Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight pushrod snapped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
I had a first yesterday when the headlight pushrod (at least that's what I think it's called) snapped. Sylvie and I had just taken a nice ride out from Sebastopol to the ocean and I had been using the headlights. Stopped at my dad's place, hopped back into the car, hit the headlight switch and only the right-side light popped up. Doh!

I have a bracket I can pull of my other 914. Is this going to be a PIA to replace? Should I prepare to replace any other headlight assembly parts while I'm in there?

Here are the pics:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Thanks!
Crazyhippy
It's fairly easy to replace. Mine broke and FUBAR'd the paint wheen the light still went up.....

3 allen bolts from inside the front trunk and you're good to go.

BJH
Crazyhippy
oh yeah, check the other side too... they've been through the same amount of work cycles.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jul 17 2006, 12:09 PM) *

oh yeah, check the other side too... they've been through the same amount of work cycles.

Good idea!
racerx9146
Hey Randy

Long time no hear, John from Sacramento here, dont forget to lube and clean the pivot bushings, there is a reason the bracker broke smile.gif

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 17 2006, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jul 17 2006, 12:09 PM) *

Good idea!

RoadGlue
QUOTE(racerx9146 @ Jul 17 2006, 12:34 PM) *

Hey Randy

Long time no hear, John from Sacramento here, dont forget to lube and clean the pivot bushings, there is a reason the bracker broke smile.gif

Hi John!

Thanks for the tip.

Don't cook to death today, k? The morning news said that it's going to be around 107* today in Sac!
racerx9146
no kidding, its friggen hot here today! sometimes i wonder why i ever left the bay area... at least my daily driver (323 GTX) has a/c, sort of, you have to turn off the A/C if traffic slows down, cooling system can't keep up. Why can i just buy a normal car?
RoadGlue
QUOTE(racerx9146 @ Jul 17 2006, 12:43 PM) *

no kidding, its friggen hot here today! sometimes i wonder why i ever left the bay area... at least my daily driver (323 GTX) has a/c, sort of, you have to turn off the A/C if traffic slows down, cooling system can't keep up. Why can i just buy a normal car?

The 323 GTX is a very cool car! Talk about a sleeper too. Always wanted one to go through the SCCA Rally school with.
Dave_Darling
Don't forget--there are inboard and outboard pivots on each headlight. I think the outboard is held on by three Allen-head bolts, and the inboard by two. (Or I could have that swapped.) The outboard ones, since they are in the fender well, are a PITA to loosen. Clean the heck out of the area, and hose the bolts down with penetrating oil. (WD-40 is not a penetrating oil!)

--DD
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 17 2006, 02:26 PM) *

Don't forget--there are inboard and outboard pivots on each headlight. I think the outboard is held on by three Allen-head bolts, and the inboard by two. (Or I could have that swapped.) The outboard ones, since they are in the fender well, are a PITA to loosen. Clean the heck out of the area, and hose the bolts down with penetrating oil. (WD-40 is not a penetrating oil!)

--DD

The inboard bolts were't a problem on either of my 914s (parts car, driver) when I fixed this problem this morning. It's mostly fixed (see below), yay!

However, the headlight now sits about a 1/2 too low when turned off (much like the first photo in this thread). Perhaps I bent something, though I really dug around and couldn't see what might have bent. I wonder if perhaps the lever arm (next to the headlight relay) could have slipped where it attaches to the motor. There's a 10mm nut there, so perhaps I'll head out there now that it's cooling off and see if I can adjust that.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.