Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dry Sump on a Type IV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
I just picked a lightly used Autocraft two stage dry sump oil pump for a Type IV.

Anyone running dry sump? Can/would you post photo? Got a pretty good idea what I should do, but would would like to know what others have done and recommend.

Thanks.
ChrisFoley
That pump moves a lot of oil but I'm pretty sure it doesn't fit behind the stock cooling shroud. A company called EuroPerf in NJ makes one that fits with stock cooling.
groot
Greg,

Not happy with the Accumulator? I don't want to keep your money if you're not going to use it.
john rogers
When I had the stroker four it used a dry sump system that was installed in the mid eighties. It used an Autocraft 3 stage pump which forced the creation of custom motor mounts. One of the suctions was hooked to a custom sump cover and the other was to a tee to the valve covers. This all of course required a 911 alt and fan shroud. A front oil cooler was used and ran -10 braided ss lines through the right side heater box. The return went to a dry sump tank that sat where the batt usually sits and the oil filter was in the return to the tank. The pressure pump stage took suction from the bottom of the oil tank. There was no thermostat ever used, just warm the engine oil before going fast worked well.

I would recommend using -12 line if you are going to do this just in case you decide to convert to a six later on you will have the right sized lines.
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 3 2006, 04:02 AM) *

That pump moves a lot of oil but I'm pretty sure it doesn't fit behind the stock cooling shroud. A company called EuroPerf in NJ makes one that fits with stock cooling.

Got one of Jakes DTM systems on the way. biggrin.gif Shouldn't be a problem.
gregrobbins
QUOTE(groot @ Aug 3 2006, 04:17 AM) *

Greg,

Not happy with the Accumulator? I don't want to keep your money if you're not going to use it.

Well, uh, yes I am happy with it. Have two cars. Building this motor for a HSRWest vintage racer. The acumulator is in the other car.

Thanks for checking.
rfn026
The Type IV used a dry sump back in the early seventies. It was critical for the super Vees when they ran the oval tracks. I have one of these very early dry sump systems.

The pump fits directly into the stock oil pump location. Then there was a fabricated oil tank mounted behind the seat. I still have everything but so far no one has been able to figure the plumbing out. One hell of a lot of connections.

Since I won't be running ovals I'm sticking to the conventional oiling system. Besides oil has gotten a lot better in the last thirty years.

Richard Newton
URY914
QUOTE(rfn026 @ Aug 3 2006, 07:24 AM) *

The Type IV used a dry sump back in the early seventies. It was critical for the super Vees when they ran the oval tracks. I have one of these very early dry sump systems.

The pump fits directly into the stock oil pump location. Then there was a fabricated oil tank mounted behind the seat. I still have everything but so far no one has been able to figure the plumbing out. One hell of a lot of connections.

Since I won't be running ovals I'm sticking to the conventional oiling system. Besides oil has gotten a lot better in the last thirty years.

Richard Newton

Hey Richard,

Glad you've posted. Let us know what other goodies you have.

Paul
groot
I've had good luck so far with the CB 4-gear dry sump pump. Great price, too.

It does require modifying the fan housing (not a problem for you with the DTM). I did some mods to it to make sure it fits well, but not that big of a deal to install it.
Jake Raby
Watch that pump!

I have seen no less than 4 camshafts snapped in half due to it... The pump drive is sometimes not square ith the pump bore and the added load of those huge vanes makes it more prone to ocur.

Don't mean to rain on the parade, just telling you to watch out!

Also the way that you take oil to and from the pump/tank is critical with a TIV. There are many ways to do it, some work and some don't.

BTW- DTM left yesterday!
Al Meredith
The dry sump system was used on FSV when they were aircooled. no need for a blower housing because they were slipstream cooled.
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 3 2006, 09:51 AM) *

Watch that pump!

I have seen no less than 4 camshafts snapped in half due to it... The pump drive is sometimes not square ith the pump bore and the added load of those huge vanes makes it more prone to ocur.

Don't mean to rain on the parade, just telling you to watch out!

Also the way that you take oil to and from the pump/tank is critical with a TIV. There are many ways to do it, some work and some don't.

BTW- DTM left yesterday!

Jake, store site says the you are working on a dry sump kit for the type iv. Anything you can/will share with us at this time.

Thanks,
Jake Raby

[/quote]

Jake, store site says the you are working on a dry sump kit for the type iv. Anything you can/will share with us at this time.

Thanks,
[/quote]

It's currently only available on my complete engines... It's still considered a new development and I am watching results closely. So far I have used 6 of these.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.