Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need a "cat"...for the six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
has any one ever built a muffler with a cat for a six???
i need one, that fits on the six headers....
does anyone make one or can anyone make a one off....???
need it soon.....
GeorgeRud
I've never done it, but it seems that you could weld a flange just past the point where the three tubes come together on each header/heat exchanger and then bolt on a small converter on each side before the muffler. Certainly should help a lot with the emissions, but I've never seen one done.
Qarl
has any one ever built a muffler with a cat for a six???

I'm not sure how it would help with emissions... but what about this version?

w00t.gif
pete-stevers
meow!!!!
nice wittle puddy tat....
pete-stevers
i was thinking of running two pipes off th e headers one longer and joining them togather and running them both into a cat.....and into a muffler or silencer of sorts....and take it off after the test is done.....it jsut needs drop hydro carbons and bad stuff for the test......afterwards....back to the regular muffler....
ultimately emissions is only interested in making the car perform as it was new....a 2.0 four......the 3.0 may be more eficeint but it is smoking a tad.....so it will be a hard pass, unless i get creative......
cardiaceagle
always wondered what aircare whould do with a 6 convertion...
so it just has to meet the original specs...
my 1.7 always passed with flying colors,buy the bar is not set to high...
regards
GWN7
Do what GM did in the 70's to pass smog...pump fresh air into the exaust. Drill some holes in the exaust and add pipe attachments. Hook up 12V air pumps till it passes...........be carefull that you don't push too much air thru or it will whistle. wink.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Buy one of those Bursch systems with 3 small mufflers. Remove one muffler, install the catalyst. You need a muffler after the cat to provide some backpressure. The Cap'n
Joe Bob
I have.....one version used two sport cats. My next version used a larger cat with a single outlet.

I have the two sport ones sitting up in the garage.

You can have them for the shipping.

They are about 2/3 the size of below.....worked fine for CA emissions on my 3.6.
Joe Bob
BTW....cats also quiet down an exhaust. You can get away with a less restrictive muffler with inline cats making up the difference.
pete-stevers
wow! thanks mike.......
does it fit on a set of six headers?
for the life of me i can't rember who i bought them from, msds rings a bell.
can you post more pics of it??? or pm me details....
pete-stevers
i have got a bit of sorting to do....
one vaccum problem with the advance....
and i will lean it out for testing
plus a few litres of methyl hydrate.....helps a bit to....
i will get all this sorted first for a basline....and use a cat if nessary lastly....

Joe Bob
2.5 inch OD pipe...
pete-stevers
so i could just weld flanges on ....bolt straigt on , like a set of megaphones.....
i think that will work great!!....
Joe Bob
"I" would bolt them right off the header flanges and put a glass pack after that and then bolt them to the hanger and add tips...you could also add some supertrapp end caps....
Joe Bob
Look what "I" found.....
drive-ability
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jul 22 2006, 01:41 PM) *

i have got a bit of sorting to do....
one vaccum problem with the advance....
and i will lean it out for testing
plus a few litres of methyl hydrate.....helps a bit to....
i will get all this sorted first for a basline....and use a cat if nessary lastly....

I would ask what the emission numbers are? Have you had the car tested / sniffed? There is a formula of sorts depending on where your numbers are. If your HC is too high leaning out the mixture will make it go higher, if your NOX is the problem timing and a richer mixture will cool down the readings. Clearly a test to establish where you are would be a good start. I am sure shops do straight "tune up" mode tests for that reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.