Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front hood seal- somethings wrong
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arc914
Ok guru's
Who has bought the aftermarket front hood seal? this question is for you.
I did my instal on wed and now my hood barely is able to close. Should i just give it time under pressure to settle or did i make a huge problem with the aftermarket one?
andrew in the Soo
John
Did you glue the seal in?

I don't glue the seals in anymore as I believe that the glue can help to promote rot, and I can pull my seal out and clean the dirt out of the channel when I want to.

All the front hood seals that I have used made it hard to close the hood for a some time until the seal "relaxed" enough.

Stick with it.
bd1308
I have the aftermarket seal. Xmas gift some years back.

It works okay, I did notice some resistance to closing when it was first installed, but it settled down.

b
Dr Evil
I have a new aftermarket one and it resists closing. Also, it would not stay in place with out some adhesive.
arc914
I glued it down solid all around and i had to stretch it to reach the corners then clamped it till the adhesive dried.
thought this fix would be a no brainer (teener strikes again)
cheers
Chris Pincetich
I think we are all in the same boat on this one drunk.gif
That aftermarket seal doesn't fit so well, needs glue to stay in place, and makes the trunk hard to close at first...can't say I got much water in the front trunk for the 6 months I've gone without it, but better safe than sorry so I have a seal now beerchug.gif
markb
I glued the corners on mine when I put it in. I think it's normal for a little resistance when new. The rear trunk one is really resistant.
arc914
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jul 20 2006, 02:47 PM) *

I think we are all in the same boat on this one drunk.gif
That aftermarket seal doesn't fit so well, needs glue to stay in place, and makes the trunk hard to close at first...can't say I got much water in the front trunk for the 6 months I've gone without it, but better safe than sorry so I have a seal now beerchug.gif

Hi Chris
arent you in Cally?
it doesn't rain there ha.
I am at the heart of the great lakes in Sault Ste Marie,ontario,canada lots o wet stuff.
I did a re-glue last night and still have the hood trying to bulge up from hinges to hood latch. i will give it some time with the hood closed to see if it settles.
how long should i wait till i try another approach?any suggestions?
Cheers
andrew
SLITS
After seeing the install of the "aftermarket" seal and what it does to the fit of the hood, I think the better option would be to obtain good used OE pieces and glue them together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.