Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Volt meter doesn't work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
The volt meter in the center console of my '74 2.0 doesn't register at all. When I jump across the terminals on the back I get 11.9 with the ignition on and 13+ with the engine running. Does this mean the gauge is bad? Can it be fixed?

The clock and the oil temp gauge work fine.
lapuwali
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 23 2006, 09:35 PM) *

The volt meter in the center console of my '74 2.0 doesn't register at all. When I jump across the terminals on the back I get 11.9 with the ignition on and 13+ with the engine running. Does this mean the gauge is bad? Can it be fixed?

11.9 switch on and 13-ish running is exactly correct. Sounds like the gauge is fine and only the wiring to it is bad.
anthony
Yeah, to me it sounds like the gauge is dead.

11.9 switch on and 13-ish running is exactly correct. Sounds like the gauge is fine and only the wiring to it is bad.

The wiring to the volt gauge isn't know for it's accuracy. I'd use it more as a relative measure of system voltage.

KELTY360
[quote name='anthony' date='Jul 24 2006, 12:42 AM' post='736084']
Yeah, to me it sounds like the gauge is dead.

Thanks. Is there a way to fix the gauge or is the fix to find a working one?
lapuwali
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you read 11.9 and 13+ off the gauge after you rearranged the wires in the back. Try removing the gauge and connecting it with your own wires directly to the battery terminals, and see what happens.

The gauge can be fixed, but it's probably cheaper to just find a used one that still works.
KELTY360
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 24 2006, 07:48 AM) *

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you read 11.9 and 13+ off the gauge after you rearranged the wires in the back. Try removing the gauge and connecting it with your own wires directly to the battery terminals, and see what happens.

The gauge can be fixed, but it's probably cheaper to just find a used one that still works.

Good idea, what's involved in fixing the gauge?
lapuwali
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 24 2006, 07:55 AM) *

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 24 2006, 07:48 AM) *

Good idea, what's involved in fixing the gauge?

Never had one apart, but it's most likely a simple moving coil meter. The deadness is most likely one of the super fine coil wires has broken. These are very difficult to solder, but you can certainly try your hand at it. A rebuilding shop like PA Speedo will likely have good used parts on hand. They'll charge a good deal more than a complete used one will cost to repair yours, however.
anthony
Yeah, just find a good used one. Or, if you didn't care about originality you could pop in a VDO gauge.

IPB Image
KELTY360
Thanks. Next stop, classifieds.
So.Cal.914

Those readings seem fine to me, just run your own wires. If you really want to

toss some money send it to So.Cal.914 restoration fund, La Quinta, CA.
KELTY360
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 24 2006, 10:14 AM) *

Those readings seem fine to me, just run your own wires. If you really want to

toss some money send it to So.Cal.914 restoration fund, La Quinta, CA.

The wires are fine, it's the gauge that won't give a reading. Tested it out of the car, direct to the battery - nada.

BTW, check is in the mail (ever heard that before?)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.