Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel injectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
1.7 d-jet removed injectors to test crank engine nothing comes out. know there is fuel in the line 29 psi. move throttle by hand with ignition on no clicking. obviousle electrical. checked relay it's good. need help. this car is 14 hrs from e-bay.
drewvw

so lets recap....the car was fine until you pulled the tank and redid the lines and now nothing eh.

Sounds like something got disconnected when you were doing fuel line work.

trigger points on dizzy hooked up?

if you turn the key but DONT start it and hold down the throttle...do you hear the injectors clicking and clacking?
BMXerror
Agreed. Make sure the three wire plug is hooked up at the base of the distributor. That's the signal from your injection points to the injectors. If it is hooked up, make sure that the wires and connectors are in good shape and clean. If those are fine, go to the points themselves. Make sure they're not broken or dirty. Hope that helps.
Mark D.
swl
Tons of posibilities. One that I found was the wires to the MPS. That carries the pulse that will eventually go to the injector. I had broken one wire pulling the connector off the MPS. produced the symptoms you describe. You can check by pulling the connector off the ECU and measuring resistance - both pairs should be low.
Dr Evil
Finally, a problem that I have some specialization in (electrical). Now I have a reason to come by. Thurs?
nycchef

if you turn the key but DONT start it and hold down the throttle...do you hear the injectors clicking and clacking?
[/quote]

no clicking or clacking or clucking for that matter reaaally quiet. did find one broken wire on the forward side of the throotle sensor. fixed it didn't help.
nycchef
great i'm replying to myself. i have a pertronix ignitor. do i need to set the dwell before i put it in or is that the idea of a pertronix (no more dwell adj)?
rmital
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jul 24 2006, 12:03 PM) *

do i need to set the dwell before i put it in

....I think that's why you paid the 70 bucks...no more dwelling....you don't know what your missing....
tdgray
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jul 24 2006, 02:34 PM) *

1.7 d-jet removed injectors to test crank engine nothing comes out. know there is fuel in the line 29 psi. move throttle by hand with ignition on no clicking. obviousle electrical. checked relay it's good. need help. this car is 14 hrs from e-bay.

Check your TPS, if you are moving the throttle and getting nothing than that is the place to start. Do a search someone had a thread that told ohms that is was supposed to read in the close and WOT positions. Start there.
Mueller
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jul 24 2006, 01:03 PM) *

great i'm replying to myself. i have a pertronix ignitor. do i need to set the dwell before i put it in or is that the idea of a pertronix (no more dwell adj)?

NO dwell angle with the Pertronix...one less thing to worry about...

not sure why you are opening the throttle, the injectors should work with the throttle closed when you crank over the motor..only differance will be the amount of fuel at idle and WOT would be differant, otherwise they fire the same about of times while cranking whether WOT or closed.

with key on, do you have voltage to the injectors?

you can bypass the trigger points in the dizzy by quickly grounding the 2 outside terminals (alternating them, if you ground one, then you must ground the other to activate the flip-flop circuit)..the middle pin is ground, check it with your DVM..

drewvw
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jul 24 2006, 12:55 PM) *

no clicking or clacking or clucking for that matter reaaally quiet. did find one broken wire on the forward side of the throotle sensor. fixed it didn't help.

no clicking and clacking and a broken wire to the TPS? That sounds like a major clue....

this has got to be a disconnected or broken wire/connection.

somebody help him out before he goes insane... clown2.gif

EDIT: couple posts got in while I was posting...my understand was that moving the throttle with the key on but not starting causes the clicks and clacks to be more pronounced/frequent and therefore easier to hear.
nycchef
good advice guys. one more thing from pelican (efi troubleshooting) says check wire 18 (harness) to starter terminal 50. where are these things?
Mueller
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jul 24 2006, 01:18 PM) *

good advice guys. one more thing from pelican (efi troubleshooting) says check wire 18 (harness) to starter terminal 50. where are these things?

I could be "wrong", but one would think that the Haynes manual would have these numbers someplace... poke.gif

...even Pelican has the electrical diagrams...
nycchef
one or all of you was right about something because it started. running bad, timing off, low idle. probably have to tune it. but all vital functions are there. thank you as always . odd thing removed all the relays from the board yet my headlights and heater blower still worked.
Dave_Darling
Heater blower or the fresh air blower in the dashboard?

The relays on the relay board control four things (four relays, makes sense huh?).

One controls the rear window defroster. (Which most extant 914s don't have.) If you don't have that feature, treat it as an on-board spare part!
One controls the heater blower motor, the blower in the engine bay.
One controls if power gets to the D-jetronic EFI (stock 1.7 & 2.0 EFI system).
One controls if power gets to the D-jetronic fuel pump.

The rest of the relays used in the car are sitting on top of the fuse panel above the driver's feet, or up on the sides of the headlight buckets.

--DD
nycchef
[quote name='Dave_Darling' date='Jul 24 2006, 04:30 PM' post='736764']
Heater blower or the fresh air blower in the dashboard?

man did i get that wrong. mine only has 2 (po hot wired the fuel pump to the coil don't yell i'm working on it) thanks
Dr Evil
Thurs I am gonna put the electron whammy on this bitch. happy11.gif
nycchef
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 24 2006, 04:59 PM) *

Thurs I am gonna put the electron whammy on this bitch. happy11.gif

sounds like fun. what the hell are you talking about?
Dr Evil
Its Thurs that you are off next, right?
ptravnic
Doctor - the chef needs rescued. He's on the verge of 914 suicide. He's muttering words akin to selling the machine - something about ebay, asking about the cars value, etc...

Leo Imperial
I think I took care of that when I told him I would give him $50 and I would take care of the towing free of charge biggrin.gif

He has it running and I am sure we can fix it with a little adjusting

Sorry I have been MIA Richie, you know the deal.
Dr Evil
Thurs is a go for a rescue mission to Chef's thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.