Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poohsan
I took my wife for her first ride in my Teener. driving.gif She was not happy with the noise volume. What are my options when it comes to quieter mufflers? I’m not sure what I currently have but I’ve been told that it is not stock. I also know I have an exhaust leak.

Click to view attachment
My Teener = 1975 1.8

-arron
Mueller
the factory muffler works well.....next would be a Bursch....the unit you have are known to be loud and rust and be too heavy...
RoadGlue
QUOTE(poohsan @ Jul 23 2006, 10:44 PM) *

I took my wife for her first ride in my Teener. driving.gif She was not happy with the noise volume. What are my options when it comes to quieter mufflers? I’m not sure what I currently have but I’ve been told that it is not stock. I also know I have an exhaust leak.

Click to view attachment
My Teener = 1975 1.8

-arron

Carbs or stock injection? Is the sound pad still present on the engine side of the firewall? Do you have any exhaust leaks? Looks like you're running the Monza four-tip exhaust. It's louder for sure, and is really raspy compared to a Bursch setup's deeper tone.

My current teener has a Bursch muffler with the stock 2.0 D-jet injection and I can't believe how quite it is compared to my '71 that also had a Bursch, but that had been converted over to dual 40 IDF carbs. Intake noise was fun around town, but that much noise made normal conversation a burden and was also rather fatiguing on longer trips (geez, am I getting older or boring?).

Stock hotdog mufflers are heavy.

Cheers,
anthony
Let your wife drive the teener and then she'll get it.
McMark
I agree with Randy, and add that if your Bursch is loud it's probably rusted out. wink.gif They are very quiet when new. The engine bay sound pad, although a water trap and despised by most everyone, is VERY effective at reducing the sound in the cabin. I get phone calls from a few people while on the road and I can't even tell they're in their 914 or a brand new car. It helps so much.
tdgray
I have the Sebring from Pelican. I would say it is relatively quiet... but still has a nice rumble when under load. Inexpensive too. biggrin.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 24 2006, 10:17 AM) *

I agree with Randy, and add that if your Bursch is loud it's probably rusted out. wink.gif They are very quiet when new. The engine bay sound pad, although a water trap and despised by most everyone, is VERY effective at reducing the sound in the cabin. I get phone calls from a few people while on the road and I can't even tell they're in their 914 or a brand new car. It helps so much.

I never said that he has a Bursch, but was just sharing the experiences I've had with them. He has a four-tip Monza. tongue.gif The Monza mufflers I've seen are usually half rotten, and I'm surprised to see all four tips still attached on his.
maf914
I bought a four tip Monza and could stand it for less than a year. Just too damn noisy for my taste. I found I was pussy-footing the accelerator when in my neighborhood and when pulling into my driveway. I went back to the stock set-up for relief and got rid of the Monza. I later tried a Bursch which I found to be okay.
So.Cal.914
Your current muffler with the up swept tips looks like an Anza to me, I have the same

on mine. Yes it is loud but motorcycles run loud pipes for saftey wink.gif and I like the

tone.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 24 2006, 10:36 AM) *

Your current muffler with the up swept tips looks like an Anza to me, I have the same

on mine. Yes it is loud but motorcycles run loud pipes for saftey wink.gif and I like the

tone.

It's my understanding that Monza copied the look of Anza mufflers. Ansa is the real deal, and you'll find them on some of the more interesting Italian and other European cars. However, I don't think Ansa ever made an exhaust system for Porsche/VW.
ChrisFoley
I'm pretty sure the 4 tip muffler I recently removed from a car at my shop says ANSA on it.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 24 2006, 05:38 PM) *

I'm pretty sure the 4 tip muffler I recently removed from a car at my shop says ANSA on it.

Waaah? You wouldn't dare to say that I might be mistaken, WOULD YOU?!?!?!?

Ok, so I might be mistaken. ohmy.gif
Brando
Quieter? Go with a Bursch and promptly head to a muffler shop. Tell them you would like a very quiet muffler installed. I think they come with a magnaflow or something that's decent on the quiet scale, but louder than stock.
poohsan
To answer the first set of questions:

- Stock injection
- No sound pad
- Yes there is an exhaust leak

I do agree that the current loud pipes give me a little visibility (audible) which I like. But overall the sound is too much.

So the consensus here is to go with a stock muffler ($$$) or with the Bursch.

Is the Bursch a direct bolt in or will I need to go to the muffler shop?

-Arron
cassidy_bolger
What about Triad?

I have read here that folks like 'em, but I don't know how they compare sound / performance-wise to a Bursch. Rumor has it they will last longer.

My issue is the looks. They make them only as dual pipes and everyone I have seen is on a car running no rear valance (unofficial WCC survey).

Anyone have one with the valance in place? How do it look?

unsure.gif
terrymason
I say fix your exhaust leak first, then see how it sounds
maf914
QUOTE(poohsan @ Jul 24 2006, 08:10 PM) *

So the consensus here is to go with a stock muffler ($$$) or with the Bursch.

Is the Bursch a direct bolt in or will I need to go to the muffler shop?

-Arron

The Bursch was a direct bolt on for me. I recommend the Bursch with the "quiet" muffler version as opposed to the glass pack cherry bomb version they also sell.

People with Triad mufflers seem to love them. I don't have any experience with them though.

I just realized you have a 75 1.8 car. Do you still have the original 75 three bolt flange single pipe heat exchangers. If so, this may limit your options. I think the 75-76 original equipment mufflers are NLA. I don't know if Triad offers a muffler for the 75-76 years. Bursch does have a system.
horizontally-opposed
Well, if you want quiet, this might be a good way to go:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=47978&hl=

pete
ChrisFoley
A very heavy muffler
Joe Bob
The ANSA/Monza mufflers rusted on the shelf.....
maf914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 26 2006, 04:56 AM) *

A very heavy muffler

The Monza I had, similar to the ANSA, was also pretty heavy. Another heavy but nice muffler is the Mittlemotor stainless steel muffler. The Bursch is a lightweight in comparison.
brer
I know a guy with a stock 2.0 muffler and exchangers in really good used condition.
get it coated and it would look new.
ChrisFoley
Really good used condition - that means the leaks won't become obvious until a few months after you install it on your car. laugh.gif
GeorgeRud
The ANSA 4 tip muffler (or the copy) were not only noisey, but also cost you horsdpower over the stock factory muffler. The large 2.0 liter stock muffler may not look as cool to some, but it's an extremely efficient design. Stick with the stock muffler if you can, quiet and efficient.
brer
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 26 2006, 04:25 PM) *

Really good used condition - that means the leaks won't become obvious until a few months after you install it on your car. laugh.gif

confused24.gif

what, dont you have good used mufflers in CT ??
poohsan
I’m going to buy some ramps this weekend and get under the car. I’ll take pictures of the heat exchangers, current muffler, and other stuff. This will give me a better idea what I’m dealing with.

Is there any one local, (Los Angeles, ca) who has a stock 1975 muffler for sale?

Arron
turboman808
I was thinking of going with a 2 way magnaflow muffler and custom piping. Thought that might be really quiet and not very restrictive.

This one does a crossover in the middle. I figure that would cause some sort of noise canceling effect HAHA I guess

But lucky for me I have one of the best muffler shops a few miles away.

IPB Image
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 24 2006, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 24 2006, 10:36 AM) *

tone.

It's my understanding that Monza copied the look of Anza mufflers. Ansa is the real deal, and you'll find them on some of the more interesting Italian and other European cars. However, I don't think Ansa ever made an exhaust system for Porsche/VW.

Well maybe monza put anza stickers on my exaust and put it in a Anza box and

sold it to me. Than again maybe not. dry.gif Yes they are very heavy. Mine is wrapped in aluminum, I've had no problem with rust.

Out of all the exausts that have been on my 914 the anza has performed the best, each tube is equal.
maf914
QUOTE(poohsan @ Jul 26 2006, 07:24 PM) *

Is there any one local, (Los Angeles, ca) who has a stock 1975 muffler for sale?
Arron

I think the 75-76 mufflers, primary and secondary, are NLA, at least according to most of the mail order sources. The systems for these cars had one pipe from each heat exchanger connect to the primary muffler on the passenger side, then a single pipe (or catalytic converter for the CA cars), then the secondary muffler. Entirely different from the earlier cars with their 911 style single banana mufflers. I suspect all you will find for the 75-76 heatexchangers will be the 75-76 Bursch system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.