Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bribar
Hi, I am looking at purchasing a rust free 914 2.0. I have a 1961 356b and it needs some good company in the garage.

The car is in the next state and I checked it over very well last week. It looks real good, but I called the guy (owned the car for over 20 years) and he can't find the engine number just in front of the Oil Filler stamped in the case. The car has has had the engine rebuilt. His mechanic put webbers on many years ago when the FI became problematic.

Why wouldn't there be an engine number on the case? Factory repplacement case?

I have the vin. Is there a db that will indicate this number is in a "range" 2.0 liters manufactured back in the day?

Would Signal Orange have come from the factory with a Brown interior?

Thanks,

Brian
Brad Roberts
Yep. Replacement case (but why??)

welcome.png

You've come to the right place.

B
G e o r g e
nothing in the vin will tell you it's a 2 liter

how many studs on intake manifold 3 or 4?

where are the spark plug holes on engine tin top or side?

welcome.png
Brad Roberts
Would Signal Orange have come from the factory with a Brown interior?

Yes. But typically they where 70-72 cars and not 73-74's.

I suggest you make sure it is a 2.0.

The number one mistake I see when people buy cars:

Everyone is told they are buying a 2.0 because this is the main car that fetches the most money besides a 914/6. I have seen 2.0 cars passed down through 2-3 people before somebody points out that it is actually a 1.7 or a 1.8 (or a 1911 which some will call a 2.0)

Pay attention to the heads.

B
davep
I have the database, but very rarely will there be a range of VIN"S that are known to be 2.0's. There are several hints that the engine was originally a 2.0: the tire rating decal on the evap tank over the gas tank shows HR tires and the emissions decal over the relay board in the engine compartment show a 120 cubic inch engine.

If the engine itself does not have the 3 studs on the head holding the intake runners, then it is not a 914 2.0 engine.
914Sixer
Over the last 25 years I have come across 3 unstamped cases that were 2.0. I feel that they were replacement engines as Brad said. I have never seen an unstamped 1.7 or 1.8. That is not to say they did not make them.
Al Meredith
I am working on a 1.8 now that has the SN on the case next to the flywheel. I also have a 912E which has a 2.0 with no SN on the case. The number is on the blower housing. I have had a factory rebuilt TY4 that had no SN . It has a VW with arrowes (recycled) and an EA for a 1.7, but no numbers after it.
Jake Raby
None of the 912E engines had engine numbers, out of hundreds I have never seen one. I have also ran across quite a few 76 model engines from original 914s that did not have a number either..
type47
can't find the engine number in front of the oil filler because the number is back on the top of the case toward the flywheel and it's either a 1.7 or 1.8. listen to the suggestion about the number of intake studs on the heads (also decal, engine tin...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.