Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Q for DadRoberts, Capn..or anyone else
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Hi,
have you guy ever seen side draft carbs on a VW motor??

specifically, in the case of using atype 4 motor, and trying to retain the lower profile of the engine...side draft webers to keep it all under a floor (think pickup)

Rich
Brad Roberts
I'm not "Dad Roberts", but I am from the same gene pool..

I think it would work great. Dual sidedraft 40's on 2.0 and up.

Most of the Turbo Bug racers ran a sidedraft Weber for years.

B
Sammy
I had a 50 DCOE on a type 4, but it was hooked to a turbo.
One of the problems with a side draft is a length of the intake runners. If they are long they need to be heated for smooth partial throttle operation. Same scenario as a single two bbl.
If they are not heated you could have fuel puddling on the walls which results in lean conditions and stumbling.

They work great at idle and full throttle, but the transitions are challenging.
If you can keep the intake runners as short as possible you might have a winner.
Dave_Darling
It will work better if you can heat up the runners, or the carb base. Or the intake charge--and a turbo is very good for that! wink.gif

--DD
Aaron Cox
aimed toward the middle? (common airbox?)
or aimed outward (where do you find the room???)

are you doing a type 4 into a type 3 or something?
r_towle
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 1 2006, 12:47 PM) *

B

Not meaning to dis you...just Dad seems to have been thinking out of the box alot longer...lol...

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 1 2006, 02:46 PM) *

aimed toward the middle? (common airbox?)
or aimed outward (where do you find the room???)

are you doing a type 4 into a type 3 or something?

The will aim out, away from the motor...to nice grills on the side..not a 914..so dont worry..think custom rat rod style...

So are there intakes out there for this in the buggy world ??

I figured, cut, flip, reweld a set of intakes for the normal webers...sort of...basically that is the idea...lots of porting to be done...but that is the basic idea..so short ones..

Rich
jd74914
They put side drafts on Rabbits all of the time laugh.gif

Are you doing a VW pickup?
Dad Roberts
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 1 2006, 03:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 1 2006, 12:47 PM) *

B

Not meaning to dis you...just Dad seems to have been thinking out of the box alot longer...lol...

biggrin.gif Toooooooo funny biggrin.gif .....I think that was a nice way to say.......he's OLDER than you biggrin.gif . Does kinda sound like you're doin a Type III, but it also sounds like you're really not ready to share yet smile.gif . You have the right idea on your manifolds. You might want to check out "Volksrods.com", there's a LOT of "outside " the box thinking there. Nothing in particular related to your setup but ya never know?............Dad driving.gif
r_towle
it will be a type 4 motor...in a custom car..
Not completely fixed on the car yet..but bug/bus chopped with a low stance...I will be going for the for two door look...sort of...

I want the motor to remain under the rear deck/floor
Still have normal usable space in there...so I can haul stuff,
Bit I want a bigger motor, run off of carbs.

If I use webers IDF/IDA, which I have seen done, it raises the floor to high.
If I use side draft webers, I assume the same size, then I can keep the floor lower, provide fresh air to the webers out each side...and still ahve a big motor...

So, what to do about the intake manifolds..is there a place in the buggy world that makes something that is easier to make fit versus taking Type 4 IDF manifolds and cutting them, flipping them, rewelding them, and porting them...seems like there must be something out there already..these motors have been around for a while..somebody must ahve gone with side drafts...

Rich

PS,
DAD...
Not older,,,just seen more, BTDT kida compliment..

Could you please share that pic of the cool type 4 pickup that you posted here once...
If I use
Aaron Cox
never seen such a manifold....

its gonna be custom....
Dad Roberts
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 2 2006, 06:09 PM) *

Could you please share that pic of the cool type 4 pickup that you posted here once...
If I use

I've never seen the manifolds you need. Here's a couple pics. Go to the Volksrods website for a full buildup. "Walts 34 pickup"
Sammy
The linkage will be a bitch.
Generally you want your linkage to be as short as possible. Having the carbs pointing outwards will make them fairly long.

Shorty webbers with no air horns on short manifolds will be as low as side drafts. Just thinkin out lowd wink.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Sammy @ Aug 3 2006, 04:00 PM) *

Generally you want your linkage to be as short as possible. Having the carbs pointing outwards will make them fairly long.

Shorty webbers with no air horns on short manifolds will be as low as side drafts. Just thinkin out lowd wink.gif

How do I say this...

Though your suggestion is quite valid.....

to easy..

This will be a show car...and easy dont win...

rich
Sammy
I gotcha.
Dad Roberts
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 3 2006, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Sammy @ Aug 3 2006, 04:00 PM) *

How do I say this...

Though your suggestion is quite valid.....

to easy..

This will be a show car...and easy dont win...

rich

Been ponderin this for a bit...(sleepin biggrin.gif ).....and wondered if you were thinkin about takin fuelie runners and basically reversin them outward? I know you would have to slice and dice a bit but you would have your base flanges and the tubing would be easy to work with. Main thing you would need is carb base flanges. As for linkage, you might be able to run cables (ala motorcycle). I seem to remember someone doing that. Single works fine on my setup, just split it. Okay......now I can eat.....and go back to ponderin ( sleep biggrin.gif ) some more......Dad driving.gif
r_towle
Honestly I would hope that I can get some sort of intake for the side drafts..at least to get the flange...prefer aluminum..

then, take a set of intakes for a normal set of IDF's cut off both flanges...turn over the tubes (or make some cool tubes)
But,,my thoguhts are if I turn over a set of normal weber intakes, the curve may be perfect to just get over the heads,,and I can always shorten them..

then weld the head flange back on..and weld the new sidedraft flange on the other end...

Im not sure if that explains it correctly...
I was honestly hoping for an easier solution..Ill have to hunt around...there may be some british car intake setup that I could utilise...at least some of it...

You know how the old ford flatheads had the little reverse scoops over the carbs...when running three carbs ....

Think of those, sticking out the side of a car...cool huh...

Rich
Dad Roberts
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 3 2006, 06:23 PM) *

You know how the old ford flatheads had the little reverse scoops over the carbs...when running three carbs ....

Rich

Well.........I would never stoop to anything so outrageous.......hell, I couldn't get back up biggrin.gif .....Cool sounds like it should cover it biggrin.gif . Not sure if you've seen my Caddy pics, but......it's sportin 3 dueces, from the factory biggrin.gif . driving.gif .Dad
PS......We will be goin down to Elsinore in the morning to see what may be the new headlights for the Caddy. Just haven't been able to get those SQUARE headlights to grow on me smile.gif .Dad driving.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Dad Roberts @ Aug 4 2006, 06:34 PM) *

Rich

Well.........I would never stoop to anything so outrageous.......hell, I couldn't get back up biggrin.gif .....Cool sounds like it should cover it biggrin.gif . Not sure if you've seen my Caddy pics, but......it's sportin 3 dueces, from the factory biggrin.gif . driving.gif .Dad
PS......We will be goin down to Elsinore in the morning to see what may be the new headlights for the Caddy. Just haven't been able to get those SQUARE headlights to grow on me smile.gif .Dad driving.gif

Show us some pics..I have never seen it...

I love that blue one..quite cool and made me figure you were the guy who might have seen this before...

Rich
Dad Roberts
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 4 2006, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Dad Roberts @ Aug 4 2006, 06:34 PM) *

Rich

Show us some pics..I have never seen it...

I love that blue one..quite cool and made me figure you were the guy who might have seen this before...

Rich

Ask and ye shall receive..............Oh yea, there is some small photoshop on those pics....white on the front and back bumper...trim by headlights is actually painted
r_towle
sweet...

Give the lights some time..I would even suggest getting shorter ones..that would look really cool, and there are so many new fangled lights out there...1.5 to 2 inch hight ones....oh keep working on those its really quite cool..

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.