Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC O.T. salvaged vehicles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sj914
I've been busy collecting parts for my other project and had been looking in the CA DMV website about re-titling a salvaged vehicle.

According to the DMV:
"Be sure you have bills of sale for all the major and minor parts used in the reconstruction of your vehicle. These documents should identify:

* The part purchased.
* The year, make, model, and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle from which the parts were removed.
* The name, address, telephone number, signature, and driver license, identification card, Social Security card, or Federal Employer Identification number of the person from whom you bought or acquired the part."

Has anyone ever re-registered a vehicle and did you have to provide all this information to the DMV?

Dr Evil
Unless things have changed since 2 years ago, no. They do not know what you did to the vehicle so how will they know what you fixed. If your car was salvaged and you repaired it all it should need is a safety inspection. What you quoted sounds like the motorcycle rules (much different).
sj914
The info I quoted was generically for any vehicle.

Now that you mention it, I didn't know there were separate rules for motorcycles.

btw I'm building a motorcycle from a salvaged bike.
Joe Bob
Bet ya if ya showed up at the DMV with a running vehicle and showed them the paper work you have it would be signed right off....I would consider joining AAA.....the best part is they have DMV services and are usually a little easier to deal with.

The only vehcle that you CAN'T get re titled is a vehcile that was deemed wrecked or dismantled via a salvage yard. Insurance companies total cars out all the time and then they get put back on the road with a salvage title.
Dr Evil
Actually, for the bikes it is the same. It is the autos/motorcycles that you build form scratch that you need to do differently. Harleys are the typical issue here as you need to show proof of purchase of all of the parts including the saddle. For a salvaged car that was already registered previously you should only need proof of previous title and a safety inspection. I have salvaged a few vehicles in CA including motorcycles. Allt he bikes needed was a VIN inspection and a safety check at the local shop (lights, brakes, driving).
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ZZZZZ @ Aug 2 2006, 01:38 PM) *

Bet ya if ya showed up at the DMV with a running vehicle and showed them the paper work you have it would be signed right off....I would consider joining AAA.....the best part is they have DMV services and are usually a little easier to deal with.

The only vehcle that you CAN'T get re titled is a vehcile that was deemed wrecked or dismantled via a salvage yard. Insurance companies total cars out all the time and then they get put back on the road with a salvage title.

Good point Mike
sj914
The only paperwork I have is the salvage certificate. I just want to beable to get some new plates and get it back on the road.

I didn't think I could re-title a salvaged vehicle either.
Joe Bob
Who did you buy it from? Insurance company, bone yard, DAPO?
Dr Evil
Salvage certificate? No title? That could be a different story.
sj914
Salvage yard in SoCal somewhere.
sj914
Now if I showed up at the DMV or an inspection shop, how would anyone know if the parts were replacement parts, so no separate reciepts for every little thing.
Brian Mifsud
I retitled an old motorcycle which was NOT salvaged.. but when I went to CA DMV.. they said they had NO record of the bike because it was "Too OLD"... (last registered in 1981, bike was 1976 model year). I had to get numbers verified (frame and engine) from Police, and then go through safety inspection from DMV..but I might as well of built the bike from scratch and "invented" the numbers as far as they cared.

So if you follow that rift, and somehow find a set of numbers from an old bike/car which was not salvaged.. but also lost.. maybe you could just do a quick "swap"?
sj914
That might work, but the bike is a 2002 and it's got the VIN stamped on in a couple places.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.