Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: recommendation on replacing 30yr old fuel lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arc914
Hey guru's
I want to replace my fuel lines. What have you guys done in the past? Should go with the same but new hose or is there a better replacement suggestion.
how had and time consumming so when i go over it i know when i screwed up .Ha
andrew in the Soo.
914werke
Leave the hard lines, replace all the soft! headbang.gif
SirAndy
i just replaced the center tunnel lines with stainless steel ones from Racer Chris and also replaced all the rubber lines with brand new ones ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

Stainless Fuel Lines for Tunnel:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=48548

Cap'n Krusty
BE SURE to use ONLY genuine German FI fuel line. Use the appropriate clamps, as well. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 20 2006, 02:15 PM) *

BE SURE to use ONLY genuine German FI fuel line. Use the appropriate clamps, as well. The Cap'n

all the clamps you see in my pic are stainless FI hoseclamps. replaced *all* the clamps on the tank, lines, pump, filter and engine ...

as for the FI fuel line, i doubt mine came all the way from germany ...
smile.gif Andy
Trekkor
I am using braided SS -6 line. Total overkill and real expensive.

Easy install and will last a very long time.
Goofy hose clamps can't hurt it either...wink.gif

KT
TonyAKAVW
I purchased a set of stainless steel lines from McMaster Carr, bent them to fit using a cheap tubing bender (which ended up bending itself) and beaded the ends with a highly modified pair of vicegrips. All told, it took me probably around 6 hours. I also replaced the rubber grommets at the firewall with new ones.

Steel tubing was $20 for the two pieces, tools were already owned, and grommets are cheap.

-Tony
Hammy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 20 2006, 01:53 PM) *

i just replaced the center tunnel lines with stainless steel ones from Racer Chris and also replaced all the rubber lines with brand new ones ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

I did exactly what Andy did here. Got the SS lines from Chris and new hoses and filter. It was relatively painless for me too (engine out though).
brer
i"m going to order a set if anyone in So Cal wants to jump in.
anthony
My recommendation is to not replace the center tunnel lines unless they are bad. Replace all the soft lines.
brer
mine had rotted at the point where they pass through the engine shelf, makes me wonder about the rest of the line.
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 20 2006, 04:31 PM) *

My recommendation is to not replace the center tunnel lines unless they are bad.

the part that is exposed in the engine bay had become hard and brittle. the rest was still in good working order ...

for me, it was time to upgrade. the SS lines were pre-bend and fit perfectly ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(brer @ Jul 20 2006, 07:47 PM) *

mine had rotted at the point where they pass through the engine shelf, makes me wonder about the rest of the line.

I also now offer the two pieces that go through the engine shelf for $30. The shape is very close to the original plastic lines and is exellent for people with original fuel injection.
JohnM
I am in for a Socal buy. John
brer
QUOTE(JohnnyX @ Jul 20 2006, 07:49 PM) *

I am in for a Socal buy. John

Nice.

Hi john.
Duffster
I'm in. PM me when ready...THX
zymurgist
I used 5/16" mild steel brake line from NAPA for both the supply and return lines... bent them using a Harbor Freight tubing bender... used brass fittings to make that sharp turn where they entered the engine compartment. This is for a '74 2.0.

However, I did all this before Racer Chris's pre-bent stainless lines were available. If I had to do it over again, I would most definitely use those!
draperjojo
My set of lines from RacerChris showed up in yesterdays shipping........now to get them installed.
tat2dphreak
I used aluminim lines from Summit... cheap, easy install...
arc914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 20 2006, 10:22 PM) *

QUOTE(brer @ Jul 20 2006, 07:47 PM) *

I also now offer the two pieces that go through the engine shelf for $30. The shape is very close to the original plastic lines and is exellent for people with original fuel injection.

Hello racer
Andrew here. You seem to be the guy to buy these from. I would like to replace the entire lines. I have done a complete over haul on the old girl.
i was in the centre tunnel and the line look ok but still leary. What is my cost?
Can you ship to
605 ridge st
Sault Ste Marie,Mi
I am across the border in canada but i hop the border to pick up parts.
thanks andrew
arc914
Thanks gurus for your time with this.my Fi is stock on a 74 2.0L
cheers
jk76.914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 20 2006, 12:53 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

Hi Andy,

I like your installation- shows real craftsmanship. I had to ask about the fuel filter, though. It looks like the same type that is upstream from the pump, not the type that can handle the pressure downstream. Is it some special type, or is your pump in the back?

thanks,
Jim
Demick
Jim.

You must own a '75 or '76 car.

Pre '75 cars had the fuel pump in the right rear suspension area, so the pump would be after the filter in Andy's picture.

'75 and '76 cars had their pumps moved to the front of the car (as well as the filters of course).

If you have a pre '75 car with the pump in the front, then somebody moved it there (common thing to do).

Demick
pete-stevers
i used a brake line for the tunnel and high pressure fuel lines for the soft lines, plus high pressure clamps...cheep and easy.....
arc914
QUOTE(Demick @ Jul 21 2006, 10:53 AM) *

Jim.

Pre '75 cars had the fuel pump in the right rear suspension area, so the pump would be after the filter in Andy's picture.

'75 and '76 cars had their pumps moved to the front of the car (as well as the filters of course).

If you have a pre '75 car with the pump in the front, then somebody moved it there (common thing to do).

Demick

Hey demick
I have a 73.the pump as you said and so far no issues with it ther but have thought about moving it just not now.andys pic is correct.
cheers
A
jk76.914
QUOTE(Demick @ Jul 21 2006, 06:53 AM) *

Jim.

Demick

Oh that's right. I knew about the pump, but I never thought about the filter. Makes sense. Thanks!

You're right. Mine is a '76.

Jim
arc914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 21 2006, 10:29 AM) *

I used aluminim lines from Summit... cheap, easy install...

Hey tat
thanks for the reply.did you run new lines trough the tunnel?and are they plastic or steel/alum?
Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jul 21 2006, 07:36 AM) *

or is your pump in the back?

it sure is ... stock location for any early car ...

jk76.914
nice pics. I see the "big wrench" and the "little wrench" there on the floor....
fiid
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 20 2006, 04:11 PM) *

I am using braided SS -6 line. Total overkill and real expensive.

Easy install and will last a very long time.
Goofy hose clamps can't hurt it either...wink.gif
chairfall.gif
KT

Wow. I didn't know you could get braided SS fuel lines from home depot....
poke.gif

biggrin.gif

Just kiddin'

chairfall.gif chairfall.gif
fiid
I kept the original plastic lines since they seem to be in good condition.

I do, however have crappy clamps. Anyone have a good source for replacement fuel line clamps??

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.