Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headlights up, not on, then not down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HeloMech
I've got to leave for army duty, but I'll post this and see what I get by the end of the day. biggrin.gif

Got the car yesterday. Headlights pop up when the switch is pulled. They don't come on and they don't go back down when the switch is pushed back in. There doesn't appear to be any dash lights. Running lights, turn signals, brake lights and fog lights all work. I've looked at the fuses.. not that I would assume all 4 headlight fuses would go out at once... but I looked anyway.

Where should I start with lights not on, and what makes them go back down?

Thanks obi wan... you're my only hope.
HeloMech
anyone? Bueller? icon_bump.gif
So.Cal.914
Key on or off?
HeloMech
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 16 2006, 11:19 AM) *

Key on or off?

Key on, car running, car not running. No matter what, no lights on and no motors pulling them back down. When I get home tonight, I'm going to turn everything back on and try the brights and see if that tells me anything else.
GWN7
Check your fuses...clean the contact points where the fuses attach to the panel. A fuse my look good but may be bad so swap them with ones that you know are ok.

Then unplug (one at a time so you don't get them mixed up) the 3 plug-ins for each headlight mtr and clean the conectors. A test light will tell you if your getting power to the mtrs.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 16 2006, 12:10 PM) *

Check your fuses...clean the contact points where the fuses attach to the panel. A fuse my look good but may be bad so swap them with ones that you know are ok.

Then unplug (one at a time so you don't get them mixed up) the 3 plug-ins for each headlight mtr and clean the conectors. A test light will tell you if your getting power to the mtrs.

Also check the relay on the motors...Watch your fingers!!!
Dr. Roger
ummmm, i think i had that same issue when i was screwing with power to my relays behind the fuse block and the ignition switch.

there's a main power AKA "big red" and big yellow wires when the car's running.
i think big red comes in and out of the ignition switch. make sure it's hot, and if one's not, it's your ign. switch.
it also goes through your headlight switch. that's the other place i'd look to check connections.

get one of those probe DC test lights, and when the car's running, start poking around those two wires and make sure their hot and attached to the appropriate relays and clean all the connectors that you come in contact.
ClayPerrine
This may help...

How Your Headlight Motors Work
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.