Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
When I bought my car the fuel pump was hanging from the hell hole with ty-raps. It has all been rebuilt and I want to know where it came from originally. ('72) Wires pointed up or down, fuel filter location etc. I am trying my best to put the car back in original condition and don't want things where they aren't supposed to be.
tracks914
I saw this picture (not my car, too much steel left in the hell hole) but cannot quite figure out the orientation of the mounts.
415PB
Just took this pic a week ago before pulling the fuel pump. Electrical connections are facing down.
415PB
Hope it helps.
boxstr
Porsche in 1975-76 relocated the fuel pump,removing it from the area below the hell hole. The reason was the fuel pump was located in an area that would heat the fuel and cause vapor lock, amongst other problems.
It may be original, but it is not the best place to have your fuel pump located. The closer to the fuel tank I have read is better, thus the factory relocated in 1975-76 the fuel pump behind a small plate to the front of the car under the fuel tank, along with the fuel filter.
CCLINVAPORVILLE
tracks914
QUOTE(415PB @ Oct 17 2003, 06:44 PM)
Hope it helps.

Is the clip behind the fuel filter meant to hold the fuel filter?
I didn't know what it was for.

Was the vapor locking only in hot Californian weather or did it happen all the time?
TheCabinetmaker
My 73 used to vapor lock any time over 95 degrees Farenhiet, but that's not the only problem. The pump sits where the heater valve dumps hot air almost directly on it. I moved it to the front trunk. Prob went away. If yours has never locked, don't worry about it till it does.
tracks914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 18 2003, 06:43 AM)
If yours has never locked, don't worry about it till it does.

I've driven the car about 6 miles the day I test drove it. It was about 40*F out that day. I then trailered it home and stripped it down the bare metal for a "frame up" restoration.
I don't know if it even locked up or not. blink.gif
Tx
Doug
TheCabinetmaker
If your going to move it, now would be the time. You should also replace allthe fuel lines. Best place to relocate it is above the belly pan under the tank, but gives limited future access.
415PB
Doug, the fuel filter fits into the clip and holds it in place.
tracks914
Anybody have two of those nice rubber mounting studs for sale?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.