Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Automatic 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bleyseng
How 'bout flipping the whole damn diff section???? Like this. See Shoptalk link

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=...asc&start=0
bondo
Neato.. inboard brakes!

I've sort of wondered about vanagon trannies for 914 use, because I see them a lot at work. Lots of gearing options available, and apparently they can be built pretty strong.
byndbad914
QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 2 2006, 06:12 PM) *

Neato.. inboard brakes!

Are they inboard brakes? I have been looking at that setup and I don't see any type of suspension? Looks to me like the output flanges end up mating to that big chunk of aluminum plate, then the outputs with brakes are there - otherwise why the wheel studs and spacers on that hub?

So I don't get it, how does the suspension work? Building a "rigid" chopper version of the 914 confused24.gif

edit - notice the solid brake line too, so that outer hub ain't movin'....
bondo
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Aug 2 2006, 06:24 PM) *

QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 2 2006, 06:12 PM) *

Neato.. inboard brakes!

Are they inboard brakes? I have been looking at that setup and I don't see any type of suspension? Looks to me like the output flanges end up mating to that big chunk of aluminum plate, then the outputs with brakes are there - otherwise why the wheel studs and spacers on that hub?

So I don't get it, how does the suspension work? Building a "rigid" chopper version of the 914 confused24.gif

edit - notice the solid brake line too, so that outer hub ain't movin'....

Good point.. it looks like a suspensionless (and somewhat narrow) dragster of some sort. So they aren't really inboard brakes.

The problem with that setup is the same as turning the whole trans upside down (like you have to do with a G50). You either have steep axle angles, or you have oil pan clearance problems. You can always go dry sump though (like the Ultimas).

rick 918-S
That thead is awesome! I think the Govener passage could be threaded at the mating surface and capped. Then a fitting could be drilled and tapped from the outside of the case halves and a external hard line run to complete the connection. Easy peasy.... idea.gif

Didn't notice the steep axle angle thing... huh.gif blink.gif
byndbad914
yeah, so I clicked on the imbedded link in the first post and started reading the other forum thread - out of a 500Hp dragster apparently...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.