Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stalling problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rcrgrl
okay, so finally back at my 914.... it starts fine, runs fine, but when it warms up, won't idle, and sometimes has very poor throttle response from a stop.

i have:
- checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner, (then w/ water - thanks Joe) can't seam to find any
- checked the timing and it seems ok, but since the marks are gone, this is my best guess with a matchbook cover - any suggestions on re-setting those marks and getting a better set? although, i don't really think timing is off.
- pulled the plugs and they say lean - still haven't figured that out, seems it should be rich, not lean.
- oh yeah, and dumped and ran a bottle of FI cleaner,
-replaced the fuel filter

i also replaced the PCV valve recently because the idle was too high, but i don't see how that could be related. anyway, before i start randomly changing stuff - i was hoping for some expert direction. i don't think its a sensor, cause it runs fine at speed, it just doesn't idle
WTF.gif
thanks guys in advance for your help!
j

ThinAir
Sounds like you have not adjusted the valves. If it runs fine cold, but won't run once it warms up, then it is often tight valves. So many other things depend upon proper valve adustment that it's probably the first thing to check before hunting for any other causes (especially ones that involve replacing parts).
JoeSharp
Race: What plug are you running?
;PERMAGRIN: Joe
rmital
QUOTE(rcrgrl @ Jul 24 2006, 09:37 PM) *

okay, so finally back at my 914.... it starts fine, runs fine, but when it warms up, won't idle, and sometimes has very poor throttle response from a stop.

......I had the same "exact" condition before this weekend....my car started great cold, ran like a champ till warm. Still ran great, bad idle at stops wanting to stall.

check my dwell angle...it was high, got it around 45^, the car runs great.
rcrgrl
thanks guys.
i have adjusted the valves. 2x's just to be sure smile.gif
joe- not sure, champion something, i'll check
and i'll check the dwell tonight and report back.....
JoeSharp
Race: Put some NGK B7ES's in there, they are the cold plug for us.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Jeffs9146
If it is injected then the problem is the cylinder head temp sender. It adjusts the fuel air mixture when the car warms up. If it is not working the car will run too rich and stall out!

Jeff
rmital
QUOTE(rcrgrl @ Jul 24 2006, 09:37 PM) *

i don't think its a sensor, cause it runs fine at speed, it just doesn't idle

...that's why I didn't think it was the CHT....sensor bad, it craps out at speed from running too rich.
Jeffs9146
...that's why I didn't think it was the CHT....sensor bad, it craps out at speed from running too rich.

Not always! Mine ran fine until you came to a stop sign and the idle dropped. It could be failing!

Jeff
brownaar
How old are your points? Seems to me I had a problem with old points when mine would heat up at one point.
mightyohm
Here are my thoughts:

My gut feeling is that it is running rich when it warms up.

Verify the ignition system is working properly first, including timing/dwell.

Check fuel pressure, adjust if necessary.

Check CHT sensor. Is IAT sensor connected and working?

Check operation of injectors. Are any stuck open? Is cold start injector stuck open?

Make sure MPS and other vacuum hoses are in good shape.

Test MPS to make sure it is not leaking down.
Jeffs9146
On mine, the threads were stripped and the sensor would sometimes make contact and other times not. I coiled the threads and put in a new sensor and all was well!!

Jeff
rcrgrl
so - i've actually got bosch plugs in there (the champions are on the other car) and they are white - definately running lean. this confuses me though, as lean should make it idle high right?
at the risk of sounding like i have no clue - cause i don't - how do i test the CHT sensor - this is the one by the #3 plug rigth?
dwell is fine, btw
thx
j
rcrgrl
so now it won't start at all.
i have unplugged the fuel pump, taken out the fuel filter, replaced a section of fuel line, put the fuel filter back in, and plugged back in the fuel pump now it won't start at all.
um - maybe i put the fuel filter in backwards, but i don't think so, and there is gas at the fuel rail when you turn the engine over. and you can hear the pump prime. and there is spark
WTF.gif
i'm going now to beer3.gif and maybe beer3.gif
sk8kat1
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jul 25 2006, 01:17 PM) *

On mine, the threads were stripped and the sensor would sometimes make contact and other times not. I coiled the threads and put in a new sensor and all was well!!

Jeff

hey my car is doing the same thing and my head sensor is slightly stripped too.. what was this cioling thing your are talking about .. how do you do that?!
SirAndy
QUOTE(rcrgrl @ Jul 27 2006, 10:06 PM) *

i have unplugged the fuel pump, taken out the fuel filter, replaced a section of fuel line, put the fuel filter back in, and plugged back in the fuel pump now it won't start at all.
um - maybe i put the fuel filter in backwards, but i don't think so, and there is gas at the fuel rail when you turn the engine over. and you can hear the pump prime. and there is spark

supply and return line switched ...

supply goes to the pass. side fuel rail, return comes from the pressure regulator on the drivers side ...

you mix them up, car won't start ...
smile.gif Andy
Jeffs9146
what was this cioling thing your are talking about .. how do you do that?!

It is a Heli-coil basicly you repair the threads with a Heli-coil. It is a tough angle to get to with the motor in but you can do it.

The directions are on the box of coils. You drill out the old threads and put in new ones.

Jeff
rcrgrl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 28 2006, 12:43 PM) *

QUOTE(rcrgrl @ Jul 27 2006, 10:06 PM) *

supply and return line switched ...

supply goes to the pass. side fuel rail, return comes from the pressure regulator on the drivers side ...

you mix them up, car won't start ...
smile.gif Andy

.. don't the supply/return lines connect directly to the fuel pump - i didn't take any lines off the fuel pump, just the fuel filter?

i'm so frustrated - no idea where to go from here - just seems to be getting worse
rcrgrl
yeah - fixed. the wire to the CHT was busted way down by where it meets up with the other wires, so i didn't see it first time. fixed it and it started right up.

tomorrow's forcast - driving-girl.gif

thank you everybody for your help!!!
ptravnic
rcrgrl - For future reference, print out Brad Ander's troubleshooting guide(s). I've found them tremendously usefull. The only downside is that there is sometimes a lot to read but it's chock-full of hints and tricks of the trade.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/

-pt
Jeffs9146
yeah - fixed. the wire to the CHT was busted way down by where it meets up with the other wires, so i didn't see it first time. fixed it and it started right up.

tomorrow's forcast -

thank you everybody for your help!!!

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

I win!! w00t.gif
JoeSharp
Race: That is good to hear. We have desided to get rid of some 1.7 D-Jet stuff. You could prolly talk Linda out of them. Are you coming up this way in the near feature?
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.