Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where are the Porsche 6 turbos?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3.6 teener
So I've been lurking, reading the posts, and 1dering... where are the Porsche 6 turbo conversions? Got information, pros or cons, pics? Would love to spit some waste gate flames out the back of mine!
Andyrew
IMCHAPPY has one... and theres one race car that I know of... Thats about it...

Not many guys feel they "need" 500hp..

im one of those needy guys I guess..
iamchappy
Mine is slowly coming together this Summer, the body is getting ready for paint and I should have my rebuilt engine within a week. I went over board and will have an immensely powerful engine with the displacement of the early 935's, 3.16 liters, twin-plugged, 86 930 intake with a Euro fuel distributor, K27 turbo with the large 3.0 SC heads and SC cams. I ask myself why everyday.... sad.gif

IAMCHAPPYS PORSCHE 914 6 GT TURBO CARERRA BUILD SHEET

IMSA SPEC. 3.16 CIS Turbo Twin-plug engine
Using 1979 SC 3.0 block, crank. rods and heads
1991 3.3 turbo pistons and cylinders
Rod pin modification for stroke
K27 7200
Spearco 1080 cfm intercooler
Two 7" electric fans for intercooler
Transmission cooler
Tilton electric transmission cooler pump
Mark Donahue special edition steering wheel(very rare).
Terry cables
86 930 turbo intake manifold
Euro fuel distributor
Bosch 400 lph racing fuel pump
Tial 38mm wastgate
Tial 50mm BOV
Turbo x boost controller
Hobbs 4 lb pressure switch
7th fuel injector micro fueler (911sc CSV)
Supertech 12 plug conversion distributor
MSD boost retard ignition with rev control
MSD shift light
2 MSD Blaster 2 coils
Magnacore twin plug 12 wires
RSR plug holders
Maganaflow 2.5"in 2.5"out muffler
Custom stainless crossover pipe
Hooker resonator exhaust tip
930 cam driven oil pump
Aeropquip stainless and blue line socketless fuel and oil lines
Fire sleeve
Front mounted oilcooler
Factory 914-6 oil tank
Factory 914-6 engine mount
Factory 914-6 rear stub axles
Front mounted oil cooler
911 front end with aluminum crossmember
951 Turbo brakes calipers front and rear
Brake bias valve
Carrera solid rotors
Speed bleeders
Porterfield RS-4 brake Pads
23MM master cylinder
Adjustable front swaybar
Rear sway bar (unmounted) for street
Set of 7,8X16 phone dial wheels
Set of 7,8x16 Fuchs (951)
Yokohama es100 225/50/16 , 245/45/16
Toyo RA1 225/50/16 , 245/45/16
Adjustable Koni shocks in front
911 gauges
901 side shift trans with Quaife and short gears (M,S,Z)
901 side shift trans stock gearing
Kennedy stage 2 clutch and pressure plate with starter ring
Shorten shifter
914-6 aluminum plated headers
Rear end has been reinforced
Suspension ears reinforced
Interior long reinforced
Bilstien shocks adjustable perches in rear
200lbs springs
Turbo tie rods
Steering rack has been lowered for bump steer
camber truss front and rear
Autopower Full roll cage
2005 Alpine cd mp3 player with 8" Quart subs driven by Alpine T220, Alpine type R 5 1/4 door and 6.5 kick panel speakers driven by Alpine T240 amp.
LED blue gauge bulbs
Gauge trim rings
Halogen headlights.
Gtech computer
a/r before turbo analog gauge Westberg
vdo boost vacuum gauge
gauge pod
Optima yellow deep cell battery
Billet battery holder
Oil dump tank
993 spare tire cover and tool kit
Hood mounted fuel door
GT fiberglass flares, rockers, Custom 914 6 GT valance and rear spoiler with intercooler duct.
Aluminum floor board
Aluminum pedals
All new chrome trim items
New engine lid letters
New ghost reflector rear lense
New windshield
Tow hooks
Modified Gt valance with brake ducts
914 Club badge ( on order )
Sammy
You can't turbo a 914 bs.gif dead horse.gif chair.gif laugh.gif rocking nana.gif poke.gif
turboman808
I called the engine builder of my car. Said the motor couldn't be turboed. To bad this car would be absolutely sick with 100 more hp.
iamchappy
Sammy your the one guy who I know would love to get in this car with me and go.
You have been with me through out this endeavor. Just think of the money I must of spent, no, lets not think, I would like to sleep tonight.

The scary part is there is still a lot more on the wish list.

The engine should be putting out 400hp to the wheels which is way more than I need.
Mueller
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 25 2006, 07:34 PM) *

I called the engine builder of my car. Said the motor couldn't be turboed. To bad this car would be absolutely sick with 100 more hp.

just lower the compression, it cannot cost "that" much more compared to the rest of the costs associated with adding a turbo.......the only other thing that would make your motor unsuitable would be the cams, but those too can be changed smash.gif

Look for some threads by Maltese Falcon, he has a turbo /6 with 935(?) horizontal fan burnout.gif

iamchappy
Maltese has about 600 hp, way sicker than I.
Aaron Cox
cha.. marty has a fatty 935 fan (horizontal down draft fan) and bi-turbo setup....

insane
banksyinoz
[ Just think of the money I must of spent, no, lets not think, I would like to sleep tonight.

The scary part is there is still a lot more on the wish list.

The engine should be putting out 400hp to the wheels which is way more than I need.
[/quote]

pray.gif holy stromberg.gif batman wat u do morgage the house that parts list would be like 10 xmas prezzies in one

happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif biggrin.gif
TimT
We had a customer that wanted us to turbo his stock 3.6. He didnt want us to change the compression ratio or tear down the engine at all.. just turboo charge it.

so we made manifolds. and got some tiny K26s, and limited the boost to 4-5 psi

AFAIK the car is still on the road.. The customer moved to Florida soon after we finished his car.

BTW it was a 911, just illustrating that high compression engine can be turbocharged
Sammy
Chappy, I would love to ride in your car. In fact I've thought about it several times.

Turboman, if your engine builder said the engine could not be turbocharged he does not know what he is talking about.
Any internal combustion engine can be turbocharged. Some can run high boost levels safely, some cannot.

It probably does not make sense to turbocharge an engine that could only handle 1 psi of boost safely, but it still could be done.
That might have been what he meant, that it wasn't worth it because the safe boost level was low.
What kind of engine are you running?

My stock 3 liter six is turbocharged and I'm running 7 psi boost which is good for around 80 or 90 additional hp.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Sammy @ Jul 26 2006, 07:25 AM) *

Chappy, I would love to ride in your car. In fact I've thought about it several times.

Turboman, if your engine builder said the engine could not be turbocharged he does not know what he is talking about.
Any internal combustion engine can be turbocharged. Some can run high boost levels safely, some cannot.

It probably does not make sense to turbocharge an engine that could only handle 1 psi of boost safely, but it still could be done.
That might have been what he meant, that it wasn't worth it because the safe boost level was low.
What kind of engine are you running?

My stock 3 liter six is turbocharged and I'm running 7 psi boost which is good for around 80 or 90 additional hp.

and to add more difficulty to turboman's setup... he has ITB's smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 26 2006, 09:34 AM) *

and to add more difficulty to turboman's setup... he has ITB's smile.gif

that is a minor detail, an air box can feed the throttle boxes.....

i'm guessing the engine builder is just playing it safe, if turboman adds a turbo and launches the motor as it is, the engine builder does not want to take any flack for something that was not his fault....
iamchappy
I built mine for reliablity using 3.3 turbo piston and cylinders, twin plug, turbo oil pump, lower compression and extra fuel enrichment, Supertec head studs, ARP rod bolts with 928 nuts and racing valve springs, intercooler.
As long as I was going through the trouble and expense I felt every precaution needed to be taken. My weak link is the transmission, since this is a daily driver and if i remain cautious and shift smoothly, things should hold together until I venture into the transmission upgrade down the road.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Sammy @ Jul 25 2006, 07:32 PM) *

You can't turbo a 914 bs.gif dead horse.gif chair.gif laugh.gif rocking nana.gif poke.gif

A 914-6 isnt a 914 it's a Porsche. biggrin.gif ...You can turbo a Porsche.
sww914
I think if you turbo a type IV, you should wear a flak jacket when you drive the car.
nein14
av-943.gif
turboman808
2.7 rs I read awhile back and it seemed porsche had trouble turboing these as well.

I would have to check the compression for myself. I have been told 10:1 and 8:1 confused24.gif

Yeah I got ITB but it is fuel injected so making pipes running to the ITBs might look kinda cool.

Probably wouldn't do it though. I'm saving for my pantera driving.gif

Besides lets be honest here. That kinda power is only good for showing off
Sammy
sww914, I'm not sure what your post means but I "think" you're suggesting that a turbocharged type 4 isn't reliable and will blow up.

My personal experience as well as several others on this board suggest otherwise. I can tell you of 3 or 4 people who have turbocharged type 4 engines with no problems, can anyone name one single person who has had a turbocharged type 4 engine blow up?
If so it was probably because they got greedy and cranked the boost up waaay to far.

I ran a turbocharged 2 liter for about 2 years and then sold it to a guy who used it as a daily driver for a while before selling it to someone else. No blow up, no problems.
It didn't even get to sit on jackstands, so based on that a turbocharged 914 is more reliable than a non-turbocharged 914 wink.gif
Sammy
Turboman, if your engine is built to 2.7RS specs it will have a high compression ratio as well as an agressive cam. Not very compatible with turbocharging but it could be done. You would probably only be able to run about 3 or 4 psi boost on pump gas so the cost and complexity would outweigh the benefit for most people.
A 2.7 RS is a very, very nice engine and should put out over 200 hp, with that engine you don't really need boost.
turboman808
QUOTE(Sammy @ Jul 26 2006, 01:04 PM) *

Turboman, if your engine is built to 2.7RS specs it will have a high compression ratio as well as an agressive cam. Not very compatible with turbocharging but it could be done. You would probably only be able to run about 3 or 4 psi boost on pump gas so the cost and complexity would outweigh the benefit for most people.
A 2.7 RS is a very, very nice engine and should put out over 200 hp, with that engine you don't really need boost.

Yeah it's not bad. 240hp and 190lbs torque. Still nothing like 400hp when you want to get to 150 real fast ohmy.gif
Sammy
Wow, the factory 2.7 engines were screamers rated at 210 hp, so at 240 you must really be cooking.
To get that much power out of a 2.7 it must be built to the hilt. Forget turbocharging.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.