Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: valve adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I'm going to adjust the valves tomorrow, 1st time with the motor in. Do I need to remove the HE's??
Cap'n Krusty
Only if your a 10th degree black belt masochist. Use my vlave adjustment method mentioned in the "Classic Threads".

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=28758

Have fun! The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
have fun!

small hands help
elwood-914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 7 2006, 03:51 PM) *

have fun!

small hands help

You know what they say about small hands.....Aaron poke.gif
toon1
from the have fun comment I gather it's not but I have to get er done!

dang!! I got big hands, oh well you know what they say about big hands and feet??(if only it were trueLOL)

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 7 2006, 03:51 PM) *

have fun!

small hands help

elwood-914
Piece of cake. When I am planning a valve adjustment I put it up the night before on the ramps so I do not have to start the engine in the morning. Takes about 20 to 40 minutes depending how much I screw around. Seems awkward at first but you get the hang of it rather quickly. Do the Capt's and there is an article on the Pelican site too.
toon1
20 to 40 min?? that's pretty quick, seems like it would take longer. I will find out tomorrow
QUOTE(elwood-914 @ Jul 7 2006, 04:09 PM) *

Piece of cake. When I am planning a valve adjustment I put it up the night before on the ramps so I do not have to start the engine in the morning. Takes about 20 to 40 minutes depending how much I screw around. Seems awkward at first but you get the hang of it rather quickly. Do the Capt's and there is an article on the Pelican site too.

Rand
Keep some pocket change handy.... A coin is handy up/under there for turning the adjuster in that short space.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 7 2006, 04:27 PM) *

Keep some pocket change handy.... A coin is handy up/under there for turning the adjuster in that short space.

Neat trick, I will give that a shot next time I do my valves. Even with a stubby driver it is pretty cramped trying to lock down the nut and hold the adjuster at the same time.
Aaron Cox
a penny and an offset sloted screwdriver are your friends...

with a header and cro-mo pushrods, it takes me 7-10 minutes smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
If yopu use a 1/4" tip screwdriver, or even a 3/8 tip, between 12 and 18" long, you can get right in there from the outside. All 8 of 'em. Trust me, I've been doing this for 33 years. An offset wrench is nice, too.

One like this (sorry for the crude attempt at drawing!)

__
\______________
\__

Mine's an old SK, but I'm sure there are others. The Cap'n

Edit: The picture didn't work! Oh, well .............
anthony
I highly recommend the Pelican article for a 1st timer. The turning the wheel from underneath the car trick is a great time saver.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alve_adjust.htm

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 7 2006, 05:07 PM) *

I highly recommend the Pelican article for a 1st timer. The turning the wheel from underneath the car trick is a great time saver.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alve_adjust.htm

Time saver? Only takes 3 times as long as my way. Even with all the valves out, I can do them in 10 minutes, covers on to covers on. Of course, I've done a zillion, and I use a lift. My way is just simpler. Period. The Cap'n
anthony
The version posted in the classic thread somewhat requires that people know what they are doing. I just think the Pelican article with all of it's step by step instructions and purty pictures is better for a first timer.
BigDBass
I have no idea when my valves were last adjusted. The PO had never even heard of valve adjustment. I'm in denial cuz I'm antidimated* intimidated. pinch.gif

*Edit: WTF.gif antidimated? smoke.gif drunk.gif

**EditEdit:
adjustment. I'm in denial cuz I'm antidimated* intimidated.
*Edit: WTF.gif antidimated?

And now you see why
SGB
You do want to be sure you have solid lifters, not hydrualic ones like me. Hydro lifters are ~supposed~ to be set & forget, and thats pretty true, but it is kinda annoying to get 'em all screwed up using the traditional valve adjust method. So now is they question "how do I know if they are solid or hydraulic?" and as far as I know the best indicator is the use of a spring in the center part of the rocker assembly holding the valves in place on hydraulic lifter conversions. Another apparent characteristic is that the hydro lifters will compress a little when pressed on. This topic has been addressed here and at pelicanparts pretty completely.
scottb
first time i did it was about 30 minutes....

did it again last tuesday with the headers off in about 10.

i really like dave hunts explanation of the procedure. really clicked for me. your mileage may vary....

cheers,

scott

valve adjustment
Dr Evil
As far as screw drivers to use, the tiny (about 1" total length) 1/4" tipped screw drivers in the buckets at Harbor Freight for $.49 would probably work quite well here.

Just my $.02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.