Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crank case venting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
I'm running a set of Dellorto's and I have the official Delloroto breather box.

Now the setup I bought had the breather box designed to attach to the valve covers of both heads and one line to the oil filler box breather. There is one more port on the breather box that on mine was plumbed into a big hole someone made in the lid of one of the air cleaners to suck in the vapors. Now I imagine this all worked dandy, but it puts a huge hole in the lid of one of the carbs! blink.gif

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to deal with this? Right now I have the intake hose venting out the back of the engine compartment, but I get the odd draft of oil fumes.

Thanks!

-JR-
So.Cal.914
Pictures would make this alot easier, it's hard to give an answer when half of the question is missing
SLITS
Just put a hole with a 90 degree plastic elbow in the air cleaner top....this will draw the fumes back into the intake tract to be burned

or

extend the hose farther so the fumes don't get sucked back into the cockpit....
-JR-
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 7 2006, 06:13 AM) *

Just put a hole with a 90 degree plastic elbow in the air cleaner top....this will draw the fumes back into the intake tract to be burned

or

WTF.gif This is just what I'm trying to avoid! As mentioned in the opening post, I'm trying to avoid the big ass hole in the air cleaner lid of one of the Dellortos.
Cap'n Krusty
Venting the crankcase fumes into the atmosphere has been illegal in the US since 1965. Decidedly nasty for the air we breathe. Do it right, vent it to an aircleaner like a good boy. The Cap'n
Brad Roberts
I have always found it beneficial to pull a vaccuum on the crankcase.. cant exactly do that with carbs.

Slits was actually joking about the "back in the cabin thing" biggrin.gif

I thought it was funny.

B
-JR-
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 7 2006, 07:29 AM) *

Venting the crankcase fumes into the atmosphere has been illegal in the US since 1965. Decidedly nasty for the air we breathe. Do it right, vent it to an aircleaner like a good boy. The Cap'n

Good thing I'm not in the states. bootyshake.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(-JR- @ Jul 7 2006, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 7 2006, 07:29 AM) *

Good thing I'm not in the states. bootyshake.gif

Not a good reason. The Cap'n
Rand
Plumbing the oil breather into the air intake is normal. Why are you against that? I guess you could go with a puke bottle.
Kargeek
My set up- I think I vent the crankcase to the air but, the fuel canister is vented to the carbs. I added a vent to one of my air cleaners. DH
SLITS
QUOTE(-JR- @ Jul 7 2006, 07:14 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 7 2006, 06:13 AM) *

or

WTF.gif This is just what I'm trying to avoid! As mentioned in the opening post, I'm trying to avoid the big ass hole in the air cleaner lid of one of the Dellortos.

Well WTF.gif back....... av-943.gif

1.) You can drill your manifolds for a hose and thereby keep the "bling" in your air cleaners.

2.) You can run the vent hose to a canister and still smell the fumes.

3.) Or you can ask and I'll send you an air cleaner top with the hole already drilled (Webers, Dells, makes no difference).

4.) You can get an electric vacuum pump and hook it to your vent hose, but alas, the fumes will still be present.

5.) You can run a vacuum valve in the exhaust (look it up in old Hot Rod magazines or your nearest library under exhaust extraction or something like that). I will not be responsible for fire however.

6.) You can drill the hole in the bottom plate thereby keeping your top plate "bling"

Hey, that's all the ideas I have....

Next confused24.gif

LowGT
I have to do this with my car, but it leads me to a question since everyone mentions having a line to one carb. Won't that put a good deal of carbon deposits on only two cylinders of the car? Wouldn't it be better to run a single line to each carb to distribute the carbon deposits evenly across all 4 cylinders?

Discuss. smile.gif
redshift
QUOTE(Kargeek @ Jul 7 2006, 08:42 PM) *

My set up- I think I vent the crankcase to the air but, the fuel canister is vented to the carbs. I added a vent to one of my air cleaners. DH

Don't you go posting crappy pictures of your ugly car.

If you add oil, and gas, it might get dirty, but it will be almost as much fun as parking it in that bubble you have it in.

smile.gif

M
Kargeek
[quote]If you add oil, and gas, it might get dirty, but it will be almost as much fun as parking it in that bubble you have it in.

Your pretty close with that statement, right now as I lost my shop/ garage space, my car is stuffed along with shop tools in a rented 40 foot container...

DH
redshift
sheesh! Sorry about that..

Well, it looks like a parts display!

M
-JR-
QUOTE(Kargeek @ Jul 7 2006, 05:42 PM) *

From your pic it looks like you have foam air cleaners, which I think I might change to. I can't add a breather through my ribbed air cleaners unfortunetly.

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 7 2006, 08:50 PM) *

1.) You can drill your manifolds for a hose and thereby keep the "bling" in your air cleaners.

2.) You can run the vent hose to a canister and still smell the fumes.

3.) Or you can ask and I'll send you an air cleaner top with the hole already drilled (Webers, Dells, makes no difference).
//
6.) You can drill the hole in the bottom plate thereby keeping your top plate "bling"

Some good ideas there...

1. Won't that cause a huge ass vacume leak?

2. Hmm... Trying to get no fumes.

3. I have an air cleaner top with a hole in it now that I am replacing.

6. I can't find a spot in the bottom plate that would work, unless you know of a spot? The only area in the bottom plate that is accessable seems to come out under the sealing surface of the air cleaner.

Thanks for all the good tips guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.