Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my longs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
in prep for the front end work i pulled the rockers and went to the steam cleaners. the car looked good as i did all the other work. i was dreading this portion, but smile.gif . look for your selves. the pass side will come last.

kevin
"if it jams-force it. if it breaks it needed replacing anyway"
rhodyguy
asd
rhodyguy
fgh
rhodyguy
zxc
rhodyguy
qwe
rhodyguy
pass side. what's missing?
rhodyguy
blink.gif
rhodyguy
sad.gif
rhodyguy
now it gets ugly.
rhodyguy
nice work mad.gif

for you locals who can't make it down during the week. i asked the fellow at airport steam cleaning if he works on sat. yes, if you give him a call to set it up. the BEST $54.45 you will spend. esp for you upcoming winter projects.

kevin
"nature always sides with the hidden flaw"
Bleyseng
Hmmm, AC car.

Time to junk it due to rust, dude.

Geoff
boxstr
Kevin I think you should get out the wax, and buffer and polisth theose longs until they gleam. Then go to the drawing board and TAP Plastics, get a couple of lengthes of clear plastic and cut them and then heat and bends them to fit in place of your black solid metal rocker covers. That way you can show the restr of us what original longs are supposed to look like.
Goo djob.
CCLINLONGINGFORYOU
Jeroen
wub.gif
Katmanken
Nice to finally see somebody with a decent car after all those horrifying photos! dance.gif

I second the clear rockers, show it if ya got it!

I was beginning to believe that my car was the only one with a decent set of longs. As per that little blemish, fix it- it's only surface rust.

Yep, I'm going to give this one an honorary "rust free California Car" rank- even if it's from Podunk! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ken
rhodyguy
thanks. it IS a cal car!! it came to me from the sacramento area via portland(thanks j&c). i hope restoration designs has the triangular supports for the sill and the front cover piece they hacked away to run the ac lines. the weld list is growing. nothing too major. i will remove the small sections of seam seal just to be sure. i breathed a sigh of relief when the rockers came off. i always get carried away with these projects. clean, treat rust, self etch prime, and rattle can. i still have some color match silver left. then blast the rockers, paint those, the rear val, and a front one (if i can locate one that is suitable). i believe semi-flat black is pretty close.

kevin

kevin
Charles Deutsch
My passenger side longitudinals are completely solid too but the area beneath the battery is another story. My car was originally from California - if only the previous owners would've taken the battery out occasionally and sprinkled a little baking soda around the area and then hosed it off, my car would be mostly rust free.

IPB Image
IPB Image
Bleyseng
It will take you alittle work Alfred, but soon it will look like this.

Geoff
Charles Deutsch
Looks good. Do you have any "before" pictures?
Bleyseng
It wasn't too bad. Just some rust on the cutup engine shelf and a few rust holes on the inner wheel house. I stored the car while I went thru a divorce, got pushed outside by my friend where it was stored for over a year. The car filled up with water (parked under a downspout) and leaves cuz they looked at the engine and left it open including taking the car cover off.

Geoff
rhodyguy
geoff, how badly did you beat that ex-friend? downspout, leaves, lid open mad.gif

kevin
Bleyseng
I don't even answer his calls anymore.............
Porsche Rescue
Hey Kevin, as long as we're showing off, take a look at the long on my six that I got a few months ago. I was holding my breath too when I took the rockers off. But don't ask how many holes I have to patch after eliminating the AC. Only problem with cars from the sunny climes, too damn many with AC!
And don't forget that money back guarantee!
rhodyguy
jim, irish green? how about an overall shot? ah yes, the old ac fix. sooner that than longs, floors, innerwheel housings, hell holes from hell, lower rear fire wall, etc...

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.