Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No reverse Please help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ddog87
I just bought a 1976 914 that had been hit it the right rear bad enough that it had a small buckle in the left side of the trunk floor and pulled the right rear trans mount out. The car has no reverse, when shifting into 1st it grinds a little unless I go slow with it, same with fifth (Only have driven the car around the block ) I have done all of the pulling of the rails a have everthing back in alignment and it still does the same thing. The shift rod appeared to be bent a little more than what looked to be normal. So I straightend it a little with still no luck, is there any adjustment I could try on this thing or any other suggestions?? Sorry for the long post, I'm just new to the porsche thing ( not new to air cooled though) Any pics of the shift rods to if this is still bent??? Any help would be appreciated. THANKS pray.gif
Marlow
Can you post any pics of the shift rod after you straightened it? It may be hard to tell without another shift rod to compare it too. Is there anyone local to you that might have a spare one?

I had a similar issue where my shift rod had been bent but looked fine. After comparing it to a straight one it was quite noticeable how bent it was. Doesn't take much to throw it off. Straightened it and finding gears became easy. I rarely miss a shift now smile.gif
Marlow
Doesn't take much to throw them out of whack. My shift rod was bent about 3 inches but looked fine until I compared it to a straight one. Often nicked reverse and was constantly going from 1st to 4th because I couldn't find 2nd.
McMark
agree.gif that it's probably still bent (rod or chassis) but there are also adjustments inside the cabin where the rod attaches to the shifter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.