Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marina a/x July 30th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3
DanT
I should be there. smile.gif
grantsfo
The blue machine is fixed and ready to go. Wont have sticky 710's but at least I'm running again after dropping too many quarts of gear oil!
nebreitling
great, grant! what was the problem?

n
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 27 2006, 09:30 PM) *

great, grant! what was the problem?

n

Breather on the tranny was plugged. When the tranny got hot it blew out the seals! New breather, new seals, clean gear oil.
DanT
So Trekkor,

Is this course designed to be 914 friendly?

Looks pretty promising for the HP deficient cars amongst us:D

I can use all the advantages I can get until I get that new bullit built. burnout.gif
Trekkor
This course has something for everyone...That drives a 914 laugh.gif

Not really. I think everyone should enjoy it.
We will likely get 12-14 shots at it!! Then the fun runs.

I wish I had some more tire. I'm fighting the urge to bring my good tires.
I will be driving on junk.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 28 2006, 10:31 PM) *

This course has something for everyone...That drives a 914 laugh.gif

Not really. I think everyone should enjoy it.
We will likely get 12-14 shots at it!! Then the fun runs.

I wish I had some more tire. I'm fighting the urge to bring my good tires.
I will be driving on junk.

KT

Good so will I. I'm on those slippery Victoracers. Nathan said you had more grip than me at Sears. I believe it. These things are worthless. I actually think the course will be beneficial to higher hp cars. Some of those corners will slow people down enough that power will be a factor.
DanT
My Victoracers are getting to the end of their heat cycles too. sad.gif

We will see...I have made some adjustments to my brake bias so we will see if I get a little less front lock at lower speeds... smile.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Borderline
I'll be there on a new set of Falken Azenis. I made the mistake of doing the BMW brake caliper "upgrade" and now can't stand it. The pedal feels like a sponge and the fronts lock up way too easily. The engine is a tired 1.8 with weber 40's. It's been about thirty years since I ax'd last. Should be good for some laughs. biggrin.gif
Trekkor
come one, come all! 914 invasion.

KT
Borderline
Trekkor: Is the course really on the GGR site? I can't find it if it is. Could you post a link? I need all the help I can get.

Thanks,
Bill
DanT
This is a LPR event not GGR. Try this
J P Stein
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 29 2006, 09:36 AM) *

Jeeze, that looks like an X-ray of my intestinal tract.
Does it come with a GPS unit? biggrin.gif
DanT
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 29 2006, 11:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 29 2006, 09:36 AM) *

Jeeze, that looks like an X-ray of my intestinal tract.
Does it come with a GPS unit? biggrin.gif

I think I will like it. Gives me some corners I can get into and out of quick with my suspension setup and some judicial application of trail braking to get the rear end to rotate.
We'll see biggrin.gif

Actually very similar to the tight, technicaal course I designed for the AX school last weekend. happy11.gif
Kept the newer cars at bay, due to the decreasing radius turns and such....lots of understeer in those new cars if you don't know how to use the brakes and throttle to unsettle/rotate the car at the right times. driving.gif
Borderline
Thanks Dan. Where did you get it? I thought Trekkor said it was imbedded with some other courses on the GGR site. I've been through both sites..I guess I didn't look in the right places..Thanks. Looks like fun. Is there a place where I can stop and ask for directions if I get lost? The way the course doubles back on itself, it looks like it will be dangerous to have multple cars on course at the same time. See you tomorrow,
Bill
Trekkor
The starter will not release any new cars until the first car reaches point #2. This WILL be made very clear at the driver's meeting.

The last course we ran with a loop was very well recieved and there were no wrong turns and very few DNF's ( did not finish's ) wink.gif

#'s 3 and 4 represent locations of car spacing during the runs.

The scale is 100' per square.
When the cars rejoin the main course it's full throttle for 800'.
3rd gear for everyone!!

The "x's" on the map are safe course worker positions.
Also in the driver's meeting people need to be ready with their red flags.
Better to be safe and get a re-run, then worry that people might think you were wrong to throw the flag.

KT
Trekkor
I believe most cars will not break a minute.

I hope I can... Say, :51.00 naughty.gif

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 29 2006, 01:02 PM) *

I believe most cars will not break a minute.

I hope I can... Say, :51.00 naughty.gif

KT

I was hoping to not get out of 2nd gear. ...My synchros in 2nd are going. sad.gif Its going to sound ugly as I come into that corner at the end of the straight shifting back to 2nd! It will be fun to see times between our cars. So which way are you chosing at the loop?
Trekkor
I'll prolly go right...

KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 29 2006, 09:47 PM) *

I'll prolly go right...

KT

smile.gif popcorn[1].gif
Trekkor
lol2.gif pizza.gif

grantsfo
Wonder if Logan will be there in the Miata? That course will be good for his car too.
Trekkor
Logan will be there. He lives in Marina. We talked about this course quite a bit. he was concerned about the loop.

He missed the last loop course, so I told him how much fun we all had and that nobody took any wrong turns.

He will be bidding for TTOD, certainly.
In his high revving 300HP supercharged Miata. ohmy.gif

KT

grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 29 2006, 10:29 PM) *

Logan will be there. He lives in Marina. We talked about this course quite a bit. he was concerned about the loop.

He missed the last loop course, so I told him how much fun we all had and that nobody took any wrong turns.

He will be bidding for TTOD, certainly.
In his high revving 300HP supercharged Miata. ohmy.gif

KT

KT

While I dont have tires I certainly have a car that might make him work hard for TTOD. Pulled another 25 lbs off the car today and I'll run without the top. Unfortunately I think I have raised the car just a little too high.

Picked up some long sexy aluminum ramps for free yesterday. No more driving truck on ramps to unload the car from the trailer!
scrz914
Trekkor, I was hoping to bring my 914 down but was not able to get it in good AX condition. I'll be there to check out the other 914's.
You should swing by Capitola on your way back.

Tony
Trekkor
Bring your...ahem...911. poke.gif

I'll swing by and see your car, yes.
I've got the trailer though.

KT
DanT
Tony,
I'll see you tomorrow as well....make sure you check out your old wheels on my whip.
We will see how it goes....HP or suspension/old age/treachery burnout.gif

Trekkor, what time you going to get there....I'll be there to help with setup... smile.gif
scrz914
I'll bring my 911 but it has an oil leak and I don't think drivers need anymore help sliding on the course. I thought about it tho'.
grantsfo
Dan, You should do just fine at Marina with LPR crowd. I was top 5 in my Mazda 6 Sedan last AX. You may even come away with TTOD. A couple of 2.0 drivers have done this in the past. These events arent as competitive as GGR events, but they are a heck of a lot more fun!
Trekkor
I'll be pulling into Marina area around 6:30. I'll stop for fuel, coffee and be at the gate around 6:45-ish.

Gates open at 7:00 yawn.gif
Thanks for the help. That'll be great.

KT
DanT
First report on the day at the beach biggrin.gif

So not a bad day for 914s.

Tom Provasi had out the Orange Crate and set a blistering 67+ (this was a very long course)

Grant was in the hunt with a 72+

Trekkor got down to a 73+ I believe

I got down to a 75.5

Albert was at 76

I know that Bill was at 77+ after the morning runs...but I did not see him run in the PM.

I don't know how Rob was doing.

Anything 76 or below was a very good time on this course....

Many newer cars were struggling to get below 80.

This course rewarded cars with horsepower and handling....I had one but not the other.

It will be interesting when the results are posted.....hopefully not another 3 weeks plus like last event.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 30 2006, 05:44 PM) *

Tom Provasi had out the Orange Crate and set a blistering 67+ (this was a very long course)

Humm.....he must gettin' loaded up for the Parade gunfight. Bad news for me & Brit.
Brad Roberts
I miss the Marina AutoX's sad.gif

I miss Kathy and the gang!

SD region doesnt know what a smooth technical course is..LOL

Good job on the course Trek. It looks good clap56.gif

Cant wait to see some pics.

B
DanT
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 30 2006, 07:10 PM) *

Humm.....he must gettin' loaded up for the Parade gunfight. Bad news for me & Brit.

Yep, and that was on 2 year old tires smile.gif

He is ready but says he is not very motivated this year....so there may be hope for you JP. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Wow! Great course Trek! We had 7 914's out today.

TTOD - No chance of catching Tom on this course!
grantsfo
914 ballet - Trekkor and Bill on course at the same time. Great to see you in your 914 Bill!
grantsfo
Dan moving quick through some tight corners.
grantsfo
The blue machine on wickedly slippery Victoracers. I couldnt get any heat into my tires regardless of how hard I tried. Rob took my tire temps and they were between 75 to 90 degrees. This course also played to my car's weakness due to no LSD. I was spinning the unloaded tire on the exit of a couple turns. Probably could have firmed up my front bar
Trekkor
I'm home yellowsleep[1].gif

We had a blast, once again.
10 timed runs each plus I ran 5-6 fun-runs in about 10 minutes.

Thanks for the help with course set-up/safety, Dan.

This may have been the very longest a/x course at Marina.
A lot of happy drivers told me how much fun they were having throughout the day.

Looking foward to the two day zone a/x next month back at Marina.

Trekkor
three 914's in "b" run group.

Albert, Rob and Grant.

KT
grantsfo
Bill in his 914! A rare sight!

grantsfo
action shot
Trekkor
Tony came out with his 911.

KT
ConeDodger
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 30 2006, 09:48 PM) *

The blue machine on wickedly slippery Victoracers. I couldnt get any heat into my tires regardless of how hard I tried. Rob took my tire temps and they were between 75 to 90 degrees. This course also played to my car's weakness due to no LSD. I was spinning the unloaded tire on the exit of a couple turns. Probably could have firmed up my front bar

I couldn't believe it. I saw Grant checking his pressures and I had just checked mine and my temps. A course that is between a minute fifteen and a minute thirty and my tires were only a little over and under 100 degrees.

Grant however had basically room temperature tires! I wish someone had been there with a camera!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 30 2006, 10:12 PM) *

three 914's in "b" run group.

Albert, Rob and Grant.

KT

Hmmmm look at that body lean... Torsion bars?
ConeDodger

Grant was in the hunt with a 72+

Trekkor got down to a 73+ I believe

I got down to a 75.5

Albert was at 76

I know that Bill was at 77+ after the morning runs...but I did not see him run in the PM.

I don't know how Rob was doing.

Anything 76 or below was a very good time on this course....

Many newer cars were struggling to get below 80.

This course rewarded cars with horsepower and handling....I had one but not the other.

It will be interesting when the results are posted.....hopefully not another 3 weeks plus like last event.

I had problems with my injector harness all day long. I have talked to Bowlsby about a new harness but I have not pulled the trigger on getting that done. This week I will. Paying too much attention to the six I suppose.
The injector plugs on two injectors kept pulling off or slipping out. The car was missing pretty badly.... I think I got one run in the late morning with only a little missing in the afternoon and I screwed that up by overcooking on a switchback in the "intestinal" portion of the course. 80.007 was the best I could do on 3 cylinders. I had fun though.
Borderline
What a great time! Great course Trekkor! Its been a long time since I've been on an AX course. I'd forgotten how fast things were happening out there. Nobody gave me any post-2-1117899824.gif for having such an ugly car. I found out what I wanted to know:
1) Car understeers like hell.
2) Gotta fix it.
3) gotta go faster
4) Had a great time mueba.gif
Trekkor
More pics:
HERE:

Ron Leppke clap56.gif

KT
scrz914
Trekkor, kudos for the course design. I enjoyed it. I don't think it would have mattered if I had went the other way on the turn around. I struggled to get to an 82. Those 911s are too cumbersome biggrin.gif Yeh right, it was all driver ineptitude...much to learn.
It'll be interesting to see how different my 914 is once I get it squared away.
Thanks for posting a pic of my 911.
Trekkor
Glad you had a good time, Tony.

I had a good time doing the fun-runs.
Those old Hoosiers I put on the rears were very hard and hideous.
I can't believe we were running 75's consistantly. confused24.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.