Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery tray/support install - Screws, Rivets or Welding?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
So I was looking at this photo and thinking to myself...is it really dumb idea or is it the perfect solution, to install a battery support and tray with sheet metal screws or rivets? Stainless steel fasteners obviously.

I figure that not only does it save me the trouble of welding, it would be possible to prepaint the parts completely before install for better corrosion protection and they would be removable for future maintenance if necssary. I am certain that properly sized rivets or screws would be strong enough.

Anyone used screws or rivets on this before?
Brad Roberts
Weld. All the rest will come out with vibration.

Did you buy a badge?

B
Brad Roberts
The tray to the wall could be bolted, but the lower portion would have to go into the fram rail. This is were the real support begins. You would have to nutsert the frame rail in 6 spots.

Weld it. It lasted for at least 25+ years the first time?

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 13 2006, 12:39 PM) *

Weld

agree.gif

if you're concerned about the welds rusting, weld the bottom part first, then spray some metal ready + primer + real paint, then weld the top part. you can primer that beforehand as well.
even welded on, the top part has enough flex so that you can lift it up to paint the underside ...

i did mine 3 years ago, no rust on it at all, and the car is parked outside with no rain tray ...
smile.gif Andy
914werke
Tried the rivits .... bootyshake.gif Brads rights held doe a yr or two but eventually vibration took its toll.
MartyYeoman
My tray is screwed to an angle that is in turn screwed to the wall.
The tray has a support structure that rests on the crurved surface below.
The lower contact points are rubber snubbed. I've had this setup for about
five years now and never had any problems with unexpected detachments.
It's nice to have it removable and maintainable.
watsonrx13
Weld it.... If it was good enough for the factory, it's good enough for me.... rocking nana.gif

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
bernbomb914
Weld it mine was loose when I got home from portland and might be the reason it did not run good.

Bernie
GWN7
The only way I can think of mounting it to be removable is to weld studs in and then nut and lockwashers to hold it in place. Easier to do what everyone above has said wink.gif
McMark
agree.gif with Bruce. If you want to make it removable I would weld studs/nuts to the chassis so that it could be bolted into place with blue locktite.
reverie
Just make sure that it's welded at the right height. A local shop recently welded mine ~1" too high (which meant the engine lid couldn't be closed due to the rain tray), so the whole battery tray and support had to come out again and be re-welded.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(reverie @ Jul 13 2006, 05:15 PM) *

Just make sure that it's welded at the right height. A local shop recently welded mine ~1" too high (which meant the engine lid couldn't be closed due to the rain tray), so the whole battery tray and support had to come out again and be re-welded.

It's a bit difficult to understand how that could be done, what with the parts fitting right into place and all ................... The Cap'n
Brad Roberts
That is wierd. The wall has a HUMP in it just for the tray to weld too. I have NO idea how they could have messed that up?? WTF??

B
McMark
I know my new marketing push! biggrin.gif

Original Customs - Where we weld in your battery tray right.

lol2.gif

WildBill
Not really what you asked but I would move it to the front trunk. Helps with handling/rust and you could always weld the tray in and move it later to make it look "correct".
JeffBowlsby
Did you buy a badge?

Naw...I am waiting for the LE edition....

Welding it is, thanks for the insight. I hoped someone had tried to rivet/screw it before, glad I asked. Mark, you need to open a south bay shop so I can hire you to weld in my tray...

Hey thats it Mark...you doanneed no stinkin brickNmortar shop...do mobile 914 work...your shop truck could be a 914 modified for hauling parts/toolz...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.