Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GGR AX #5 today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
Randal
QUOTE(Steve_7x @ Jul 11 2006, 06:06 PM) *

Well stated Dan.

I have been tempted to go Home Depot and buy a 25 foot long length of plastic chain and go take it out on a course walk.

Better yet it would be a good thing to have in each Regions Trailer.

Steve

Don't worry I already have a 30 foot wide marker as I try to make all my course wider. That's why I got so concerned on Saturday when I heard 20 wide (period, i.e., no larger than). Didn't make any sense.

Trekkor
That's the great thing about the gridded concrete at Marina.

You just tell all the helpers in the morning, "one and a half squares wide, please" ( 30 feet )

KT
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 11 2006, 05:54 PM) *

JP the problem is that the folks desingning our courses have not read the rule book and don't know the minimum standards. Every AX I go to I end up pacing off many areas and widening them to at least the minimum...did it at least a dozen or more times last weekend.
As you say...it is the minimum and does not say anything about a maximum...
I remember a gate at a specific AX a couple years ago that 914s and narrow body 911s could go thru but all the other newer, wider, cars had to negotiate around....yielding a higher time for those newer cars. Someone did not read the rules when setting up that course.

the one that gets me is the lining of the course with chalk or using the terrain, and then placing cones to line the course. The cones are to be placed outside of the chalk or terrain boundries.
I don't see this as a sea of cones but to use the cones as markers denoting direction changes, apexes, or walls to slow folks down.

OK Dan now I need your expert help.

If I look at the SCCA book it shows the lines intersecting the cones. If you read (page 47 of 121) of the SCCA book it says lines should not be so far outside the cones as to not be visable, when someone is lining outside the cones.

It also says that the lining of the course shouldn't overlap the correct line, as open wheel drivers will tell you right away.

So it sounds optional, but it doesn't ever say to line inside the cones..
DanT
Our rules specifically state that the terrain and or the chalk are the boundries of the course. NO part of the pylon shall be inside the course boundries.
What this says to me is that the base of the pylon should be right on the chalk line or terrain boundry. Not way off to the outside but not inside either.
So the chalk and the terrain are really what delineates the course....if you read our rules with a strict interpretation. dry.gif

You are right Randal...I looked at the SCCA book also and got that same impression.
Trekkor
I like it when the chalk line is on the inside of the cones. That way you can run over the chalk and not hit a cone.

I don't ever drive, "by the chalk". I just know it's there, out of the corner of my eye wink.gif

KT
DanT
According to zone 7 rules the chalk line is always supposed to be inside the pylons. slap.gif
grantsfo
SCCA courses have been much more fun for me to drive. More open and easier to navigate. More time spent on getting every last ounce of momentum out of the car rather than going into a sea of cones on an unneccesarily tight course. Nice flow as well.

Trekkors designs at Marina were good - especially the one with the loop. Redwood region is a blast too! hard to get lost at that venue. I enjoyed SVR AX a couple years ago as well.

Many of the GGR courses are confusing etc. However I just appreciate that people volunteer to run these things and design the course regardless of how it turns out. I have a real appreciation for the hard work people put into these events.

But having said that seems to me when you have a big field of cars with huge variation in driving skills that simplifying a course leads to safer enviroment and ulimately more runs due to fewer reruns. Lots of reruns this past Saturday due to course workers not being able to get back in time after cones were knocked down. We had a couple close calls at my station as well. Also reduces the amount of people needed to work a course. Seems like some real simple guidelines could be developed for those with little course design expereince.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.