Full Version: Engine of the Bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
Looks like its ready to rock

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2437498155
Aaron Cox
140 hp? out of a 2.0? gots to be a 2270 right? wink.gif
mharrison
I'll be honest with you, I'd be a little leary of someone who claims to have a $6500 zero mile engine with rusty pulleys and dirty tin. Particularly if they are selling it for $3900. I wouldn't expect anybody who wouldn't pay attention to those details to build a quality engine. I could slap a couple of Webers on an old POS 1.8 that I've got and say the same thing. 140 is quite a claim for a 2.0. He didn't mention ANYTHING that had been done to it. He's got a feedback rating of 1. He sold something and got positive feedback a year ago. Thats not the kind of track record I'd be looking for if I was sending $3900 to somebody.

Just my 2 cents.

IPB Image
biosurfer1
says he'll take 3900 for it? uh, might want to let him know that he has it listed for 2500 with no reserve, so if someone bids 2500, it'll go for that.
mharrison
Hah, even though I'm an old hand at ebay (100+ transactions) I didn't catch that little nugget of stupidity.
peridotian
I have emailed him asking for details, who how and when. I am very much ready to upgrade my anemic 1.7.
redshift
On the topic of *clean* rebuilt engines, I have had some, but the tin was always dirty.

I pay for the guy to fix the motor up, not make it shiny...

That is Karl's job..

wink.gif

M
peridotian
Anyone know this guy?

"The gentleman that rebuilt it was Alan Bishop, a long-time member of
the PCA Northeast."

Thanks,
Patrick
ppickerell
Here is what the seller has written me about the motor:

"The gentleman that rebuilt it was Alan Bishop, a long-time member of
the PCA Northeast. He rebuilt it over the winter and spring of 2002. He
modified the long-block, new crankshaft, cam, did not overbore by the
typical amount, he told me that made the engines too fragile for racing.
Added dual Webber carbs, all new belts, filters, deep oil pan with new heavy
flow pump. These were the identical mods made by Porsche on some of the
racing 914s in the 70's. It puts out 140 hp without sacrificing gas mileage
or weakening the block. I can dig up Alan's number and/or get full specs to
you in the next day or two. I have his original invoice that I will try to
scan in and send to you as well."

So folks,
I want this motor if this is legit. What should I do next? Bid at opening price with one bidder, the same guy whos is bidding on the orange 914-6 (fareastimports I think). I believe that the motor was never in a car after rebuild.
redshift
You should ask about the factory 2.0/4 race program, I'd love to hear about it!

If that machine makes 140hp, you could make a million on it.

M
ppickerell
Does the fact that it has not been overbored make the 140 HP unlikely?
Does it sour the deal really just because the HP is over-reported? I know it certainly raises red flags! Raby 2270's dyno ay 140 HP. Would any one care to guess what it would dyno at based on the listed specs? Can anyone sell me a btter motor for $2500? Is there really a Santa Claus?
Patrick Pickerell
r_towle
Alan Bishop claims to have been doing this for many many years.
I dont know him, or his work.
I live about 20 minutes from the engine.
I would like to hear it run personally, and I could call Alan and get the details if you like.
Alan usually advertises in the panorama in the classified section.
As far as 140 horse from a 2.0 liter.... a stretch.
If it indeed has zero miles, Alan might be willing to warrantee it for the new owner.

Alan lives 30 minutes away...
I am here to help.
Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 16 2003, 07:52 PM)
As far as 140 horse from a 2.0 liter.... a stretch.

not really. it all depends on the components used.
and how long they're going to last.

Rich Bontempi gets 180HP out of his 1.8 (normally aspirated, no turbo or blower gadgets) ...

140HP out of a 2.0L? very much possible.
Andy
Bleyseng
Tops 120 hp if the heads have had lots of work, running higher compression, and a bigger cam. 140 using stock parts is a joke! Alan has been claiming this number for years but won't say what he does to get there or provide a dyno sheet.

Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 17 2003, 11:53 AM)
Tops 120 hp if the heads have had lots of work, running higher compression, and a bigger cam. 140 using stock parts is a joke!

where in the ad or email does it say he used stock parts in that engine?

sean's engine feels way more aggressive than a stock 2.0L, Brad guesstimated it at 110-115 hp ...

Andy
Bleyseng
Alan has been running ads for motors for years. He did post that he uses stock parts once and its his assembly techniques that produce all that hp. BS
I thought Sean's motor had a new non-stock cam as that will help alot.

Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 17 2003, 12:57 PM)
I thought Sean's motor had a new non-stock cam as that will help alot.

yes. it has.
and i never said anything about using stock parts.
all i said was that 140HP out of a 2.0L is not all that difficult ...

to quote myself:
"it all depends on the components used. and how long they're going to last."

Andy
Bleyseng
I know what you said and what Alan has been saying for years.......Show me is all I ask, on effin paper!
Do you want a Mittlemotor sticker too Andy?

Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 17 2003, 01:06 PM)
Do you want a Mittlemotor sticker too Andy?

nope, i'm not a sticker type of guy ...
Bleyseng
Well, I not paying for a effin tatoo.......but I will toast to you when I am drinking with Jeroen.

beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 17 2003, 02:35 PM)
Well, I not paying for a effin tatoo.......but I will toast to you when I am drinking with Jeroen.

tatoos are cheap in holland. and so is the beer beerchug.gif
and real "fritten mit mayo" chowtime.gif

Andy
tracks914
If he can get 140hp out of a 2.0 then I should be able to get 110hp out of a 1.7 and still be able to use the 2.0 FI.
Lets give it a try.
Anyone want to give me a parts list?
need4speed
I bought an engine off'n eBay once.

Once.

Never again.
Unless it's sold as a core (needs rebuild) and is priced appropriately.
Or Unless I can put my hands on it, and see/hear it run BEFORE closing the deal.
Bleyseng
Yeah, those damn French fries with Mayo is all Monique is talking about."First thing we are going to get some fries and a good beer".

Part list:
1.7 heads rebuilt with 42x36 valves race ported
90.5 domed pistons
balanced engine internals
9 to 1 compression ratio
Webcam 73
2.0l plenum, runners, injectors
037MPS to go with a 73 ECU
rebuilt dizzy
Header
r_towle
I will be getting the spec sheet this week, I will hook it up and start it this weekend.
I am planning on a floor start, with tranny and starter and need suggestions on a fuel pump.

I will take compression tests.

Rich
ppickerell
I was thinking about sniping it at the last minute as there is only bidder (overseasimports) and one day left. That bidder also was bidding on the orange 914-6. I got copies of the invoice from the seller and it looks legit. Unfortunately I have to fly to Seattle tomorrow on business note to self: bring water wings) so I think I have waited too long. Hope maybe overseas import defaults and we see a relist. If that is the case, I would pay for the floor start PPI!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.