Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: European Cell Phone Service
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer

I know this is off topic. But, I'm sure that this group has some knowledge & experience in this area, so I'm looking for some advice. I've googled this subject and I'm more confused than ever. So, I decided to ask the experts. smile.gif

I'm heading over to Europe in the fall and I'm going to need local cell phone coverage. This will only be for calls being received and placed to phones in the countries where I will be visiting. I will not need to receive or place calls to the U.S. from this phone.

I will be spending some time in London, Paris and Amsterdam (and surrounding areas) and would like to have coverage in all places using the same phone number. I'm thinking that it may be best to just purchase a SIM card that will provide me a number and roaming to all three countries. Which brings me to two questions.

First, I have a Nokia 6230 phone which is unlocked. This would allow me to put any SIM into the phone. The phone is GSM 850/1800/1900 MHz. Will this work? Or, do I have to go with a phone that operates at 900 MHz as well?

Second, who should I purchase a SIM and coverage from? There are so many places that come up when searching for coverage that it's making my head spin.

Thanks
Bleyseng
I have always used/bought a phone over there and bought calling cards for the minutes. Stupid USA phones don't work over there even ones I had that were "unlocked"
Same thing in South America except Trinidad.
crash914
From people that I work with, they get a phone in europe to use in europe. it is much cheaper. I think that vodaphone or virgin are two companies.

my nextel does work in those places. I had to get a sim authorized but it worked great.

in the past when I had verizon, i just called and asked for them to send me a europe phone, it was vodaphone and my number was transfered to it.

T-mobile in the us has phones that will work both places also.

the best way is just to get a cheap phone and prepaid plan. then you can toss the phone when you leave...
Part Pricer

Thanks guys. I took a look at both Virgin and Vodaphone and they both look much cheaper than what I thought I might do. Buy it, use it, toss it, is now the plan.
hcdmueller
I recomend Vodafone pay as you go. Cheap and you can get "Top Ups" pretty much anywhere in Europe. If you buy one in London it will cost more on the mainland and vise versa. You can get a cheap phone and sim card easily and it will work anywhere in Europe and a lot of other places.

Enjoy the trip and make sure to have some proper Heineken while you are in Amsterdam. beer3.gif
Midtowner
I happen to be cursed with the job of managing over 4,000 mobile users as part of my job. The recommendation to rent or use a European phone is the most cost-effective method. Vodafone is generally a good choice. Just expect that your mobile service will be about as reliable as your 914. biggrin.gif
Jacco
just a note from a dutchy,
In the netherlands the larger providers like vodafone, tmobile, kpn, orange all have pretty much 100% coverage throughout the country ( I admit it's not that big biggrin.gif )
Same goes for france and I suspect the UK.

Probably cheapest would be to buy a mobile with prepaid in every country you visit , because the operators are charging ridiculous amounts for calls to other countries. When I'm in france and phone home (to the netherlands) it's almost 10x as expensive as phoning when in holland.
Go for the well known names mentioned above and if you shop around you might even find free phones with prepaid schemes. ( I admit those free phones are not state of art but if tossing them is in its future you can have some fun with them)

Good luck overseas
Oh and for the Heineken, try it but we have way better Dutch beers than a plain Heiny. You should also try some nice belgian ones.

cheers
Jacco
Randal
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 19 2006, 07:11 AM) *

I have always used/bought a phone over there and bought calling cards for the minutes. Stupid USA phones don't work over there even ones I had that were "unlocked"
Same thing in South America except Trinidad.

9 courtries out of 10 (Europe, Asia, South America or whereever) it will always be cheaper to purchase a phone there when you arrive at the airport. Along with the phone you can purchase (authorize) X number of minutes.

When you run out you simply pay for another top up. Cellular shops everywhere seem to be able to do this.

Alternatively you can use a credit card to effect the purchase.

You want a phone local to the country as the rates for incountry use are always more cost effective.
Howard
We're going on a cruise ship with wifi. Internet phone? Has anyone tried this?
spare time toys
There is one of my inspectors who goes to Asia about twice a year. He went to Cingular and purchased a international sim car and has no trouble with his phone while over there. When he gets back he pops in his regular card and all is good.
fiid
I have cingular and a GSM phone - I generally just buy Pay-as-you-go SIM cards when I'm in a foreign country and slot them into my US phone (which is tri-band).

You can also use a US Cinglar SIM, but then you pay exorbitent fees (might be okay if it's for business) - and if anyone local wants to call you they have to call the US.

Another thing to go for is calling cards - you can but them in corner stores over there, just like here, and they get you some minutes to the US (or anywhere else) at generally pretty low rates.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.