Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Increasing front "track" via longer A-arms??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Due to my large offset wheels (40mm), the wheel/tire combo sits too far inboard.

I can run spacers, but they would have to be at least 1 inch which is acceptable, the GT look cars run this amount, the problem is that I have odd-ball size studs that I cannot not find longer studs than I already have
(12mm-1.5 X 50mm??) I refuse to run bolt on spacers, so the studs would have to be longer.

So it seems easier (hahahaha) to just widen a set of A-arms to accomplish this. I know it has been done in the past (Yellow 3.6 powered 914 GT in Excellence a few years back, East Coast I think)

The only issue I can think of right now that could cause problems is whether or not the turbo tie rods have enough adjustibility to safely widen the track since the struts would be moved outboard ~1" per side.
Brad Roberts
Widen the A arms so you can have a TON of negative camber. If you widen the bottom you have to move the top also.

Ebay the wheels and hubs.. put stock shit back on it and design some more parts for our cars.

Why didnt you measure this offset BEFORE you bought the Rice ??

B
TimT
If you run longer a-arms, you have to change the spindle angle, or move the upper mounting points out an equal amount.

Why is everyone down on bolt on spacers? arent the hubs magnesium? the hub will be the weak link, not the aluminum spacer (at least on the front?)
Mueller
I knew about the offset smile.gif

The problem is that I was focusing the offset issue for the rear of the car.......

It's no big deal, right now I can safely run .500" spacers on the front with these studs and have plenty of threads for the lug nuts. I have no fitment problems, it's more of an aestetics issue.

With the new hubs, I can always have a pair made that are 1" wider for my application.

Also, the new /4 5 lug hubs can be made 1" wider as well...just the way the factory made the 930 front hubs.
This way someone could do the GT flares, and fill up the wheel wells without running the "standard" 1" spacer.

don't worry, I had no real plans of mod'ing my A-arms, just thinking outloud smile.gif
SirAndy
run bolt on spacers ...
you keep the stock studs and they have their own studs pressed in ...
Andy
d914
I ran 32mm on the front for two years(on the track). no problem, plus then if you have gt flares you can use new off set wheels. Used to run 16 in cup wheels and 17in boxers.
redshift
Mueller,

You are a nut!

Regards,

M
Brett W
Mike if you do away with the stock cross member and come up witha billet peice you can lengthen the lower a-arms but you will have to get coilovers. This is not a solution to your problem though. You would also need to analyze the camber curves as you change the rate of camber gain or loss as well as a few other things.

AS far as the studs go, I am running a 14mm stud in the back I think it came from some CHevy truck. I am using Porsche Aluminum lug nuts on the back. YOu should be able to find on in the right length. Are you still trying to run the phone dials?
Aaron Cox
could you lengthen the a-arms, but keep the ball joint the same distance from the center, and modify strut (longer spindle w/ spacer)thus keeping same camber? prolly not, just thinking out loud idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.