Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Dr Evil Trans install in No VA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ws91420
Okay on Sun July 23rd Mike will be coming down and helping to install the trans he rebuilt for my car and maybe a couple of other small projects (19mm MC and replacing prop valve with a tee. All are invited to help and swap stories. Food will be provided and sodas/tea. This is in Leesburg VA. A head count by the 20th would be appreciated. Sound off on this thread or PM me and I will PM the address to you.

driving.gif jsharp.gif
type47
darn! i'm missin' more stuff because of my STOOPID vacation cool_shades.gif . i already missed 5 bill kirchen performances because i'm in salt lake city UT, and 2 of them were FREE! maybe next time

ain't she sweet?!Click to view attachment
plas76targa
Welby,

Leesburg is just too darned close to Frederick! I want to be there on the 23rd but that depends on when I return from my STOOPID vacation. PM me an address and phone number, and if we're back by the 23rd I'll try to make it.
scottb
just over the potomac at whites ferry!! how could i say no?!

count me in unless there is something that i promised the wife and forgot about! blink.gif

time, contact info and directions would be most appreciated.

also, let me know if there are any tools etc. that are needed. if i can chase down the latest exhaust leak, i will be there in my '73.

cheers,

scott
terrymason
I should be getting a new 74 tomorrow night, so I might just swing by. PM me the info.

Terry
zymurgist
I'll ping Babydoll's owner and see if she's up for it. It's halfway between my house (Washington County, Md.) and hers (southern Fairfax County).
ws91420
PM's sent

jsharp.gif beer3.gif
Kerrys914
driving.gif

What's the best way around DC coming up from Richmond on I95? I really don't want to do DC traffic in my 914.. blink.gif blink.gif headbang.gif confused24.gif

Looks to be about a 2.5hr drive for me drunk.gif
Dr Evil
Yes, come one come all to see the tranny monkey at work. No, not a cross gendered simian, but a real life ape with mechanical skills! happy11.gif

Hey Kerry, I think I have a tranny for that thing we were talking about...and some good parts idea.gif

monkeydance.gif Oh ya!
Kerrys914
Nice work Dr. smile.gif I still have the guts and case from the one you tore up..

Shhhhhhhhh ph34r.gif ph34r.gif aktion035.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Kerrys914 @ Jul 11 2006, 09:01 PM) *

driving.gif

What's the best way around DC coming up from Richmond on I95? I really don't want to do DC traffic in my 914.. blink.gif blink.gif headbang.gif confused24.gif

Looks to be about a 2.5hr drive for me drunk.gif

I'm thinking I-95 to the Prince William Parkway to Va. 28 (Manassas), continuing on to either the Dulles Greenway or Va. 7. If Caroline goes (she's on a family vacation sans Babydoll), you might be able to meet her along the way.
ws91420
I sent him a PM sending up to 17 here at Fredericksburg and 15/29 up to Leesburg.
zymurgist
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jul 11 2006, 09:47 PM) *

I sent him a PM sending up to 17 here at Fredericksburg and 15/29 up to Leesburg.

That should work, too. I'm not really fond of 15 from the Potomac to Leesburg... too many cars to have much fun on two lane blacktop... but that's my planned route.
jimkelly
It is on sunday - not much traffic at all.

Just take 95 north to 495 west/north to tysons corner and then take route 7 which is also known as leesburg pike - west to leesburg.

grasshopper
I'm in.... but it seems that I have not seem any tranny work at either the fredrick or pittsburg get-together.... Just a whole bunch of BS. Do you promise I will get to see some tranny work?? I refuse to get under a car and work this time though...
Dr Evil
Actually young Padawan, the tranny is finished here at the Evil layer. We would just be putting it in and maybe trying it out (other factors permitting). Your gonna have to come up here to the layer if you wanna see/do some work onthe inside goodies. I still have Brian's to do before then idea.gif
grasshopper
hhmm...I'm listening... I need another excuse for a road trip.
Dr Evil
The evening of the 19th I am a free man! So, I will be busting ass on Brian's tranny so it will be ready for him the folloing night. I could use someone to clean all of the parts idea.gif confused24.gif wink.gif

PM me and we can talk....and I need to check with Noel of course. i guess I am gonna have some parts for you from Brian or something.
grasshopper
I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow. I got to get to bed...and get five hours of sleep before I have to get up and go to the doctors tomorrow...
Dr Evil
Damn doctors think they know everything! Oh wait, why am I up at 2am....because I need to know everything.

Man, I have learned so much I have forgotten.
scottb
woo hoo!

another evil trany on the right coast. this part of the country is gonna have the smoothest shifting transaxles around..... now about the east coast rust.... dry.gif

burnout.gif

aktion035.gif
crash914
hmmmm...I just pulled my engine, I wonder if anyone wants show and tell, we could use mine....I have never opened mine up. I know it had the first gear dog teeth replaced but it still has a sucky first syncro...

My motor is out until at least mid July as I am waiting for new spacers and completion of the fender flairs....
jtf914
Damn, can't make it.... maybe next time.
terrymason
I'm stoked for this. Still pretty new at the 914 thing myself. I've got a 71 that's now forsale, and will get my second - a 74 tonight. I've got a few things to do to the 74 before she's right. Anyone know why hot air would come out all the time, reguardless of the heater position ;-)

I'm pretty local - are there any tools that we need? I've got some air tools, jack stands, cheapo welder, breaker bars, etc.
VaccaRabite
July 23rd is currently open for me. If there is stuff to do let me know and I may trek down. Otherwise, I'll be welding my rotesserie together.

Zach
bob
all-
I should be able to make it... if I get the exhaust on the six, I'll bring that.

-bob
Dr Evil
QUOTE(crash914 @ Jul 12 2006, 07:32 AM) *

hmmmm...I just pulled my engine, I wonder if anyone wants show and tell, we could use mine....I have never opened mine up. I know it had the first gear dog teeth replaced but it still has a sucky first syncro...

My motor is out until at least mid July as I am waiting for new spacers and completion of the fender flairs....

Drain it, bring it and we can look at the insides. Diagnosis is always free biggrin.gif
scottb
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 12 2006, 10:03 AM) *

Drain it, bring it and we can look at the insides. Diagnosis is always free biggrin.gif

DON"T DRAIN IT!!!

it is really funny what happens when you leave a full trany for mike to take apart. and wrap it up in a grease soaked moving blanket too. he appreciates the thought.

poke.gif
ws91420
QUOTE(scottb @ Jul 13 2006, 06:21 PM) *

DON"T DRAIN IT!!!

it is really funny what happens when you leave a full trany for mike to take apart. and wrap it up in a grease soaked moving blanket too. he appreciates the thought.

poke.gif

Not in my garage you don't dry.gif LOL
plas76targa
ScottB = Grease and Oil stains where ever he goes! laugh.gif
ws91420
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Jul 13 2006, 06:24 PM) *

So I need to get the 55 gal drum of degreaser then av-943.gif
scottb
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Jul 13 2006, 06:24 PM) *

your wife still mad matt? you didn't rat me out did you?

only normal oil drips now.... no hemorrhage

when i showed up with my trans for mike, there was still a reasonable amount of fluid in the case.... he was very happy mad.gif

happy11.gif
plas76targa
Nah, She wasn't ever that mad. I don't worry about her getting mad, it's the getting even part that is a concern.

And now I know why Mike asked several times whether we drained the tranny. Even then, the guts leaked alot while he was working on it. Sure hope that stops for him in his future career!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(scottb @ Jul 13 2006, 06:21 PM) *

DON"T DRAIN IT!!!

poke.gif

Scott, you PITA! Stop stirring the pot. Check out this new smilie --> fyou1.gif

punkass wink.gif
JPB
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 12 2006, 01:34 AM) *

Actually young Padawan, the tranny is finished here at the Evil layer. We would just be putting it in and maybe trying it out (other factors permitting). Your gonna have to come up here to the layer if you wanna see/do some work onthe inside goodies. I still have Brian's to do before then idea.gif

Hey DE, can you put some seals on mine if you get the bare bones delivered to the shindig? The side shafts are leakin like a KY Jellied moma. This partay sounds pretty cool.

beer.gif
Dr Evil
You going to the party? If you have the side seals and you DRAIN THE TRANNY (clean = easy) I can do it in about 20min. You sure it is leaking from the sides seals (only)?
scottb
QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 13 2006, 07:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 12 2006, 01:34 AM) *

Hey DE, can you put some seals on mine if you get the bare bones delivered to the shindig? The side shafts are leakin like a KY Jellied moma. This partay sounds pretty cool.

beer.gif

the good doctor just won't say that the internal oil also works to help release the bolts holding things together.... lube in... lube out... as long as there is lube....

just leave it full....

happy11.gif

( my trans is done!!! )

happy11.gif
type4org
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jul 10 2006, 07:32 PM) *
Sound off on this thread or PM me and I will PM the address to you.

I just bought a low-mileage '76 on July 11th and would love to stop by. Maybe we can do a caravan from Fredericksburg?
Babydoll
smiley_notworthy.gif Gee, if you can stand an on-looker who's all thumbs but a tolerable tool-wench, I'd love to come. Besides, it's about time I showed off Ken's "Ace Mechanic" skills by driving Babydoll up to Leesburg ... she's alive and well now, thanks to Ken and everyone who contributed know-how to the Saving Babydoll project. And, I have two spare tranny's in my garage... I need the education.

Kerry, since you're gonna' be heading up this way, wanna' pop over and check out the ECC location? And, is there a NOVA contingent who'd like to caravan to Leesburg?
Dr Evil
Sweet! Looking like a good turn out. If anyone needs/wants me to look inside their tranny just drain it and bring it along. I'll do as many as I can.

Its good to see Babydoll out and about smilie_pokal.gif WTG Ken!
ws91420
QUOTE(terrymason @ Jul 12 2006, 09:10 AM) *

I'm stoked for this. Still pretty new at the 914 thing myself. I've got a 71 that's now forsale, and will get my second - a 74 tonight. I've got a few things to do to the 74 before she's right. Anyone know why hot air would come out all the time, reguardless of the heater position ;-)

I'm pretty local - are there any tools that we need? I've got some air tools, jack stands, cheapo welder, breaker bars, etc.

I have air tools and a 6 jackstands so I'm set there. If anyone has a good tool for the CV bolts bring it please (I always have trouble finding one to fit just right).
type4org
To give me something interesting to do while I'm there, would anyone have a rear trunk pushbutton lock for sale, preferably with key(s)? I have one of those Porsche reflectors there which I want to get rid of. It has a solenoid release, and the solenoid works just once every blue moon. Which means, no "roof off" for me right now sad.gif

ws91420
I'm trying to figure out a solution too. I have a tempoary one which I still open the trunk manually that you can see while you are there.

OK definites are

DR EVIL
bob
Terrymason
type4org
zymurgist
crash914
root

maybes are
scott b
babydoll
grasshopper
kerry914
Vacca Rabite
If you need to be put on the list or moved from one to the other let me know the cooks would appreciate it.
jsharp.gif
grasshopper
yep, I'm still a maybe, My dad might be working...but if he is off then we will be there..
root
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jul 19 2006, 03:10 PM) *

I'm trying to figure out a solution too. I have a tempoary one which I still open the trunk manually that you can see while you are there.

OK definites are

DR EVIL
bob
Terrymason
Vacca Rabite
scott b
type4org

maybes are
babydoll
grasshopper
crash914
kerry914
zymurgist

If you need to be put on the list or moved from one to the other let me know the cooks would appreciate it.
jsharp.gif

I"ll be there unless some unforseen 914 surprize occurs. mueba.gif

I come bearing tranny gifts from Jim Kelly for the "Doctor".

Gift Listing:
1. some speedo drive bolts
2. box of syncros, teeth, sliders for Evil to Bless

Sorry no 'tranny odor left on these parts', 'cause they've been dunked in the ultrasonic cleaner. Prolly too clean for Evil! happy11.gif

type4org
Looks like a nice group.... hey, if anyone has a good-looking set of original speakers with covers, I am in the market for that as well wink.gif
zymurgist
type4org, you could always leave the roof at home. I've been doing that with the Corvette for years, and I did that with Babydoll when I first got her running. Think of it as a weight saving measure. biggrin.gif
type4org
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 19 2006, 10:03 PM) *

type4org, you could always leave the roof at home. I've been doing that with the Corvette for years, and I did that with Babydoll when I first got her running. Think of it as a weight saving measure. biggrin.gif

Until you hit the day with the sudden downpour wink.gif
zymurgist
Put me down as a definite. I gotta get out of the hosue, and if the weather cooperates (as in not so fricking hot and not raining), I may need a good Corvette cruise. If there's a chance of rain, I may roll up in something German.
zymurgist
QUOTE(type4org @ Jul 20 2006, 12:07 AM) *

Until you hit the day with the sudden downpour wink.gif

Been there, done that. Right after I installed a new carpet. Oh well. I have been known to take the roof panels with me if I'm more than 20 miles from home... usually... but mostly it's just fun to throw caution to the winds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.