over the sending wires and clean out the tube as there was a good amount of rust debris inside the tube. Here's the pictures:
http://www.icbm.org/cmgallery/thumbnails.php?album=58

Very simple procedure. Just be VERY careful with the sending wires that the float glides on wink.gif smash.gif

Huh, yeah, don't know if it actually worked since I need to fill up the tank confused24.gif I did this yesterday after work. I'll let y'all know tonight or tomorrow at WCC happy11.gif
Dr Evil
Daaaaang, #11 looks new smilie_pokal.gif
tdgray
Nice Work Man beerchug.gif
KELTY360

Great pics, very helpful. Thanks.

Be sure to let us know if it worked.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Whoa, thanks for the reminder! Yes, it worked. My gauge now reads 4/4 when filled biggrin.gif Nice thing about our gas tanks is that you can look directly into the filler and see the fuel level -- yup, she's full!
KaptKaos
Great post and pix.

I nominate for Classics Thread status.
Katmanken
Yup,

That's the fix. One broke in my Ghia and used some resistor wire to fix.

Easy to find value of wire- measure resistance and distance to get ohms/ft.

Ken
casey944
The link is broken... can anybody help out with a new link or a link to the write up?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Hay : The link didn't work for me eather. Please send it to me. Mine is reading

wrong, if I fill it up to the top it reads 1/4 a tank low.

Thanks in advance Dave slap.gif
eric914
I'd also love if someone could fix link. My gauge doesent work either and I have tested the gauge.
Rod
Me too - Must be a common fault! Mine reads 3/4 when full. Brand new gauge, so I'd love to see the link, please smile.gif
Joe Bob
I've given up on my gauge in my assdragger....I just watch the mileage and fill up at 280-300 miles.

73 body, 83 frame and 93 motor...just too many mods to screw with.
nsr-jamie
Me too, something happened to the pics, I get nothing here.
914Sixer
I have found if you soak the bottom half in lacquer thinner and let it get inside it will clean the float and wires. Shake the unit and listen for the float to travel up and down the wires. This way you do not have to disassemble the unit.
Spoke
I had the same problem with my sender except it was frozen at 1/4 tank. After cleaning, I also plugged up a couple of the large holes at the bottom of the sender body, leaving just the smaller holes at the bottom open. This in effect slowed the movement of fuel in and out of the sender thus calming down the movement of the gauge when the car was turning.
iamchappy
My gauge was always 1/4 low, I tested it with a few extra senders i had laying around, I hooked up the sender and flipped the sender upside down so it should read full on the gauge and just adjusted the needle on my gauge to read correctly, mine works perfect now....
gasman
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 6 2009, 06:08 AM) *

My gauge was always 1/4 low, I tested it with a few extra senders i had laying around, I hooked up the sender and flipped the sender upside down so it should read full on the gauge and just adjusted the needle on my gauge to read correctly, mine works perfect now....

Gee...I unstalled a new sender with same results...At full, my gauge still reads 3/4. Can you tell me how to "adjust" the gauge....Thnaks
jim_hoyland
Link doesn't workie...
Air_Cooled_Nut
Link fixed. Thanks Jim for the heads up.

For any link by me that shows ".icbm.org/", simply change it to ".aircoolednut.com/". I sold my domain name and have the new one.
McMark
We can't turn this into a Classic Thread if the data is somewhere else which may potentially disappear in the future.

Post your pictures here as well. And we'll get it put into the classics.
iamchappy
i just helped the needle a bit, when my gauge was unpowered the needle was pinned all they way to the left now it rests at the left side of the reserve light panel.
Rod
Hey Iamchappy - I recently fitted a new gauge, as above when unpowered it sits far left on it's stop - should I move the needle so it sits just below minimum, when unpowered?

I'd prefer it to read wrong at max rather than minimum :lol:
iamchappy
I just ran out and snapped a blurry picture of it. It rests on the right side of the reserve light panel now. Before i moved it, it was on the left side of it which made up for the 1/4 tank error..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.