Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: head question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rcrgrl
so, finally going to do something with my 2.0 heads. getting new valve seats, probably new valves, and welding those wonderful cracks at each spark plug hole.
but now am having second thoughts, perhaps i should have just gotten new aftermarket ones - they were from brazil or some place?

what'd you guys think - did i do the right thing keeping the original ones?
JoeSharp
Race: From what I've read you have to replace the seats in those also. The German heads have the best castings.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
anthony
As long as you are having the spark plug holes welded, I would have them welded for the smaller diameter plugs like Raby does to prevent them from cracking again.
Dave_Darling
The aftermarket heads that are currently available are not 2.0 914 heads. They do not have the right spark plug angle, they do not have the right number of intake studs, the chamber shape is different, as are the ports.

The Raby heads (which I don't think are availble separately yet?) may be better in many ways. But they still aren't 2.0 heads.

Unless you're lucky enough to find an NOS set sitting on a shelf somewhere, you won't find new 2.0 heads anywhere.

--DD
Jake Raby
I'll pop in for a minute here as there is some misinformation that needs to be cleared up- then it's time to go back behind the curtain..

They do not have the right spark plug angle, they do not have the right number of intake studs, the chamber shape is different, as are the ports.

Really?? These pics and plots say everything.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Raby heads (which I don't think are availble separately yet?) may be better in many ways.

Better in every way, rebuilding a 30+ year old head will never give the results we see with these new castings with their CNC ports and chambers that were digitized from authentic 2.0 Porsche heads.

They have been available since May and many sets have been delivered, Rhodyguy has a set. We try to keep them on the shelf, but it's very hard..

The chambers are much stronger than a stock 2.0 as they feature standard 12mm plugs with copper clad steel inserts. plug location is exacting that of a 2.0 and a 3 stud intake is nothing but an option.

But they still aren't 2.0 heads.

Unless a part number in the valve cover area means anything to you the differences would never be known from a 100% authentic head... we worked very hard to replicate the stock head right down to the port flow and chamber volume..

Dave needs to do his required reading a little more often as he is behind times!!! LOL

Read more about them here
LE 180 head information and prices

The Web 73 won't provide power over 4K RPM, even with 12:1 and the most optimum combo on the planet to compliment it! It's designed as a VW BUS cam that just happens to work wel with stock EFI..

The huge 48mm valve just ups the flow below .150 lift and is virtually worthless after that as it actually impeded the flow around it's cone! We finally were able to create a port that would sustain the flow of a 48mm valve efficently, and this is it
IPB Image

The stock, unwelded port is maxxed out at 44mm intakes. The shape of the port and it's wall modification at certain portions of the port are the key, not the size.... Until the head is welded these portions of the port cannot be modified due to wall thickness. You can't tell it by looking, but the stock 2.0 port has two different twists that are very clearly noted when a silicone pour of the port is made. Until this twist is removed turbulance that heavily effects the mixture motion and flow of the charge is present and can't be improved upon...

We now make 185HP and 187 lb/ft of torque from a 2270 with a 44mm intake and off the shelf LE 200 heads with no trick parts at all...

This is a touchy subject and it was filled with "Bigger is better" thoughts, so it demanded some intervention from me. I am not back and will hardly ever make a post until something this critical pops up, so don't get your hopes up!
So.Cal.914
Hi Jake, how's married life? (I know, but thought I'd ask anyway)
Jake Raby
Actually it's no different than it was before.... :-) None of the downhill plunges that everyone complains about, at least not yet..

She's better than ever and doesn't want me to sell my 550 Spyder!

BTW- It's all in the combo! LOL
Jake Raby
Damn, I just realized that I had two posts confused in my head! part of this post belongs in this thread and the other part in lmmchesney's thread here

Other post

It's been so long since I posted here I don't even know how to any more!
davep
We really appreciate your contributions. Please be sure to keep an eye on us.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 21 2006, 10:09 AM) *

They do not have the right spark plug angle, they do not have the right number of intake studs, the chamber shape is different, as are the ports.

Really?? These pics and plots say everything.

And those are unmodified AMC heads? AMCs were the ones I was referring to.

But they still aren't 2.0 heads.

Unless a part number in the valve cover area means anything to you the differences would never be known from a 100% authentic head... we worked very hard to replicate the stock head right down to the port flow and chamber volume..

Interesting--I thought that your new heads were a different design, not simply a replication (with improvements) of the 914 2.0 head! And I didn't realize they were avilable separately from a full engine at this point. Thanks for clearing that up!

--DD
lmcchesney
It's OK Jake. I read this thread as well. I really do appreciate your input.
Larry
Jake Raby
Dave, those are AMC castings with our exclusive CNC work to relocate the plugs, modify the chambers and ports to replicate that of the 2.0 914 head.

I have two different heads that we have been working on, my MassIVe heads are billet, bad ass animals that won't go on any engine smaller than a 2.5L as they are huge and offer the smallest valve size at 50X40 and up to 55X45.. These are only available oncomplete engines and even then only on a case by case basis.

The other heads are these "LE" heads based on the new castings and CNC work... These are now in ALL our engine kits, and available off the shelf as well in my store..
pete-stevers
good to see you jake!!
we have you hooked don't we.....
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 21 2006, 11:41 AM) *

I have two different heads that we have been working on...

Ah, now I get it! I was getting the two different types of heads confused!

Nice to know there is something available for people who need new (and not rebuilt a million times) 2.0 heads, now.

--DD
Jake Raby
Yep....
BTW- do all female Smurfs leave you with a blue tongue???

LOL
Joe Ricard
Confused on your site Jake. When I search thru your heads for sale I find the LE head and the price. cool. with comment only sold in pairs makes sense to me. then you select quantity is it 1 or 2 to get a pair?
I know I should have called but othes will be window shopping also.
Jake Raby
All heads are sold in units of two... Ant price you see is for a pair,
Joe Ricard
Cool. Thanks Jake.
here's bump......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.