Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 and Subaru owners, contribute!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lapuwali
In the Classic threads forum, there's a new Conversions FAQ. I've added the Six conversion section (since I'm in the middle of doing one, I think I know enough to answer this).

I know zippo about V8 or Subaru conversions, so if you've done one and would like to contribute, please write up something more or less in the same format, and PM it to me. I'll edit it for spelling, grammer, etc., and will list you as the contributor in the section. If more than one person delivers good stuff, I'll merge as required and credit all of you.

If you've ever done a 915 or 930 conversion, detail there would also be very helpful. Since this is common to several kinds of engine swaps, I'll add a specific "What's involved in a 915/930 conversion" section.

Crazyhippy
I've done a few (dozen) V8's and JUST finshed a Subaru (tuning the standalone still), and will be happy to write one over the weekend.

BJH
BIGKAT_83
Good idea..................I've done cad drawings for the engine mounts, and water pumps and alt. mounts for both a SBC and a LS1 914 conversion. I also wrote up a instruction sheet for a 914 V8 tach conversion and how to calibrate it. I'll put the dwg. files in pdf format and post in the classics forum later.

Bob
lapuwali
You can't actually post in the Classics forum, so PM anything to me.

I want to be clear, this isn't a detailed HOW to do a V8 conversion topic (that would be way too long, and really require a tech article), but more of a "I'm thinking of doing a V8 conversion, what's involved, and how much does it cost?" kind of topic.

I think it would be great if someone did write up a blow-by-blow thread, with photos and diagrams, of how to do a V8 conversion. That would go into the Classic Threads section right away.

I'm going to try to do just that for a Six conversion. I have to get all of the parts, first.
Andyrew
If you would like, I could make one...

lapuwali
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 7 2006, 07:05 PM) *

If you would like, I could make one...

I'd love to see something from you, esp. for the low-buck angle. I considered just sending you a PM directly on the subject, since I think you're one of the definitive authorities on the subject.
Andyrew
Glad to be of authority!

If you would like, I can focus on the low buck aspect, and the other guys can write the other stuff... Or I could write a whole shebang, and you can take what you want... but im kinda lazy... and dont feel like writing 4 pages... lol

lapuwali
Write whatever you feel like writing, and I'll paste it all together.
lapuwali
V8 guys. We have a Subaru section, and a 911 section, but still no V8 section. The existing sections are an excellent template for how to write one.
turboman808
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jul 7 2006, 03:35 PM) *

JUST finshed a Subaru (tuning the standalone still), and will be happy to write one over the weekend.

You can't use the original ECU? Haven't looked much into the subaru ECUs but I kinda figured the codes have been figured out and people would be rewriting the stock one by now.
lapuwali
Yes, you can use the stock ECUs. Lots of people have done so.
bondo
Once I've sucessfully done it, I'll write up a bit about what it takes to make an LT1 fit, and why it's not easy. smile.gif

(with stock intake manifold)
neo914-6
James,

There's tons of info already written, we just need a summary for a newbie considering the conversion. Ideally a flow chart. I'm time broke at the moment but I'm sure others can/will contribute.

I'd post these thread links to start:
-non-OEM conversions on 914world.com
-propricers book in Resources
-Andyrew
-Dr Roger
-Skline
-Nickm
-nine14cats
-914GT
-wbertho
-drive-ability
-byunbads M-?
-Chris Julian
-Ajracer
-my Jaideresurrection
-John2k

there are likely more I missed...
lapuwali
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 17 2006, 03:52 PM) *

James,

There's tons of info already written, we just need a summary for a newbie considering the conversion.

A summary is all I'm interested in, as the other sections show. I'd just prefer someone who's actually done (or is in the midst) of doing a conversion to write one up, rather than myself, since I've not done one. I will happily summarize other summaries, however.
neo914-6
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 17 2006, 03:55 PM) *

James,

There's tons of info already written, we just need a summary for a newbie considering the conversion.

A summary is all I'm interested in, as the other sections show. I'd just prefer someone who's actually done (or is in the midst) of doing a conversion to write one up, rather than myself, since I've not done one. I will happily summarize other summaries, however.

OK, I have one written with a mostly generic viewpoint. My conversion spans 20+ years beginning with a Jaide kit, added Simpson parts, having Brad and crew get it running a few years ago, to switching to the full Renegade conversion. What's your email addy?
lapuwali
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 18 2006, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 17 2006, 03:55 PM) *

James,

OK, I have one written with a mostly generic viewpoint. My conversion spans 20+ years beginning with a Jaide kit, added Simpson parts, having Brad and crew get it running a few years ago, to switching to the full Renegade conversion. What's your email addy?

PM it, or hit the email button...
Dr. Roger
i'm in. I was alredy thinking of a condensed progress summary without all the fluff. "to V8 or not to V8. That is the question".
neo914-6

PM it, or hit the email button...

yes, but doesn't allow attaching word doc...
lapuwali
Emailing me a word doc won't work, anyway. I don't do Word (I'm one of those Unix weenies). Save it as a text file. I'll fix any formatting problems.
neo914-6
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 18 2006, 01:45 PM) *

I'm one of those Unix weenies)

What's Unix? screwy.gif Weenie yes! laugh.gif

Thanks for doing this James. It's still a part of the site not easily found (by me)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.