Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun with CIS #?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
So, I finally have time to work on my car (customer and school stuff all done now) so I decided to take another shot at my fuel problems. I ordered a long 3mm allen wrench to adjust the mixture, but I could not get the adjuster to move. The hole seemed bigger which later turned out to be because it is coned to help facilitate the entry of the allen end into its mark.

So, what did I do? I removed the whole dang assembly that houses the air plate and proceeded to remove the adjuster arm.

Now time for some back ground:

When I got the engine with the CIS there was a little red hose, from a can of WD40 can or something similar, sticking out of the air intake sleeve. In this set up the engine should have run leaner as this lets more air in AFTER the fuel regulation circuit.

Currently:

So I removed the adjustment screw arm and what I was suspecting to find, I did. The adjust screw was adjusted all the way rich. It was also caked with dirt so much that it couldnt be adjusted (probably why they put the extra air bypass in). I cleaned it, installed it, adjusted and tried to start it. Adjusted. Adjusted and now the throttle response and starting are much easier.

Now it feels like the timing is off. That will be the next episode. I am pretty happy to have gotten this part of the problem sorted. Thanks to everyone who gave me insite into the adjusting of the CIS. biggrin.gif
krazykonrad
Let me ask a really stupid question, huh.gif but I ASSume that you've got the CIS on a six?
Did the block riginally come with CIS or did you add it on? If you added it on, please let us know how you did it!
Thanks!
Konrad
72/4
P.S. Have you blown up the airbox yet? laugh.gif
Dr Evil
It is the 2.7 /6 in my sig line that came out of a '74 and originally came with CIS. If you want to adapt CIS to a /4 do a search as the topic has been discussed with in the last 3 mo. I know ejm has one converted.
914efi
Order or borrow the correct pressure guage to be able to check fuel pressure and control pressure($50.00 ebay). If it has been sitting for a long time the FD might have problems. If you are pretty good with small mechanisms don't be afraid to take apart the control pressure regulator to clean. Just be careful. Is it a lambda system with o2 sensor?
Dr Evil
'74, no lambda. I already took care of the rest of the system (other posts), this was the last basic adjustment. Now I get to fool with the dizzy blink.gif
iamchappy
I was lucky, when I installed the SC 3.0 engine I purchased off Ebay and fired it up it ran perfect, I never touched a thing adjusted or timed the engine, all was good. Then I started to F--- with it, slapped a turbo on it and a fuel enrichment injector a boost timing retard ignition and it still ran great never adjusted or timed it, I take that back I did adjust the valves. The bad news came when the oil pump sucked up a chunk of something, now I sit and wait and throw money at it in hope that it will run as it should but I highly doubt it will, WCC will come and go and I wont be there, the engines so cobbed together I am sure everyone will hear about it good or bad, hopefully by Fall.
I am hoping for the best maybe I will get lucky.

Good luck Evil one.
Dr Evil
If it wasn't originally F-ed up I wouldn't have been able to afford it wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.