Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dizzy Woes!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wertygrog
Hello, I've been trying to work the bugs out of my 2.0L w/ dual 40mm webers, and to start off I want to check/adjust dwell and timing. I just discovered today that my car has the junky 009 dizzy....I also have the bosch blue coil and new plugs/wires.

Do I go about timing this dizzy the same way as a stock dizzy (minus the vacuum lines of course) AKA 27 degrees @ 3500rpm, or is this not possible because I have a 009? Also, is 27 degrees BTDC preferred even with carbs, or should I go to 34 or something?

Next quesiton: I am sorely aware of the mediocrity of the 009, so what are my inexpensive options for a better centrifugal advance dizzy, and where can they be bought? smile.gif

thanks a bunch!
wertygrog
anyone? biggrin.gif
tdgray
Sorry don't know carbs but heres a icon_bump.gif
wertygrog
wow...I'm realllly surprised no one can answer my question about which centrifugal advance dizzy I should get? I was able to set the dwell and timing all right BTW, and I drove the car for the first time today, and yes, It's like an underpowered go-kart! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

cheers,
Brent
Aaron Cox
mallory unilite.

www.centuryperformance.com or raby at www.type4store.com
SGB
Absolutely go with the Mallory. It is expensive. Aircooled.net will sell it already set up with the proper advance springs and total advance setting so you just pop it right in. Jake prolly does too at type4store. It made a WORLD of difference in the way my car (2.0 dual 40 webers) ran. Idle is no longer ala VW. Torque is strong all the way. Runs cooler than ever. The only fear is over-revving. I should look into a rev limiting rotor...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SGB @ Jul 14 2006, 08:48 PM) *

Absolutely go with the Mallory. It is expensive. Aircooled.net will sell it already set up with the proper advance springs and total advance setting so you just pop it right in. Jake prolly does too at type4store. It made a WORLD of difference in the way my car (2.0 dual 40 webers) ran. Idle is no longer ala VW. Torque is strong all the way. Runs cooler than ever. The only fear is over-revving. I should look into a rev limiting rotor...

or get a CDI box with a rev limiter (you would be amazed at how a multi spark CDI system cleans up your low end) and a hot coil

i like the mallory hyfire 6al
Chogokin
go to aircooled.com and check out the dual advance svda, I have it on mine and love it, it was about $150 without compufire, $220 with. I have dual 40's also. Be advised there are about 1000 different things with that setup that can make your beast feel like it has a timing issue. The only difference I get by changing my timing is slight. Also go to webercarbs.com I think it is and check one of their tech notes labled "a short course on weber carbs" it is very VERY insightful.. let me know if that is the wrong site and I'll attach a link..
SLITS
Time it the same way you would a normal car. Due to the limited advance built into the 009, you will have a significant amount of static advance and may have starting issues along with a high idle (due to the greater static advance).

The 050 that everyone talks about has a more suitable advance rate and greater advance built into the mechanism to avid the high static setting.

I've been told that type 4s like 34 degrees total, but this departure will heat up your heads.

Now, you can use a stock 1.8 dizzy with better results from what I've heard. Even though it has a vaccum advance canister, you don't have to hook it up.

But then, you can blow the money for a Mallory and have "bling" which should be worth the extra $150 or so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.