Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: possible 914 purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Schnell944
hey guys, I am new to this board. I currently have a 944 and frequent the Rennlist board if any '44 guys are here. Anyway, you probably have been asked this numerous times, but what should I particualrly lok for when buying a 914. My father's friend has one that's suposedly rust free, save for a couple little boubles. he's jsut frustrated with the car and reportedly has a cruddly mechanic. Im more concerned with rust than anything(been ther, dont that with an old BMW 2002) and hope to use the car for autocross and just keep the '44 as a daily-driver. He may possible trade me his 914 for my '76 BMW 2002 pluss cash coming to me. I think it should be a good deal as im tired of the bimmer and it isnt a realistic track car for me.....but i have to check out the car first. thanks guys for any help and advice!

Ryan Z
Bleyseng
Ok here is a few brief facts:
1. find a rust free car, a 73-74 2 liter car is the favorite. They have the most options, side shift trannys, largest hp motors (95HP). Look for front and rear sway bars, alloy rims, center console, other goodies.
2. find a car complete in as best of condition you can afford.
3. Open the engine lid, look at the battery tray, support, pull out the FI ECU look down in the engine shelf. Look for acid damage from the battery dripping. If it is clean and rust free look for cheap fiberglass repairs in this area. Crawl under car and look up under battery tray area, longs, supension points for rust and acid damage.
4. Look at the interior, how is it's condition? complete? trashed? Interiors can be had but usually not for cheap.
5. Look at the engine, does it have FI? If it's complete, we can help getting it running. Is it really dirty,oily, underneath on the bottom of the engine? Lots of oil leaks then that will need to be repaired.
6. Where are the bubbles on the paint?
What is the year model of this friends car?
Take a pic and post it if you can. Write down the VIN # locate on the drivers windshield pillar. 473 000 000
Look at the thread of owners cars for some examples. My avatar is a pic of a 76 car
Geoff
mskala
Other things to add: everybody says their car is rust-free, but they just don't know where to look. In addition to looking, I put the jack under each rear donut just behind the door, and see where the car goes when you jack it up. Mine is not bad, the top rear of the window moves maybe 1/8". If it is seriously rusty, you won't be able to open or close the door, and the door and window gaps will be rediculous.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
Schnell944
thanks for the info guys
Schnell944
hey guys....i got the report from my mechanic....the car is structurally sound. he says the frame and whatnot is strong. there is a bad injector and the shifter linkage is bad. he still seems pessimistic but i think he may jsut have a big bias when these early 914's, i dont know. what do you guys thing. can this be a fun car for me for autocrosses? with the stock engine now will i be laughted at at the events if i dont get around to majorly upgrading it before they start? thanks.
Jeroen
if you go to your first ax as en unexperienced driver in a slow or underpowered car, no one will laugh
they'll laugh if you bring a cannon and can't set a decent time biggrin.gif

cheers,

jeroen
Schnell944
I've been autocrossing for a year now in my 944....so, ya, im still in the unexperienced bracket, but did OK in the standings, i guess. any encouraging votes on this venture? wavey.gif
seanery
914's are great race cars, if you like the car and have the dough, go for it!
Jeroen
go for it!
the 914 is a go-cart compared to your 944

cheers,

jeroen
Schnell944
even the '72?
Jeroen
You say it's a '72, so I guess it's got the 1.7 engine and the tailshifter gearbox

The 1.7 is the least performing 4 that was available over the years (around 80bhp IIRC)
There were also a 2.0 and a 1.8

In '73 the gearbox was updated to a "side shifter" which improved the shifting

There are quite a few more differences between the model years, but the engine and gearbox are the most important ones

What's more important IMO is that the car is solid and rustfree.
You can (and probably will) do the other upgrades later...

But, if you're still in doubt, go testdrive a 2.0 and see if you can find a decent one within your budget

cheers,

Jeroen
mskala
Ryan, good to hear your car is not a rust pile.
Even with the 1.7L, you won't be laughed at
at the AX. It's always nice to have more HP,
but if stock it is really not much, and in
autocross the way 914's win or get good
times is by not slowing down, rather than
being able to accelerate quickly. I've had
a 1.7, a 2.0, and the current 2.0-6, and of
course there is a great difference for 0-60
times and such, you should still be able to
put in a good time and improve before
worrying about power. There are things you
can do without breaking the bank to up the
displacement.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
mightyohm
Noone ever mentions that the earlier 1.7s actually have a few more HP (80 vs. 72 HP, is it?) than the 73 on 1.7s.
I have a W code 1.7 in my 72, thanks. biggrin.gif

Just sticking up for the early cars... Of course I would avoid the tailshifters if I could... But there are some sideshift conversions out there. Good transmission, slightly higher HP engine, and no funny bumper thingies.
Schnell944
ok then, well i got the car, and it's solid.. yes, it's the 1.7 in it...should be a fun little project. You'll be hearing more from me once I start working on it. thanks for the encouragement.

Ryan Z beerchug.gif
seanery
Congrats Ryan!

Now, we'll need some pics!
There is a thread buried somewhere with reader's rides photos.

Way to go & welcome, you'll want to sell the 944 soon, trust me, I'm replacing my 86 951 with a 72 with a 2.0 in it. 914's and aircooled 911's are so much more fun!
Schnell944
i dont kno about getting rid of the 944...its been good every day transport for me and is quite comfortable in that respect, but u never know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.