Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official "The Beast(TM)" Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
nine14cats
"The Beast™" build is again on the front burner after several starts and stops over the last 2 years. I had finally pulled the plug on the project when Randal Barrick and I started co-driving a 911 at AX's and we formed our little race team: BPR (Barrick - Pickering Racing).

Now with the combined energy and resources (ok....it's really about money laugh.gif ) several projects are moving forward. Randal's build on the 1600lbs Raby monster continues. "The Beast™" has moved to the front burner as Scott Yeaman of Yeaman Auto Body has the chassis ready for powdercoat.

When a non-car person looks at the car, they see a cut up 914 tub with body kit. But when you look at the car closely, you can see the potential. This car has now surpassed the 400+ hours of work on it. This it just to prep it.

So next week the chassis goes to powder coat..... clap56.gif

Next up for Randal and I is to source a powerplant. We're 99% sure we will go with a 993 3.6 (ala Fritz - our 911). We already have a flipped R&P 915 box. This box will get the WEVO treatment. We already have 2 sets of wheels and slicks. Adjustable 27mm Smart Racing bar up front. Adjustable Weltmeister (yes...Weltmeister!) out back. 2 way adjustable Ground Control coil overs on all 4 corners. And of course, a Sheridan Body Kit.

Here are a few pics of the car ready for powdercoat. It's still going to be a while, but once painted, it will get exciting. And the plan is to have a 914Club weekend with Brad joining up here at Yeaman Auto Body to reassemble the car after all the bits are in front of us.

Bill P.
nine14cats
More detail
nine14cats
Randal peeking into the engine bay....
nine14cats
Rear end shot....
nine14cats
Tranny test fit.....
nine14cats
A 993 3.6 300HP motor looks like it belongs....

jonwatts
AWESOME Bill! Glad to see you pulling the trigger, uh, again wink.gif

I look forward to the day when I can start an official progress thread that won't stall after 2 weeks.

So, on powdercoating the chassis, will the powdercoat be stripped from places that you want painted like the A-pillars and the sail panels?

Keep us posted on the progress, don't make us hunt you down and nag you laugh.gif

seanery
Is this the car that was in Scott's home garage before he bought Brad's silver car? If so, it should be a fun ride when finished.
nine14cats
Don't worry Jon, you're going to be on the build team!..... happy11.gif

I asked Scott about it and the powdercoater will bead blast the tub. They mask off the areas that Yeaman Auto Body will be painting (exterior) and shoot the chassis and interior, including roll cage. We are going with one color throughout the car.

Bill P.
neo914-6
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jul 20 2006, 08:44 AM) *

I asked Scott about it and the powdercoater will bead blast the tub. They mask off the areas that Yeaman Auto Body will be painting (exterior) and shoot the chassis and interior, including roll cage. We are going with one color throughout the car.

Bill P.

Where are you having it powder coated, sounds like a great idea.
nine14cats
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 20 2006, 08:41 AM) *

Is this the car that was in Scott's home garage before he bought Brad's silver car? If so, it should be a fun ride when finished.

Hi Sean,

Yep...this is the one...this was also the last car on the same Celette bench that SirAndy's car was on. The suspension points were cut and raised 2 inches in the chassis.

Bill P.
Jeroen
Good to see you're back into it!
Should be one heck of a ride when finished
Looking forward to the progress
Trekkor
Alright!!

Will this one also be PRC-GTL race prep ready?

I like Beasts...unsure.gif

KT
nine14cats
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 20 2006, 09:11 AM) *

Alright!!

Will this one also be PRC-GTL race prep ready?

I like Beasts...unsure.gif

KT

Yes, this car "most likely" will fit into the PRC-GTL class. Everything about it qualifies, except the rear tires are 23.5x10.5x16 slicks versus the class mandate of 25x13x16 slicks. Technically, someone could protest the car for not having the required tire size, but since the tires are narrower, it's hard to see why someone would protest the car.........unless we beat them laugh.gif

Bill P.
GTeener
thumb3d.gif the progress is looking good.
fiid
Looks awesome! Keep up the good work! It already looks better than my car smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Oh.. the pics look good smile.gif

Lots of time in the tub making it right.

It will be a VERY fast car. I cannot wait to help sort it out.

Looks hot with the body work on it.

B
Brad Roberts
Bill,Randal

can you remind me to call Fordahl and ask him about the rear monoball screw in adapters for the rear shock towers? I need these for 2-3 cars and I want you to use them also.

I love those wheels... I love 914's..

B
turbo914v8
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 20 2006, 05:44 PM) *

Bill,Randal

can you remind me to call Fordahl and ask him about the rear monoball screw in adapters for the rear shock towers? I need these for 2-3 cars and I want you to use them also.

B

Hey, "rear monoball screw in adapters for the rear shock towers". This sounds interesting Brad! What's the scoop on this item? Can we get a set also. We = Me.
DanT
Bill,
Looks like the motor/tranny selection for the Beast has come full circle biggrin.gif

So now what you gonna do with that 2.7 and the 901?

burnout.gif
So.Cal.914
That is going to be scary fast, damn, I wet myself.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 20 2006, 07:25 PM) *

Bill,
Looks like the motor/tranny selection for the Beast has come full circle biggrin.gif

So now what you gonna do with that 2.7 and the 901?

burnout.gif

The 914 circle of life.... blink.gif

After running the 3.6, it's just hard to think of anything else. Torque everywhere, revs quick, no valve adjustments, can run pump gas....Just a wonderful motor if you are tracking a car.

I love the 2.7/2.8 motors. There is nothing that sounds or revs like them on earth. But you have to wind them kind of tight. The 3.6 motor you just point and shoot. Ultimate motor for the couch potato racer.

And we found 2 3.6's today to bid on....a 1995 993 pre varioram with 50K miles and a 1993 964 3.6 with 30K miles! And the prices are about 60% of having a hot rod 2.8 built by one of the pro shops. Of course we could probably get closer in price by building the motors ourselves, but you won't get a bulletproof 300HP motor that starts with a turn of the ignition key.

The 2.7 motor is up for sale. It is completely cleaned and disassembled. 1974 "7R" case. I'll be posting it in the classifieds in the next few days after I take some pictures.

Bill P.
McMark
You have the room for VariorRam if you wanted, but isn't there some issue with the brain being transplanted?

That's going to be a slick race car. I can't wait to inspect it in person.
nine14cats
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 20 2006, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jul 20 2006, 08:44 AM) *

Bill P.

Where are you having it powder coated, sounds like a great idea.

Hi Felix,

I'll ask Scott where the powdercoating is taking place. I don't recall off hand the name.

Thanks,

Bill P.
nine14cats
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 20 2006, 07:42 PM) *

You have the room for VariorRam if you wanted, but isn't there some issue with the brain being transplanted?

That's going to be a slick race car. I can't wait to inspect it in person.

laugh.gif

I have a feeling you'll be very personal with this car before it's through..... happy11.gif

Bill P.
McMark
Looking forward to it Bill. happy11.gif
BKLA
WTF.gif

Hey!!!!

What is the status on this build? Since you have been doing the boxster, did this one get sold or head to the back burner?

Jack stands?

Jus' curious.... huh.gif
Brad Roberts
The tub came out of powder coat several weeks back. I know the body shop is finalizing the body panels and fitment.

I found all my pics of the car's "life" as a racer. I'll post them to this thread when I get a chance.

Very soon we will be putting together a build team and getting the car back together for Bill.

B
nine14cats
The Beast™ build status as of November 28, 2006.....

The tub is powdercoated. The Sheridan kit is getting the final trim, fitment and prep before paint. We expect to paint it by the end of this month. The color will be a stately Porsche Grand Prix White. The tub has already been shot with this color.

Randal and I are searching for a motor. We are leaning towards a 993 3.6, but if a 3.0 based motor could be had for the right price, we could go that way. We have a 901 or a flipped 915 for the car with WEVO shifter ready for install. Sparco seats ready to go. 2 sets of 16x10 rims with 22x10x16 Hoosier Slicks on front and 23.5x11x16 Hoosier slicks on back.

The Ground Control 2 way adjustable coilovers for all 4 corners are at Ground Control right now getting rebuilt and re-charged with N2. Smart Racing 27mm front adjustable AR bar and rear adjustable Welt AR bar. We have a B&B racing mufflers for the car.

This thing is going to look tuff....If we stuff the 3.6 in there...we're going hillclimbing!!!!

Bill P.
turbo914v8
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Jul 20 2006, 06:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 20 2006, 05:44 PM) *

Bill,Randal

B

Hey, "rear monoball screw in adapters for the rear shock towers". This sounds interesting Brad! What's the scoop on this item? Can we get a set also. We = Me.

Hey never heard back on my enquiry regarding the rear monoball screw in adapters for the rear shock towers. Brad, anybody want to give contact information for these parts.
nocones
Bill,
I don't bring much more to the table than enthusiasm, some basic car smarts and the ability to spin a wrench. That being said, I'd love to help in any way I can building(re-building?) the beast. I figure that the more time I spend working on and around cars like this, the better off I am when I actually get to proceed with my own racecar projects. Please let me know if you can use me. smash.gif
Brad Roberts
I called the person who made them (upper mounts) he doesnt have anymore of them but he still has the drawings.

I'll go over them with an engineer tonight who can whip them out for us.

Bill know's who I called!!! clap56.gif

That actually capped a VERY good day for me. Made me smile!

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 28 2006, 05:04 PM) *

I called the person who made them (upper mounts) he doesnt have anymore of them but he still has the drawings.

B

B,

I just talked with GF. The deal is done. Pretty trippy...he is following the thread.

Nice guy.

Bill P.
Jeroen
please keep me posted on the rear monoball units!
grantsfo
So is this car going to be driven by anyone next year?
nine14cats
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 28 2006, 05:31 PM) *

So is this car going to be driven by anyone next year?

If timing works out, Randal and I plan on driving this car next year at a few events.

Bill P.
turbo914v8
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 28 2006, 06:04 PM) *

B

Hey all right some progress, please keep me informed as well. I am in for sure.
J P Stein
I gots a "build team" Me & Brit & sometimes Mike....cept Mike scattered the motor in his truck & Brit's house has a severe case of dry rot .......why do they call it dry rot? It's gotta get wet to rot confused24.gif

Anyhew, the team has shrunk for a couple weeks. My hands are hurtin' but I kin still get this stuff done before the spring.
nine14cats
The Beastâ„¢ build update: Jan 8, 2007.....

Ground Control called and told me they were shipping my rebuilt 2 way adjustable race struts/shocks back to me today. What started as a tune up turned into a full rebuild. All new internals as the bearings inside were shot. On race shocks....ground control is on serial number 9500. These shocks were number 243. Early parts, early design.

They now have the latest Ground Control technology inside. DWD at it's best...I'm sick....I keep spending money on this damn thing.... screwy.gif

I should have them by the end of the week. I had them powdercoated gray. I though it would make a nice contrast to the black suspension pieces and the Grand Prix White tub. I'll post pics when I get them.

Next up...2 new gears for the 915 to shorten up the ratios for the motor...

Bill P.
nine14cats
Update January 9, 2006.....

The Beast's shocks showed up tonight from Advanced Design by Ground Control...all done and ready for action! clap56.gif

Check it out!....

Bill P.

IPB Image
McMark
So awesome! drooley.gif

How's the paint?
nine14cats
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 9 2007, 11:48 PM) *

So awesome! drooley.gif

How's the paint?

Hi Mark,

The tub has been powdercoated but the body panels still need paint. We're collecting a few more bits, but it appears we will try for an assembly party sometime in February or early March. Since there isn't much in the way of systems in the car, it should go together relatively quickly. At least it will be rolling!..... laugh.gif

Bill P.
brant
Bill,

keep us updated
good work sir!
can't wait for more pictures

brant
nine14cats
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 10 2007, 08:23 AM) *

Bill,

keep us updated
good work sir!
can't wait for more pictures

brant

it's "inchworm" progress.... laugh.gif

Bill P.
drew365
Have you gotten an engine or made a decision on what you'll be running?
nine14cats
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jan 10 2007, 07:20 PM) *

Have you gotten an engine or made a decision on what you'll be running?

Hi Andy,

On the motor we have narrowed the selection down to either a 993 pre-varioram 3.6 or to a varioram 3.6. We know that the pre-vario version fits (we already had it fitted before it went into my 911!)...but now we are interested in the varioram for a variety of reasons.

Since it's only money....we can have a new engine lid fabricated if the motor sits a tad high. And we have an extra inch to play with as the AJ firewall mount was welded in 1 inch lower than normal to reduce the CG.

Bill P.
LarryR
Sweet. I like how you did the back end. I am getting ready to do something similar with the back half of mine. It is over at TC Design in Milpitas right now.

Any new updates on your car?
nine14cats
QUOTE(LarryR @ Mar 18 2007, 12:49 PM) *

Sweet. I like how you did the back end. I am getting ready to do something similar with the back half of mine. It is over at TC Design in Milpitas right now.

Any new updates on your car?

We have purchased an engine for The Beast™. It's a 2.7 liter motor with Haltech engine management on it and built by Matt Lowrance. Currently a 901 MSX box is being freshened with a Guard LSD to be installed.

The rebuilt Ground Control coil overs have been hung on the car. We need to figure out the wiring and put the brake lines back in as the next step.

Inching forward....

Bill P.
nine14cats
Some pics of the motor....2.7RS "plus".... Haltech....250HP+....

nine14cats
Tub pics...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.