Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ready to install these gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
I have an oil pressure, oil temp and CHT gauge to install and I'm not going to make a rat's next of wires in the process. biggrin.gif

Is it possible to sneak all three sets of wires into the cabin alongside an existing loom?

Also, which cylinder's spark plug should I attach the CHT sensor ring to? Is number 3 the hotter one? It has been too long since I’ve wrenched consistently on these cars and I hate it when I forgot the trivial bits.

And what's considered "normal" oil pressure. 1 bar is about 14 psi. I hope to see around 40 - 60 PSI when at speed, right?

How about regular CHT temps? When should I worry?

Thank you!
McMark
Yes, yes yes. biggrin.gif You can fit wires next the the stock loom, and if you use lube you can sometimes sneak them into the stock rubber boot. #3 is the cylinder of choice for the CHT. You have the spark plug ring, correct? There are some 'standard' mods to the ring, including bending the wire attachment point 90 degrees so that it comes straight up out of the spark plug hole. IIRC, the hole can be opened up a bit as well to make installation and removal of spark plugs easier.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 22 2006, 10:11 AM) *

Yes, yes yes. biggrin.gif You can fit wires next the the stock loom, and if you use lube you can sometimes sneak them into the stock rubber boot. #3 is the cylinder of choice for the CHT. You have the spark plug ring, correct? There are some 'standard' mods to the ring, including bending the wire attachment point 90 degrees so that it comes straight up out of the spark plug hole. IIRC, the hole can be opened up a bit as well to make installation and removal of spark plugs easier.

Hi Mark,

Yes, I bought the CHT gauge kit NIB, so I have the ring and resistor wire, etc. Thanks for the installation tips!

Being a pilot, I just feel so naked without having a engine gauges. I think I'll install an artificial horizon and vertical speed indicator next! tongue.gif
Joe Bob
Convert your dash oil temp gauge to #s and add EGT.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(ZZZZZ @ Jul 22 2006, 10:47 AM) *

Convert your dash oil temp gauge to #s and add EGT.

I don't have an in-dash oil temp gauge (not that you'd want a temp gauge to read in pounds).... I don't mind the pressure gauge being in bars (if that's what you mean). Yeah, an EGT would nice!
McMark
#s == numbers
#s != pounds
lapuwali
Oil pressure: 10psi per 1000rpm. 14.5psi = 1 bar. Figure 2-3 bar at normal running speeds.

CHT: 250-300dF running around town, 320-375dF at freeway speeds. 350-390dF pulling up a hill. Over 400dF is a problem.

Use 20 or even 22g wire for the oil pressure, oil temp wires and you can save a bit of room to sneak the wires in through the stock loom.

RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 22 2006, 11:32 AM) *

#s == numbers
#s != pounds

Fsssssph. smile.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 22 2006, 11:41 AM) *

Oil pressure: 10psi per 1000rpm. 14.5psi = 1 bar. Figure 2-3 bar at normal running speeds.

CHT: 250-300dF running around town, 320-375dF at freeway speeds. 350-390dF pulling up a hill. Over 400dF is a problem.

Use 20 or even 22g wire for the oil pressure, oil temp wires and you can save a bit of room to sneak the wires in through the stock loom.

Very helpful, thank you!
RoadGlue
One more question,

The oil pressure sender has two leads - one marked G and the other marked WK

Does G = Gauge and WK = Idiot Light?

lapuwali
Yes.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 22 2006, 12:38 PM) *

Yes.

Thank you!
ThinAir
So how do you install the pressure sender? I've got the same gauge/sender and the sender is way too big to fit straight onto the engine in place of the stock sender. I've been told that putting an extension pipe onto the sender to gain height is a VERY BAD THING because having that heavy sender on the end has a tendency to make the extender shear off at the case. You can't just use a piece of hose because the sender needs to ground to the case. Is there any kind of flexible extender that works? I'd love to be able to install mine.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(ThinAir914 @ Jul 22 2006, 01:50 PM) *

So how do you install the pressure sender? I've got the same gauge/sender and the sender is way too big to fit straight onto the engine in place of the stock sender. I've been told that putting an extension pipe onto the sender to gain height is a VERY BAD THING because having that heavy sender on the end has a tendency to make the extender shear off at the case. You can't just use a piece of hose because the sender needs to ground to the case. Is there any kind of flexible extender that works? I'd love to be able to install mine.

Oh crap, you're right. Anyone?
lapuwali
Lots of places sell flexibel extension hoses. It's basically a grease gun hose. aircooled.net is one. pelican may, as well. Just make sure you tie the sender body to something grounded (the fan housing is good), as the sender rarely grounds well through the hose.

gklinger
Here's mine. Grounded thru the sender case to the bracket to the engine case.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(gklinger @ Jul 22 2006, 02:07 PM) *

That's really cool!

Hmmm, I'd like to find the hose locally. Any idea about what type of store would carry that?
Joe Bob
Bet if you took the pic to a local auto parts store you could match it up....short of that, any truck/forklift shop that makes hydraulic lines....
RoadGlue
QUOTE(ZZZZZ @ Jul 22 2006, 02:15 PM) *

Bet if you took the pic to a local auto parts store you could match it up....short of that, any truck/forklift shop that makes hydraulic lines....

I'd just take the sender. smile.gif
RoadGlue
OK, went ahead and ordered the hose from Aircooled.net. I looked on PP's site too, but I couldn't find it in three minutes so I gave up. tongue.gif

Aircooled.net's site asks for the thread dimensions, as I guess there are two options. Messured mine, and it's the 10x1 threads.

Thanks everyone!
ThinAir
QUOTE(gklinger @ Jul 22 2006, 02:07 PM) *

Very sweet installation! I Like It!
Aaron Cox
i too have the aircooled.net braided extension... needs a ground clamp.

i ran oil pressure, rear defrost, rally light battery leads, and another set of wires thru the stock jboot in the engine bay, and also the center tunnel.

not a prob
Joe Bob
rear defroster?

Pansy.....
McMark
The rear defroster is a SoCal heater. For those winter nights when 70 degrees is just too chilly. lol2.gif
Aaron Cox
just an extra add on and another cool switch on the dash smile.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 22 2006, 06:01 PM) *

i too have the aircooled.net braided extension... needs a ground clamp.

Ahh, so when they said, "Kit" that in fact doesn't include the mounting strap? That's a bit dweeby of the them. Who makes a ground strap?
Aaron Cox
uh your local hardware store AND mcmaster.com

just a basic padded clamp, and you take off the padding.

i bought a hose, dunno bout no steeenkin kit
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 22 2006, 06:24 PM) *

uh your local hardware store AND mcmaster.com

just a basic padded clamp, and you take off the padding.

i bought a hose, dunno bout no steeenkin kit

Hardware store? What's that?

OK, I thought that perhaps there was a German UberKlamp that would give me at least 3 more HP... Assuming I painted it yellow of course. But the car's already yellow, so adding a yellow clamp could potentially counteract the... oh, never mind.
DNHunt
My car has more parts from Ace Hardware than Porsche. It has more parts from VW than Ace I think. The current bobblehead on the dash is John Madden. He'd probably prefer a VW bus though.

Dave

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.