Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello from yet another newbie to the site
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dads914
Let me start off by saying hello to you all!!! You guys are definitely a wealth of info for us laymen. pray.gif
This is my second post and I figure I should introduce myself. My name is Greg and I live in the San Fernando Valley here in CA. I own a 74 2.0 with only a few suspension mods and a completely stock motor. it was my dads car and he had it from the time it was just a baby. I also learned how to drive stick in this car driving.gif , so its been in the family for over 30 years. the car was his daily driver at times, as well as mine, now its my fun car.
I just got finished rebuilding the motor and moving the fuel pump to the front of the car. Recently it started having some surging of power around 3000 RPM's and last week i was stopped at a traffic light and it just died on me (very unusual for this car), felt like it ran out of gas, but I had a half a tank, when i tried to start it, it sounded like it was out of fuel, after cranking for about 30 seconds or so it started and was fine. I drove it for another week or so off and on. Then last night after doing a little spirited driving in the canyons, I was driving down the freeway cruising around the same 3000 RPM's and it felt like it was running out of gas again. I think my fuel pump is going bad (I believe its original and if not its over 20 years old with a lot of miles on it) My real question is: can I use a fuel pump out of a 75-76 914 after moving it up to the front of the car or do I need to use the 74 pump? headbang.gif
Sorry about the long story...Greg
TravisNeff
Great looking car and welcome.png
SLITS
welcome.png

Yes, you can use the later model. You just don't have a return tap on the pump.

You can use any pump that will maintain about 30 psi to the injectors.

Aaron Cox
hey there! we have socal gatherings all the time! where are you located?

fuel pump, you can use anything that puts out the right pressure, volume, and fits in the spot...

ideally use the porsche part.
Dads914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 14 2006, 01:33 PM) *

hey there! we have socal gatherings all the time! where are you located?

fuel pump, you can use anything that puts out the right pressure, volume, and fits in the spot...

ideally use the porsche part.

Hey Aaron,
Thank you for your help. I live in Studio City an I think I've seen a few of you guys here and there. Anyone hang out by the rock store on the weekends?
Aaron Cox
that is howard (cream or white car) and robert dekkers (orange flared beast)

they frequent mulholland
Allan
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 14 2006, 01:38 PM) *

that is howard (cream or white car)

Or a crappy blue ass dragger.

welcome.png
bob174
Tee in a fuel pressure gauge and check if the pump is maintaining fuel pressure. Don't know how power surges would be pump related unless pressure was dropping below 30 psi enough to lean the mixture and cause a power surge. Possible I guess...
Dads914
QUOTE(bob174 @ Jul 14 2006, 03:23 PM) *

Tee in a fuel pressure gauge and check if the pump is maintaining fuel pressure. Don't know how power surges would be pump related unless pressure was dropping below 30 psi enough to lean the mixture and cause a power surge. Possible I guess...

Thanks Bob,
I do have a fuel pressure gauge, but its mounted in the engine compartment so its hard to see when the surging occurs, because it only happens when im driving. Time to move the gauge I guess. Thank you, the more advice I get on this the better off I am. If anyone thinks it may be something else please let me know. chair.gif
Greg
Dads914
Hello again,
Well I changed the fuel pump and I am still having the same surging problem plus now it just started to have a hot start issue and still feels like its running out of gas at times and feels flat on power, but that problem is intermittent and usually happens when the car is hot. I'm changing my coil tonight I also bought a new head temp. sensor checked all the vaccume spots and my fuel pressure is spot on the timming is good and dwell is good also I have the protronic points and my trigger points are new as well as the cap and roter. Does anybody have any ideas what to look for next or had the same sort of problem. I did a search on "surging" and looked at all the posts and cant find a good answer...PLEASE HELP! Thanks Greg WTF.gif
Toast
welcome.png

Do you have points? Could your points be sticking?

Nice car. Kind of looks like mine! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Dads914
No more points and our cars almost are like twins.
Toast
Here is a better pic!

I had an issue with my Electronic Ignition failing itermittantly last year. Does your car kind of sputter and then shut off...like running out of gas. Then after sitting for a while it will start back up?

If you have and extra E I or some points that you can throw on, try that and see maybe if your E.I. is failing.
Howard
Hey Greg, welcome.png
Experiment. Run car for a bit, then open gas cap. Rush of air? I had that simple problem and it drove me nutz for a while. Vacuum would build up and overheat pump. Vent was clogged.

Yes, I'm pretty much a regular on Mulholland, but will be out of town for next two weekends. Check this Link.

Dads914
QUOTE(Toast @ Aug 8 2006, 12:50 PM) *

Here is a better pic!

I had an issue with my Electronic Ignition failing itermittantly last year. Does your car kind of sputter and then shut off...like running out of gas. Then after sitting for a while it will start back up?

If you have and extra E I or some points that you can throw on, try that and see maybe if your E.I. is failing.

Much better pic Toast.
Yes thats exactly what its doing and I was thinking about trying my old pionts, but my E points are new and didnt think they would be the problem, but I will give it a shot thanks for the info...did yours also feel flat on power and them would come back on to the power? Thanks, Greg
Dads914
QUOTE(Howard @ Aug 8 2006, 12:52 PM) *

Hey Greg, welcome.png
Experiment. Run car for a bit, then open gas cap. Rush of air? I had that simple problem and it drove me nutz for a while. Vacuum would build up and overheat pump. Vent was clogged.

Yes, I'm pretty much a regular on Mulholland, but will be out of town for next two weekends. Check this Link.

I will try this one also Howard, but it never gives me a rush of air when I open the tank.
What color 914 do you drive, maybe ive seen you.
Howard
<--- Pale Yellow biggrin.gif
Toast
QUOTE(Dads914 @ Aug 8 2006, 01:05 PM) *

...did yours also feel flat on power and them would come back on to the power? Thanks, Greg

Mine would basically shut off while driving! Then come back on a second or two later with a nice loud backfire! Later on it would sputter and then die while in motion. I would then have to let it sit for 10-30 minutes before it would fire again. Made the fuel pump and voltage regulator hot too. Yet I could leave it running for hours and it would idle fine. dry.gif

Just more weirds stuff to try and isolate the problem. But hopefully our experiences will help you narrow it down.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Did you know there is a night AX in Riverside this Saturday? Click Here for details.
Dads914

Mine would basically shut off while driving! Then come back on a second or two later with a nice loud backfire! Later on it would sputter and then die while in motion. I would then have to let it sit for 10-30 minutes before it would fire again. Made the fuel pump and voltage regulator hot too. Yet I could leave it running for hours and it would idle fine. dry.gif

Just more weirds stuff to try and isolate the problem. But hopefully our experiences will help you narrow it down.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Did you know there is a night AX in Riverside this Saturday? Click Here for details.
[/quote]
Mine never shuts off, but looses all power and them magically works again. I bought some regular points today and will try them tonight. i will keep you guys informed and thank you all for all your help.

If I get her running in time I will be at the AX this Saturday night and look forward to meeting all of you boldblue.gif Thanks again, Greg
Toast
Yea, mine did the same thing. If the points don't solve the problem after a couple of days, try running it again. When it happens again, immediatly wiggle the key in the ignition (up, down, sides) and see if it fires up doing that. May be ignition switch. But my problem was the same as yours, and final solution (after many parts replaced including the ignition) was the E. I.
Dads914
Thanks for all your input Toast. Hopefully I can figure it out by this weekend.
Toast
You're Welcome. So what was the verdict?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.