Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Must be crazy. Bebe is running great now.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
Now I can get my launch on with the 11's out back but now I'm thinking a higher winding V8 with more HP and same torque.

I must be high.

Maybe turbo what i have?
blower?
LS6?

all aluminum injected aurora engine ?

ideas?
Crazyhippy
re-build for more RPM... spin it higher, maybe a different cam...

Turbo's would be a LOT of work, as would fitting a SC (although I do have a hookup @ vortech if needed... 30-35% off)

The LS series dont fit easily.. the throttle body would sit where your right shoulder wants to be.

You can build more HP than the car will handle w/ a NA SBC. You begin to lose street-ability around 500hp, but 500hp will spin sticky tires (granted only 235's) in 3rd @ 70 on the freeway biggrin.gif

BJH
wbergtho
On an LS series motor, you can reverse the intake manifold and now the throttle body points rearward....like on my car.
Crazyhippy
so you lose a big chunk of trunk?

BJH
wbergtho
The rear trunk becomes close to useless due to the airbox and intake hoses, etc. I can put two medium size gym bags back there or one large one...or a small cooler full of beer...(it won't stay cold very long though!)
Dr. Roger
would you happen to know if there is a big weight savings going to LS6?

i can see where there could be some potential for increased handling if the engine was lighter.
3liter914-6
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Aug 3 2006, 03:36 AM) *

would you happen to know if there is a big weight savings going to LS6?

i can see where there could be some potential for increased handling if the engine was lighter.

The block is supposed to be about 90lbs lighter vs a Gen 1 iron block SBC. The intake is composite, so you save some weight there. The heads are aluminum, so that's probably another 30lbs over a iron headed SBC. So there's definitely a good bit of weight on the table. IMO, no real reason to go with a real LS6, a simple cam swap in an LS1 will have you belting out a good many more ponys than an LS6 for less outlay.
Andyrew
Rogger.. your engine has a LOT left in it.

I'd guestimate your at around 200hp...

Get it on a dyno and tune it buddy...

Remember how similar your car felt to the 944 turbo? Its only making 250hp at 3k

Dr. Roger
i found something very bad last night.......

the 2 plugs on the front left bank were VERY fouled. All of the others actually looked nice and light tan.

dang it. i don't remember any unusual assembly issues.

the only way I know to troubleshoot is to pull the engine and pull the head. a leakdown test will tell me wheather it's the rings or valves but i don't have that setup here or know of anyone close by who does.

there were a couple of valves that were a little tight but i fixed those.
all valve oil seals were on correctly.
rings and pistons were gapped.

so I guess i'm not all that engine builder i used to be...... =-(
drive-ability
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Aug 3 2006, 04:50 PM) *

i found something very bad last night.......

the 2 plugs on the front left bank were VERY fouled. All of the others actually looked nice and light tan.

dang it. i don't remember any unusual assembly issues.

the only way I know to troubleshoot is to pull the engine and pull the head. a leakdown test will tell me wheather it's the rings or valves but i don't have that setup here or know of anyone close by who does.

there were a couple of valves that were a little tight but i fixed those.
all valve oil seals were on correctly.
rings and pistons were gapped.

so I guess i'm not all that engine builder i used to be...... =-(

I assume the engine began to misfire and you isolated it to those 2. You left out what they were fouled by but I guess your indicating its oil. I would make sure theres no underling ignition or fuel issues for sure. Oil is oil for sure, how many miles on the engine? What kind of rings did you use steel or molly?
McMark
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Aug 3 2006, 04:50 PM) *

a leakdown test will tell me wheather it's the rings or valves but i don't have that setup here or know of anyone close by who does.

bye1.gif wink.gif
Dr. Roger
Hahahhaa,

Shoulda' figured Mark.... =-)

Oil is the culprit on both plugs.

rings are cast. no chrome.
she's got about 250 miles on her.

$$$$$ ?????
(thinking outloud.... move into GF's house and rent my house out...
XXXX a month (X) how many months = freshened engine, 6 point cage, renegade cooling, and 930 gearbox!

makes perfect sense to me. happy11.gif
neo914-6
Must be crazy

Was there a doubt? laugh.gif calvin.gif smoke.gif welcome.png

$14k LS7
Dr. Roger
$14K?????

it looks like i will be doing my own rebuild. LOL

priorities
#1 renegade cooling
#2 engine teardown
Mueller
bummer to hear this Roger....

I'd stick with the Chevy small block, old or newer modern...no need to play with the Olds aruara motor, they have issues and if you have problems, and are not going to be as easy or cheap to fix as a SBC....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.