Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official JLO V8 Conversion Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
nine14cats
Here's an interesting shot of the radiator cowling on top of the radiator. It doesn't look like this is how it would fit on the radiator, but supposedly I shouldn't have to notch the cowling to fit over the fan brackets.

Anyone have an idea about this? I've got this on my list as well for my Renegade call.

Bill P.
Bruce Allert
Bill, I don't know anything about these V8 conv. radiators and just to show my ignorance...
Where is the fill cap? If it's on top like a regular radiator your cowl would cover it. It looks like the back face of the cowl should be bracing the front of the radiator or (another way of saying it) the radiator would butt up against the rear face of the cowl.

I dunno... confused24.gif just a thought.

I'll trade ya a mini horse for JLO when yer done drooley.gif

...b beer.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Aug 2 2006, 10:17 PM) *

Bill, I don't know anything about these V8 conv. radiators and just to show my ignorance...
Where is the fill cap? If it's on top like a regular radiator your cowl would cover it. It looks like the back face of the cowl should be bracing the front of the radiator or (another way of saying it) the radiator would butt up against the rear face of the cowl.

...b beer.gif

Hi Bruce,

Believe it or not, the radiator fill is at the highest point of the coolant system....in the engine bay! The way the cowling goes on the radiator and the instructions from Renegade say that the cowling goes over the top of the radiator.

It's interesting that Renegade makes a nice kit (most everything bolts right up) and gives customers like myself access to a internal web page that gives pictures and instructions for their kit assembly. But in reality, their instructions are very poor in my opinion. RH says a picture is worth a thousand words, but they only have a handful of pictures. If I were them, I'd take digital pics step by step of their assembly process and provide it.

Here's a pic of aircooledboy's RH ride. You can see the radiator fill stand and overflow bottle in the engine bay.

Thanks,

Bill P.
GS Guy
Bill,

Any chance the cowl piece is upside down? Looks like it should fit flush on top of the rad. maybe with the piece of angle connecting the flange (now sticking up) with the upper fan mounting bolts?

BTW, I've decided the JLO car is pretty much exactly how I want my next project to be - a GT flared car, properly reinforced, with V8 power. Got to get a few current projects out of the way first though - maybe in another year or so.....

Jeff
Bruce Allert
Bill, looking at the Renegade photo of their radiator assembly on their site, yours looks a wee bit different. idea.gif

Renegade Radiator

....b
dakotaewing
Bill -
Run this by the others here on this board, but I am pretty sure that you do not want ANY metal touching the radiator, but have all contact isolated by rubber...
If you have metal to metal contact, you will "ground the radiator" which will cause electrolisis (sp) which will destroy the radiator over a period of time - A good example is to look at any modern car, and you will find the the radiator rests on rubber and has rubber in the securing areas...

Thom
GTeener
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Aug 2 2006, 10:17 PM) *

...b beer.gif

hijacked.gif
Bruce,

You have a miniature horse? Do you breed them? How are they as pets?
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
GTeener
Bill,

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing the progress!
neo914-6
Bill,

I don't see that part on mine (circa 03) unless it's inside lower front of the radiator. You are missing notches. agree.gif on the lack of instructions...

Looking good! clap56.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 3 2006, 10:07 PM) *

Bill,

I don't see that part on mine (circa 03) unless it's inside lower front of the radiator. You are missing notches. agree.gif on the lack of instructions...

Looking good! clap56.gif

Hi Felix,

I talked with Scott at RH today. From your picture, I have the same radiator as you. As Bruce pointed out from RH's site, their current design is different. Their new radiator is slightly deeper and the sheetmetal layout is different.

Scott says to toss the "L" channel. As you suspected, it's there to keep the front of the radiator from moving. But he says the "C" channel does that. He said I would have to notch the cowling by hand as yours is.

I also asked Scott the question that Thom mentioned -- keeping the radiator from touching the sheet metal. Scott said that they use upholstery edging on the side "wings" that the front vertical part of the radiator touches and that RH uses single sided RV adhesive foam on the top and bottom of the radiator. They attach the adhesive side directly to the top and bottom of the radiator and then make a compression fit into the "C" channel at the bottom and use the top cowling with the lip to hold the radiator in place. No other anchoring is desired. RH wants the radiator to float in the assembly given the flex of the 914's front end sheetmetal.

How is your assembly clearanced? Does is have foam in between the bottom and top of the radiator?

And what is "RV adhesive foam"? and where do I find it? blink.gif

laugh.gif

Bill P.
neo914-6
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Aug 3 2006, 11:17 PM) *

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 3 2006, 10:07 PM) *

Bill,

Looking good! clap56.gif

Hi Felix,

I talked with Scott at RH today. From your picture, I have the same radiator as you. As Bruce pointed out from RH's site, their current design is different. Their new radiator is slightly deeper and the sheetmetal layout is different.

Scott says to toss the "L" channel. As you suspected, it's there to keep the front of the radiator from moving. But he says the "C" channel does that. He said I would have to notch the cowling by hand as yours is.

I also asked Scott the question that Thom mentioned -- keeping the radiator from touching the sheet metal. Scott said that they use upholstery edging on the side "wings" that the front vertical part of the radiator touches and that RH uses single sided RV adhesive foam on the top and bottom of the radiator. They attach the adhesive side directly to the top and bottom of the radiator and then make a compression fit into the "C" channel at the bottom and use the top cowling with the lip to hold the radiator in place. No other anchoring is desired. RH wants the radiator to float in the assembly given the flex of the 914's front end sheetmetal.

How is your assembly clearanced? Does is have foam in between the bottom and top of the radiator?

And what is "RV adhesive foam"? and where do I find it? blink.gif

laugh.gif

Bill P.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow at the gaps, but I do have the "RV" foam on the sides and bottom except on the top. I'm sure it's just thick foam you can get at OSH or Home Depot.

I'd drive it by but still need to get the shifter to clear the rad belt and adjusted. Can't get reverse right now... wacko.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.