Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT flairs / 6" & 7" rims / Spacers ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
IPB Image

Basically I have 6 and 7 inch rims at least as I remember. They may be 7 and 8 but my question is can I use these rims with GT flairs ? If so about what spacer size would I need. I think I would like to go with some flairs biggrin.gif I am plaining to drive up to Washington State soon (1200 miles one way driving.gif ) and I have the chance now to have them installed while I get the car painted. smash.gif
Root_Werks
Those are 6&7's in the picture and you bet you can run them under flares. you will want to use spacers. Someone might know what size's, but I would wait until you mount the flares and measure from there. Spacers are easy to purchase. I have a few extra "wrong sizes" laying around. biggrin.gif
Mueller
i'd start with 1" spacers at a min.

one thing I noticed at the WCC up in Oregon, is that I prefered the wheel/tire fitment of VegasRacers 914 compared to Joe's Series9 car, both have GT flares, but I think Johns car is lowered more and that the wheels are closer to the fender lips....when I get around to installing my steel GT flares, I'll be making new 4-lug spacers to get my wheel/tire combo as close to the flare as possible...
drive-ability
Cool,
I do like the wheel to fit snug to the flairs as well. The fitment as stated is best done after the flairs are installed. I don't suppose one can install the flairs a little lower on the body to leave more room for shock travel and still look good? Just thought I would throw that out there. ...
John
You can certainly use those wheels with GT flares, but as others have stated, you will probably want to space them out to better fill up the flares.

How far you want to space them, how low you want to set your car, and what sizes you want to use are totally up to your own preferences. It all depends on what you want to use the car for.

If it is just for show and you want it to LOOK cool, you can slam it down and space the wheels out until they almost rub, or on the other end of the spectrum, if you want it to DRIVE cool, you may have to make comprimises to allow the suspension to work.

just my $0.02
Mueller
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jul 27 2006, 10:41 AM) *

You can certainly use those wheels with GT flares, but as others have stated, you will probably want to space them out to better fill up the flares.

How far you want to space them, how low you want to set your car, and what sizes you want to use are totally up to your own preferences. It all depends on what you want to use the car for.

If it is just for show and you want it to LOOK cool, you can slam it down and space the wheels out until they almost rub, or on the other end of the spectrum, if you want it to DRIVE cool, you may have to make comprimises to allow the suspension to work.

just my $0.02

only real negative affect I see with the spacers is that the turning won't be as crisp and it'll be a little tougher on the forearms....it would be interesting to do a few timed laps with and without the spacers (using same wheel/tire combo) to see how the spacers affect the vehicle.
Root_Werks
I never got around to spacing the fronts like I wanted to, but the rears I brought out as far as I could. I don't think you could fit a credit car between the tire and the flare. That look ROCKED! driving.gif
Root_Werks
From the front. I agree with folks stating you want to be careful when spacing the front wheels. You change the turn-in and stearing efforts. Plus you "carry" the wheel out to the flare edge the more you space it. I have a flared 914-6 now that I spent a little time with 2-3 different spacers getting the rim out as far as I could for the "look" without the tire rubbing the flare.
Brad Roberts
7's and 8's can easily use 1 inch spacers behind them with GT flares. 15's or 16's.

Your 16x6's will need at least 1.5 to look decent.

Johns car does have the "perfect" look.

I often wonder why people flare their cars and run 6's and 7's confused24.gif

B
howell914
What is John using to get his ""perfect" look". Is a staggered set up better for handling? 225/245 or would 245's all the way around be better. I've also noticed some guys have 15's in front and 16's in back are they lookinf for more side wall in the front?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.