Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goodwood Festival of Speed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gdonahoe
Recently I had the opportunity to attend the Festival of Speed at Goodwood England. I took some pictures that I hope you will enjoy. Unfortunately no 914’s but a few very significant Porches.

This is a huge event that has been held for the last several years featuring significant cars and drivers. All three days were sold out and it is a fabulously run event. Fans are allowed very close access to the cars and in many cases you can walk all around them without hindrance of any barriers. Twice each day the cars make a run up the hill climb. It is an excellent opportunity to see and speak to many famous race drivers from all types of racing. In attendance were Sterling Moss, Jack Brabham, John Surtees, Jackie Stewart, Dan Gurney, Parnelli Jones, Richard Petty, Damon Hill, Nigel Mansel, Mika Hakkinen, Markus Gronholm, Gil de Ferran, just to name a few.

You will see pictured below car #98. It was because of my involvement with this car that I was invited to attend the Goodwood event. From 1984 through 1997 I worked at Dan Gurney’s race shop in Santa Ana, California. During that time we were Toyota’s factory sponsored road racing team in North America. In 1986 we built three Toyota Celica’s for racing in the IMSA GTO category. In 1987 we won both the drivers championship with Chris Cord and the manufacturer’s championship for Toyota. The pictured car is chassis #001 of the three built. Driving the car at Goodwood was Dennis Aase, a name that longtime Porsche enthusiasts might recognize. Also attending were two of my old AAR teammates’ Gary Martin and Howard Monise. We had a great time and it was truly an honor to be invited to participate.

gdonahoe
Celica GTO ft
gdonahoe
Gurney Porsche f1
gdonahoe
gdonahoe
gdonahoe
962, 917
gdonahoe
eagle f1
gdonahoe
lotus 49 f1
swood
Great shots! Love those P-cars!!

BTW...do you know Jerry Johnson? he worked for Dan for quite some time, probably around the same time as you. Just curious.
gdonahoe
german f1's
gdonahoe
gt40/ferrari grp 6
gdonahoe
Parnelli/Richard Petty
gdonahoe
Indy Roadster/Bob Tullius
gdonahoe
Renault f1/Honda team
gdonahoe
Trans AM-GTO Grid/Me, Dennis Aase, Dan Gurney, Gary Martin
gdonahoe
QUOTE(swood @ Jul 29 2006, 09:51 PM) *

BTW...do you know Jerry Johnson? he worked for Dan for quite some time, probably around the same time as you. Just curious.

Thanks. Not sure if I remember Jerry, did he work in the machine shop? I remember Jeremy Johnson that worked on the race team.
swood
QUOTE(gdonahoe @ Jul 29 2006, 10:10 PM) *

Thanks. Not sure if I remember Jerry, did he work in the machine shop? I remember Jeremy Johnson that worked on the race team.

Yep. Jerry is Jeremys dad. He did work in the machine shop. I see them both often, known em all my life. Talk about gear heads with fuel in the veins...
dekman
GREAT pic's!!!!!! Is this event bigger than the Monterey Historics? clap56.gif
gdonahoe
QUOTE(swood @ Jul 29 2006, 10:23 PM) *

QUOTE(gdonahoe @ Jul 29 2006, 10:10 PM) *

Yep. Jerry is Jeremys dad. He did work in the machine shop. I see them both often, known em all my life. Talk about gear heads with fuel in the veins...

It took me a few minutes but even before I read your reply it came back to me that Jerry was Jeremy's dad. I definately remember both of them. Next time you see them tell them that Gary Donahoe says hello.
swood
You bet!
URY914
Gary,

That event is on my list on things to to before I die. Every year it seems to get bigger and better. Thanks for the pictures. Dan Gurney is one of the sport's top notch guys. The things that he has done in his life from driving to designing/building to team owner is remarkable.

Paul
Brad Roberts
Thank you for the shots!

I'll need to ask my friend Sean Dynes who it is he knew from that same team. I know he visits with someone from the team on a regular basis.

A good friend of mine was involved with buying/selling vintage race cars. Worked with Rahal and others all the time. She helped cooridinate getting half the cars you posted pics of "over there" for the event.

B
gdonahoe
Paul,

You are right about Dan. I started thinking about what makes him special. First he lives each day to the fullest, with good humor. He is always trying to make improvements and is never limited by conventional wisdom. Certainly the world would be a better place with more Dan Gurneys.

With living each day to the fullest in mind I highly recommend that you plan to go to Goodwood next year, don't wait. You are welcome to contact me. I'll give you details of what you can expect and how to maximize your enjoyment.

Gary
jgara962
Great pictures!! Keep posting if you have more.

I love seeing these old cars and look forward to when Speed airs their Goodwood special. Although I wish they dedicated more time to it.
Gustl
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jul 30 2006, 09:07 PM) *

Great pictures!! Keep posting if you have more.

agree.gif - just wonderful wub.gif
anthony
Awesome pics!

Some day I'd like to attend:

Rennsport Reunion
Goodwood
LeMans Classic

wbergtho
Great pictures. Wish I were there. Did they actually race competively up the hill? How did the 917 look & sound? (I saw the Sebring #3 917K winner in person when I visited Willow Springs a few of years ago...unfortunately, it was not fired up and participating)
krazykonrad
Thanks for the pics! Tey're really awesome!!! piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif
gdonahoe
Glad you guys are enjoying the pics. Been away all day. Got plenty more, will probably not get a chance to post them until tomorrow.

Gary
thesey914
Great pictures -I must go next year being that it's a few hours drive away. This year it interfered with LMC but I'm planning to go to the 'revival' in september Revival
maf914
Thanks for the great pictures. I really enjoy classic sports and GT cars.

Dan Gurney has always been a favorite of mine, both as a driver and a team owner/builder. He drove in an era that let him drive in almost every class; F1, Indy Car, Can-Am, Endurance, Stock Cars, Trans Am. What a versatile driver! I followed his Toyota association starting with the GT Celica in the photos to the dominating IMSA Toyota GTP cars. I was dissapointed when his final CART efforts didn't really work out, but that's the way it goes sometime.
gdonahoe
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jul 30 2006, 05:09 PM) *

Great pictures. Wish I were there. Did they actually race competively up the hill? How did the 917 look & sound? (I saw the Sebring #3 917K winner in person when I visited Willow Springs a few of years ago...unfortunately, it was not fired up and participating)

Some raced up the hill against the clock. Most ran up the hill hard for exhibition but not for time. Some stopped on the way up and did big smoky burn outs. Others drove up the hill sedately.

I actually did not make it to the spectator areas to watch cars go up the hill so I did not see or hear the 917 run. Most of my time was spent making sure the #98 GTO Celica was mechanically and cosmetically in good shape along with answering questions from fans and chatting about the cars history. There were many areas that I did not ever get a chance to see including the rally cars and the rally course. Also, other than the Renault F1 team I did not visit the area with most of the more current F1 cars. Time went by in a blur.
gdonahoe
Here are some more. Pair of Alfa's
gdonahoe
pair of auto unions
gdonahoe
brabham and tyrrell f1
gdonahoe
honda f1
gdonahoe
matra f1
damon hill in dads car
gdonahoe
indy rear eng offy
indy eagle turbo 4 cam ford
gdonahoe
bently
f1 grid
gdonahoe
spectator area with live band and giant screen
sand sculptures
gdonahoe
when men were men
gdonahoe
Le Mans Audi with original dirt

I think thats about all.
URY914
biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.