Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frankenmuffler finally done
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All
Well it is done. I finished the two mufflers. The first isn't a very good picture, a tad dark and being that it is installed, you cant see a whole lot. It is a stock 1.7 muffler that I cut open to see how it was baffelled (sp) - I will post a diagram of the inside. I then used the same technique of cutting some holes and welding on new tail pipes. The tail pipes were made from race megaphones - just because I liked the look of the "cookie cutter" on the inside. I used a brass freeze plug in the stock tailpipe hole - you can just barely see it between the J and 9 on the attached pic.
Car is actually not to terribly loud - especially at idle. It definitely gets louder as the RPMs increase. Performance wise it is tough to tell. I did notice one thing - if I was on it (3/4+ throttle) and then had to quickly hit the brakes, and then mashed it back down to 3/4+, it felt like it had a flat spot power wise. It was really hot for the drive home with lots of stop and go. I dont not know if that is what was causing this. I did do a quick mixture adjustment, but I still felt it.
One great thing - it was pushing 100 degrees and I was in stop and go traffic - I never got above 190 on the 40 minute drive home!
Scott S
Here is a side view:
Scott S
Here is the digram of the stock insides:
Scott S
Here is muffler number 2 - we added the cross over pipe. It did make a noticable difference in mid range torque (using the same amount of discs as it had previously). I will put it on the car and start adding discs and see what happens.

Scott S
trying to post a bigger pic...
tat2dphreak
drooley.gif dead sexy man! how's it sound?
thesey914
Scott, maybe I've been reading the wrong posts...but it's been too long since I've seen your Martini 914. I love it.
brant
Scott,

it looks awesome
really really good from the back

I love it!

brant
TonyAKAVW
Very interesting! What is the diameter and length of those megaphones in the second version? Also, what kind of engine are you running?

-Tony
Rand
Never noticed the 916-4 badge before. laugh.gif
Nice.
majkos
Too Kool! smoke.gif

If you like the "916-4" wait till you see the "dealership"Factory Invoice!

scott? could you do the honor? happy11.gif
Scott S
I am still getting used to the sound - not sure if I like it or not. Everyone who has heard it seems to really like it - even my wife unit. They all seem to think "it fits" the look of the car.

The megaphones were cut way down so they didn't stick out to far. The holes on the muffler are 2". We welded stub pipes to the cannister, then welded the megaphones over the top of the stub pipes, directly to the cannister. The stainless supertraps are just the normal 8" versions with a 2" inlet and 4" spark arrestor. The manifolds they are mounted to were actually cut from the megaphones.

The motor is just a warmed over 2.0 - euro pistons, cam, dual 40's, MSD - the usual junk. I am pretty sure the car had an engine fire prior to me owning it, and that is what caused the switch to carbs. I put in the new motor in 1996 - just rolled 10k miles.

thesey - I dont post many pics, as I have a pretty big complex over the car being to "rice" for many. But thanks for the kind words. beerchug.gif

Kev - I have no idea what you are talking about!
Ferg
Wow, that looks great Scott. Can't wait to hear it.

Ferg clap56.gif
Andyrew
Scott.. You have one of the nicest most respected (imho) 914's I know...

I would trade you cars any day....
STL914
Scott, can you post a picture or two of the modified 1.7 muffler? I'd like to see what it looks like off of the car.
majkos
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jul 25 2006, 02:37 PM) *

I am still getting used to the sound - not sure if I like it or not. Everyone who has heard it seems to really like it - even my wife unit. They all seem to think "it fits" the look of the car.

The megaphones were cut way down so they didn't stick out to far. The holes on the muffler are 2". We welded stub pipes to the cannister, then welded the megaphones over the top of the stub pipes, directly to the cannister. The stainless supertraps are just the normal 8" versions with a 2" inlet and 4" spark arrestor. The manifolds they are mounted to were actually cut from the megaphones.

The motor is just a warmed over 2.0 - euro pistons, cam, dual 40's, MSD - the usual junk. I am pretty sure the car had an engine fire prior to me owning it, and that is what caused the switch to carbs. I put in the new motor in 1996 - just rolled 10k miles.

thesey - I dont post many pics, as I have a pretty big complex over the car being to "rice" for many. But thanks for the kind words. beerchug.gif

Kev - I have no idea what you are talking about!

The "Original" Dealership invoice,only dealership could have this car?
Old,well folded paper. happy11.gif
Stieve
I want one or instructions on making one
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.