Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #269 Rust - Is it too far gone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mr914
2013 note...

Lesson 1- before attempting this at home, get the alignment checked on a frame machine. I built custom door/chassis reinforcement bars before going on the rotisserie. Assuming that the PO had repaired the longitudinals correctly.

After 12 years, the car finally landed on the jack stands. As the original Dorris were thoroughly rusted out, I had replacement doors. Bolted the replacement doors on, and the don't fit. Bolted original doors on and they do with funky gaps....

Put the reinforcement bars on and the fit like I had built them.. huh.gif looked at how the front strut upper plates were located. One has never moved based on factory tar, the other one had been moved 1/4-3/8"

Damn, why didn't I catch that years ago... headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Did test assemble, top, doors gaskets. Car is square but the longs appear to be bowed, fortunately evenly.

Put the reinforcement bars on and they fit like I had built them.. headbang.gif headbang.gif

Based on the targa top fitment, it Looks like the car is bowed 1/8-3/16".

With the replacement doors, the front gap is good and even, the rear is 3/8" high at the body line (stack of 5 US Quarters).

Hung the original doors, drivers door is spot on, rusted at the bottom and evidence of a cut and re weld between the hinges. Damn-it, unbolted the doors, put them on the shelf in the basement and ignored them for 10+ years

About .040 in shims and the new doors are on and the gap varies by about 1/8"

More of that story, at the end of the post

Back to the original post...

Well, I have the car mostly stripped and up on a rotiserie.

When I got the car I saw the rust on the Sail panel, cowl, edges of the rear fenders and 2 small holes in the floor board.

Now that I have stripped it, It's much worse.

It's a '70 914-6 #269

What do you think?

CAUTION: SCROLLING DOWN MAY MAKE YOU SICK barf.gif or DRINK HEAVILY beer3.gif
mr914
Under the gas tank
mr914
More under the fuel tank
mr914
What's left on the pass side to attach the floor pan to... view 1
Brad Roberts
I think its a 9146 and some good 4cyl sheet metal should be utilized for the repairs.

It appears your semi setup to take this on.. jump in.

B
mr914
What's left on the pass side to attach the floor pan to... view 2
mr914
What's left on the pass side to attach the floor pan to... view 3
mr914
What's left on the pass side to attach the floor pan to... view 4
mr914
What's left on the pass side to attach the floor pan to... view 5
Bleyseng
Doesn't look that bad too me for a six. How are the longs?

Geoff
mr914
Inside front fender 1
mr914
Lower portion of front inner fender
mr914
Battery box area
mr914
More battery box
Brad Roberts
I think you 'really' have to love the 914's to tackle this project. But I have seen worse..

I have another 9146 tub down the street from me for 1000$ (complete roller) that is a tad better than this one. The floorpans are more solid.

B
Brad Roberts
Damn.. the one area that is solid.

This is a salt infested northern car... no doubt about it.

Sat in a field with snow after being driven for years in the ice and snow.

B
mr914
I've got most of the parts and some cutouts from donor 4's.

The kicker is the area between (and including) the master cylinder mount to the passenger foot well.

Everything I've looked at for donors is trashed there.
mr914
First time I've ever seen rust in the cowl area.

The longitudinals are basicly sold. Someone else did a good job of stiching in some repairs. There is some portions of the lower longitudinals that are crappy.
Brad Roberts
Not in this state.

Matter of fact.. I think I still have Jenny's left over from her wreck. It might still be good.

Just dont ask me to ship it this year. I cant get the parts out that I have already cut.

B
mr914
This year????

I'm in Michigan, This is probbably the last weekend to do much before it's time to put on the parka.....

I think I'll blast some more undercoating off and primer seal the car for the winter.

BTW: I made my own rotiserie
mr914
I agree with the salt.

It appears that the car was zbarted in the early 70's after it started to rust.

I'm convinced most of the floor pan rust was becuase the PO had the wrong size tires on, causing the undercoating to be rubbed off of the inner fenderwell.

Then being hidden by the foam block. The rust did its thing.

Some off the local 914 guys have known of this car for years.

One suggested that most of the problem was because the car sat in a unheated garage on concrete for years.

Needless to say, it's a complete Rust-or-ation.

More photos to come
morgan
Why not just retub it. you can find a good tub that is the same year. there just a few things that are diferent from a 4
John chatsmiley.gif
Brad Roberts
Are you and George Hussey related ??

Ranks right up there with all the DZ302 Z28's that where never built from the factory.

B
morgan
On second thought, buy brads. You will save so much time and money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought a tub from la la land to redo my 916/6
It got hit hard in the front. It was just better to start with a better tub
John
Brad Roberts
I just see a lot of "crap" floating around when it comes to these cars. Anything I can do to stop it now and in the future.. I will.

I'm not a fan of swapping VIN's.. can you tell ?? laugh.gif

B
morgan
Retubbing a car is ONLY OK if you tell people you did that.
I have seen to many asshole out there Lie cheat about there cars. When my car is done There will be a book of pictures to go with it.
John
mr914
But if I re tub it. It would not be original.

The major problem is in the front floor pan area to under the gas tank.

The sail panel on the pass side won't be that bad. Or at least much less of a nightmare than the front part.

Both trunks are in great shape!

The other option is to drop the 6 into my '71 4cyl and ignore the 6 carcass for a couple of years. The 71 already has the stiffening kit, M struts etc etc etc....
ChrisFoley
I've repaired all of those areas with new sheetmetal before (except for an entire floor), but a donor car would make it go quicker.
Definitely worth saving IMO.
Lotus914
Mike Galloway (Mike's 914's) may have some donor sheet metal or could do a top-notch job of the welding over the winter, and would charge you Canadian funds. Get a primed tub back in the spring! He's near Toronto 905-922-8987.

Dave
914werke
Um ..I guess the questions are: what is more importent, that it is "Original" blink.gif ,
or that your wallet has not been pillaged and you can DRIVE your teener smash.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Lotus914 @ Oct 11 2003, 06:06 PM)
Mike Galloway (Mike's 914's) may have some donor sheet metal or could do a top-notch job of the welding over the winter, and would charge you Canadian funds. Get a primed tub back in the spring! He's near Toronto 905-922-8987.

Dave

I second that...
For someone in the northeast, who may want work done, Mike is a great guy.

With the Canadian dollar you will be paying around .60 cents on the US dollar.
But he would make a deal on the total (or part) job that you want done.

He hasn't updated his web page in ages but here it is.

http://members.tripod.com/mike4g/
mr914
Thanks for the input.

I'll have to check with Mike as Toronto is only a couple of hours from here (once you get thru the border).

As far as driving, I already have a teener and an eleven, so I'm not without the Porsche Driving Experience.

Love indian summer, Drove the 911 to work today.

I have some of the donor parts already. It's just the middle section that surprised me.
mr914
I noticed something different last night.

My 914-6 has two rubber grommets for the fuel lines to go thru. While my '71 4cyl has a rubber block.

Anyone know when the factory changed to the other style?
ChrisFoley
My parts catalog doesn't even list the two grommet style. The single grommet is listed for all models.
Rusty
My /6 has two grommets, too. The only reason I noticed it is because I changed out the fuel lines. Never thought about it before you mentioned it.

-Rusty smoke.gif
mr914
Mine is basicly gone.

I'm thinking about making a box to use bulkhead fittings -6 for braided lines for a replacement.
mr914
Front trunk is good
mr914
Except under one headlight bucket
mr914
How close do you park your Porsches in your garage? blink.gif

Dial up sucks! barf.gif Rather use the T1 at work aktion035.gif
mr914
No, I did not scratch either. Pulled mirror out for effect. blink.gif

Normally part 2-3 inches apart smile.gif
mr914
Living on a dirt road sucks. icon8.gif

Not to mention doing a restoration in the other part of the garage! headbang.gif

Nose needs minor attention
mr914
Better shot of the pass longitudinal
mr914
What's left of mounting the left floor panel to icon8.gif
mr914
Are you sick yet? icon8.gif Or ready to drink heavily? beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

I LOVE THESE CARS smilie_flagge6.gif Thanks for reinforceing my project to save #269 clap56.gif

Front fender is not too bad
mr914
Except the back part
mr914
Don't forget the lower part...
mr914
Front part of the drivers rocker
mr914
Pass vent area from inside....

MORE HORORS FROM THE PASS SIDE SOON idea.gif
mr914
Drivers front trunk gasket area
mr914
Drivers side, under dash, behind windsheild.

Yes, I tried to spot weld it in.... ohmy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.