Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Overhaulin..5 months later
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
70Sixter
We saw it last nite. It was a really great episode! thumb3d.gif
73Phoenix20
Even got the wife to watch it! The Caddy's trunk reminded me of the wife's closet(s)!!! Super cool color on the old barge...really made it stylin' for a '56!

And the motor did sound better after they buttoned it up with an exhaust system. Forgot how cool the original air cleaner looked on those cars! Like twin jet intakes...of course, it didn't hurt to paint it up and put "Foose" on it!

Great job to Dad!!! Told the wife in ten more years she can have her Lincoln Town Car overhauled! Don't think she saw the humor in that!

thumb3d.gif
nomore9one4
Brad, Was the black 911 in the parking lot at the very beginning of the show your dads? driving.gif drooley.gif
Dad Roberts
QUOTE(boboli914@att.net @ Jul 26 2006, 09:56 AM) *

Brad, Was the black 911 in the parking lot at the very beginning of the show your dads? driving.gif drooley.gif

biggrin.gif no.....but Dad wishes biggrin.gif . It was one of the producers' cars. I read recently they built him a hot, black fastback Mustang.Thanks for the kind words gang. The shirt or hat idea woulda been great cept they supply ALL our shirts for the time on camera and even give us a list for which day to wear them sad.gif . About AJ....she definately doesn't have what Courtney did...in any aspect. Her previous gig was the Fanta commercial..."Do ya wanna Fanta...Do ya wanna Fanta". She was in the long blonde wig. They filmed it in Bolivia and then she had to tour the US promoting it.The guys asked if she still had the wig......no, tossed it, she hated it.
The main reason I did this build was to hopefully get to work by Chip. I had met him before, but only briefly. I wanted to know if the man on TV was the same in real life? In my honest opinion, I haven't met anyone nicer. He spreads himself very thin. His shop was close by and he was constantly back and forth. And no, I didn't get over there(yet biggrin.gif ). I got to work beside him on the morning of the reveal. A few of us had spent the night there finishing up details and he was there working on a drawing. About 6 am we were getting ready to leave and he came over to the Caddy and climbed in the trunk. I had been working on the automatic pulldown for the trunk and had it working perfectly biggrin.gif , and after he got in he pulled it down. We all laughed and mentioned to him how brave he was. We opened it.....and he closed it again. Everybody just sorta shrugged and said...Oh well....guess he wants to sleep. We left him in the trunk and .....left biggrin.gif . There was one guy whose job it was to keep an eye on things and everyone else split. I came back about 9 am and ran into Chip and asked when he got out? He said about 8 he woke up and banged a little til he let him out. 2 hours in the trunk....and back at it again.
He is a true talent that I am honored to say.....is a new friend of mine........Dad driving.gif

nomore9one4
Nice story! Sounds like the chance of a lifetime smile.gif
KELTY360
What a great opportunity! Good job. That caddy came out very graceful looking. It needs a teener in the trunk....for a lifeboat. biggrin.gif
swood
So Dad, is it really and truly all done in one week?? I've always been skeptical about that, though optimistic.

smile.gif
Dad Roberts
QUOTE(swood @ Jul 26 2006, 03:17 PM) *

So Dad, is it really and truly all done in one week?? I've always been skeptical about that, though optimistic.

smile.gif

Well......you saw what you saw, and heard what you heard biggrin.gif . Actually, it did need some fine tuning. The guy that worked with me on the engine R&R decided, after completely warming up the engine, that he would back off the choke adjustment (none). Now this was back in Feb. Even in Socal it gets a bit nipply in the evenings. When they started the car it needed that choke, it wouldn't idle. There were other things such as the people who did the top didn't quite have their act together either. The car DID come out great, it just needed a bit more TLC biggrin.gif , no pun intended.......Dad driving.gif
Brad Roberts
I have been telling my buddy's today at work that "my dad" was on "OverHaulin" last night.. they are all pissed that I didnt tell them!! ..LOL

Pretty damn cool.

Amazing how far Craig has come along.

When I met him he was still working for Sir Michaels! I think I was in my early 20's.

One of my friends from Texas is a frequent visitor to the show also: Ryan from "Vintage Air". He will be a success story in a few more years. Lots of talent in both Craig and Ryan. Ryan moved to San Antonio because of a GIRL and landed a job back in 1996-97 with Jack Chisenall (owner of Vintage Air) when they where building Jacks 200mph Studebaker (with the air on!)

I'm surprised I havent seen my friend Scott Wolter on the show. He was the lead tech for Tony Christians 57 Chevy "Fastest Street Car" in the NMCA back in the day. Scott now has a shop right at the 1/8th mile "lights" on the property of "Texas Raceway" In Kennedale.

I miss the Hot Rod scene.

B
Gint
We just watched it. You looked great Norm! Just like a pro. One would think you're on tv all the time.
jonwatts
I have it recorded but haven't watched it yet. What a great thing to be recognized as a craftsman and to work alongside your peers and people you respect.

Congratulations Dad! burnout.gif
Dad Roberts
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 26 2006, 08:13 PM) *

We just watched it. You looked great Norm! Just like a pro. One would think you're on tv all the time.

You're all too kind. We won't discuss how many takes it took biggrin.gif , or how bad I was shaking...........Dad driving.gif

jonwatts
icon_bump.gif

On again in a few hours iffin' anybody hasn't seen it yet. My guide says 2AM PST but check your local listings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.