Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hi from Newbie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WildBill
Hi, I have been lurking off and on forever, I am finally getting back to the 914 after spending 5 years building a house. I was once again surprised to see how helpful and pleasant (not too pleasant though icon8.gif ) the people on this forum are.

I have a 1973 2.0 that I painted 8 years ago and never put back together that I hope to get going in the next couple of months. Still needs the floor pan scraped and painted, brakes done, wiring finished, and the new carb linkage set up. Then mostly install the best pieces from the mountain of lights and interior parts I have. It currently lives in my unfinished basement; I knew putting French doors in was a good idea. It has about 1/2 inch to spare on each side going through the doors.

I have downloaded tons of Classic threads, very impressive work for a bunch of people nutty enough to become obsessed with an overpriced VW. Hopefully I can get it going and make it to some of the events, after reading the forum for a couple of weeks I expect it to be very interesting meeting you guys/girls in person.

Bill F.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Allan
wavey.gif welcome.png
grasshopper
welcome.png We are here to help. Looks like a great car! Lots of people in your area to help also. smile.gif
KELTY360
So where in Washington are you? there's quite a few teeners up here, but you never see them on the road. Hope you get it running soon.

And, oh yeah........ welcome.png
WildBill
I am below Spokane, WA in a town call Palouse (900 people). About 300 miles east of Seattle.
ThinAir
Welcome! Always nice to see a new face here. Hopefully we can help you get it back on the road quickly. Despite the rumors to the contrary, 914s are meant to be driven, not to hold down jack stands!
welcome.png
WildBill
I just noticed Kelty360 was in Renton, my 914 came from there about 15 years ago. I had never seen one before and was over there looking to buy a old muscle car. I bought it instead and drove it 300 miles with no muffler, just the headers. I couldn't hear for a week after. It set off car alarms when I stopped to by gas and my wife had block cops the whole way home.
Joe Bob
VELKOMMEN TO THE MACHEEN......
KELTY360
QUOTE(WildBill @ Jul 23 2006, 09:28 PM) *

I just noticed Kelty360 was in Renton, my 914 came from there about 15 years ago. I had never seen one before and was over there looking to buy a old muscle car. I bought it instead and drove it 300 miles with no muffler, just the headers. I couldn't hear for a week after. It set off car alarms when I stopped to by gas and my wife had block cops the whole way home.

Do you know if it was originally a 2.0? I sold a yellow 1.7 30 years ago in Seattle and would love to find out if it's survived. Is it VIN #4732921292 by any chance?
WildBill
VIN# 4732918695, so no. Not sure how to tell what that VIN means though.
Toast
bye1.gif

Nice car. Looks kindof like mine, except your hood is more straight. dry.gif

Keep us posted on your progress.
GWN7
Hello and welcome beerchug.gif
WildBill
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

My hood (and everything else on the outside) got fixed by a guy I work with. The hood, trunk, and complete drivers side started out hammered, the door looked like someone took a baseball bat to it and both fenders were crunched in past the tire. He worked the metal so there is nothing but a heavy primer filling low spots, and very little of that. It was amazing to watch. Took about a month of nights and weekends. Also removed the rusty battery tray and patched a little hellhole area. Now I run an Optima in the front trunk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.