Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you remember the woman from Maine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
One of the things that I have enjoyed while being a member of this group are the people and their stories. We've helped people through some tough challenges, some hard times and many good times. But, we've always banded together to help someone out.

There is one saga of which I have a distinct and fond memory. It started almost three years ago with a post in the garage. A woman from Maine named Joan Arbuthnot started a topic asking help in finding, evaluating and pricing a 914. Joan had purchased her first, and to that point, only 914 brand-new in 1971. The people of this club welcomed her with open arms and gave her considerable advice and direction. And, eventually directed her to a car for sale by another member that she wound up purchasing.

Now, in many of her posts, Joan told us that she was "older". I never really looked to find out what older meant. But, it didn't really matter. Joan purchased a car located across the country from her with the help of some club members. She then flew out West and drove her new 914 over 3,000 miles back to Maine. We all followed along as she made her trip.

I bring this up now because I just saw that Joan listed the 914 in the classifieds. She is moving to France and will not be taking the 914 with her.

We all wished her luck and supported her when she was making her cross-country trek. I would like to take this opportunity to wish her well in her new endeavor. Best wishes Joan and remember that being a member of the 914Club is a lifetime membership.

Are you sure you don't want to take the car with you? I understand there are some great twisties in France.
GWN7
Exactly what I thought when I read Joan's ad.......Just finished the car to the way she likes it....ship it over there and drive it.

Hi Joan smile.gif
Bleyseng
Course I remember as I hooked her up with Jim Chambers to buy that sweet 71.

Too bad she is selling it but someone should snap that car up as it is/was really nice clap56.gif
scottb
sat next to joan at b-fast for an ecr a couple of years back when i lived in mass. very nice lady.

while the car looks nice, show the inside of the house! what a classic looking nor-east house!

good luck on your move joan!

scott

Aaron Cox
Joan we wont forget you, and we all wish you well in your new endeavors!

AA
fiid
Joan gave a sizeable donation to my AIDS/Lifecycle ride a couple of years ago as well! Thanks Joan, and I'm sure you'll enjoy France!! Where abouts are you going to be?

That car looks beautiful. It might even have better paint than mine smile.gif biggrin.gif
anthony
Bon Voyage, Joan!
Brad Roberts
Joan sent me flowers one day when I was working with HPH!!

B
jarbuthnot
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 26 2006, 02:40 AM) *

Joan sent me flowers one day when I was working with HPH!!

B

Yes, and you almost had a heart attack happy11.gif

Thanks to everyone for all the nice words wub.gif I really appreciate them. Although I haven't been active on the board for a while, I've been lurking occasionally. And you're right, once a teener, always a teener.

We're moving to Brittany which is on the English Channel and the Atlantic, although we'll be in the middle of Brittany in a small town called Uzel. I love Maine, the house and the area I'm in, but I've always wanted a stone house in France, and decided to do it now while I still can.

One of the reasons I'm not taking the car - I would have to train another mechanic, and some of you will remember the trials I went through here. What would it be like with the language barrier (I can order a meal and get a hotel room in French, but it's not good enough for a plumber, let alone a mechanic sad.gif ).?

Scott, if you think the house is great, you should see the view. I'll see if I can't get that in the rest of the car pictures I'll be posting as soon as I get batteries for my camera.

I love you all and you're a great bunch of guys, oops, meant to say people. There will always be a spare bed at my house for a 914world.com member.

Brad Roberts
hum.. idea.gif

How close it that to Leman? biggrin.gif

Have fun! Please stay in touch. I would imagine you can get internet access over there.

We will miss you greatly.

B
Randal
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 26 2006, 09:10 AM) *

hum.. idea.gif

How close it that to Leman? biggrin.gif

Have fun! Please stay in touch. I would imagine you can get internet access over there.

We will miss you greatly.

B

Do you mean Le Mans (France)? smile.gif

And yes France does have the internet.

BTW Brittany is about as pretty an area as you can find. The people are wonderful in the countryside there, unlike what one sometimes finds in Paris.

Le Mans is between Paris and Brittany, so it won't be hard to find Brad.
Bleyseng
hell, I wanna go to Uzel. Looks really nice!!!

pic of the harbor
jarbuthnot
Uhmm sad.gif I hate to tell you, but my Uzel is land locked. Don't know where that is, looks great though!
tat2dphreak
I remember a man from nantucket... but not the woman from maine...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.