Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: keeps dying on deceleration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

ok she runs pretty sooth now .. but I have some cocerns -- I think it runs a bit on the hot side ( see other post ) , it burns quite a bit of oil ... or might be pissing from a leak under load, after I cahnged the oil it was pretty much black after a coulpe of drives .... when I come to a stop suddenly it drops RPMs but then recovers .. as I drive it more and the car starts to get what I think maybe on the overly hot side it doesn't recover as easily and the rpm's drop , the oil light comes on and some times the car dies ... this usually occours when coming to a stop .. it drops a bit then as aI sit at the light it starts to die .. or sometimes I am fine the it just starts to drop RPMs and the oil light comes on and it starts to die out ...

I found a big vacum leak in the elbow that goes in just below the throttle body -- I couldn't find a replacement so as a temp fix -- 80 MPH duct tape ... I know a DAPO move but I needed to see if that corrected some of my issues -- It did correct alot of things .. but this issue remains

info on the car :

1973 2.0L stock FI
PO says the engine was rebuilt about 500 mile before I got it

confused24.gif
sk8kat1
icon_bump.gif
sk8kat1
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif

please .. any ideas ... decel valve ... manifold pressure sensor.... a vacum leak that is hiding...
Rand
I wouldn't think a vacuum leak because that typically causes fast idle with DJet.

Are you certain the timing is on?
sk8kat1
not for a fact .. but it only really happens as the the car is run for a while .. and get hot
r_towle
so, the motor was rebuilt 500 miles ago..
you need to look really close at the oil.
drain it into a clean pan..see if there is metal in there.
Find out what rebuilt means.
who did it,,,talk to the mechanic...etc...

As far as stalling when hot...check your timing..you could be to far advanced..but that will also make it har to start when hot..
check your fresh air flappers, and make sure they are hooked up correctly..
I would suggest that you look up Brad in Peoria, he has a 914 shop there.
Spend the time and money and have him give you a good once over on the car..you dont want to burn up the motor.

Rich
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ Jul 17 2006, 08:50 AM) *
...PO says the engine was rebuilt about 500 mile before I got it ...

How many times have we heard that before? dry.gif
rcrgrl
mine's doing the same thing - except it doesn't always respond to throttle to bring the rpm's back up. i;m gonna look at timing tonight, but if you come up with anything else, post it for us interested folks!
jimkelly
mine was acting weird after it got hot - after 15 minutes of driving - turned out to be a dying condensor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.